OCR01381 - Final Fantasy X "Journey's End"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...

this reminds me a LOT of madonna's "frozen", which i really like.

i'm not going to nitpick anything in this one. it's a beautiful piece. definitely a pleasure to listen to indeed. production is well-executed. i enjoy the ambience. this could definitely be used in the credits of a major motion picture. :)

awesome work. a highly recommended tune. great job, guys! (and gal) ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds very... well, Final Fantasy 10-ish. I love the original melody and this truly captures the mood. It's icy, sad, somewhat ethereal and surreal. Loving especially those drums from the beginning, those which sound like they echo from under water. Reminds me about Baaj Temple. The lyrics are simple but enough to descripe the story of Yuna and Tidus.

I'll give this 9/10.

• 3 weeks later...

This song, more than almost all other songs I hear on this site, reminds me of the game which spawned it. This is not to say that the piece stays too close to the original, far from it, it just captures the essence of the game(especially its end), and goes in a new direction. The lyrics are top notch, the drums don't piss me off too much, and I'm in love with the time signature. This song easily gets five out of five chairs.

• 2 weeks later...

While i find Final Fantasy 10 to be one of the worst in the series, this mix if BY FAR the best Final Fantasy mix i have heard to date. After initially listening to the song i was awestruck. It is calming, but powerfully moving all at the same time. I also loved how the song evolved from the first draft to final draft thanks to Sephfire's posting of the original versions. Sephfire did a wonderful job with the base arangement, though initially somewhat bland/repetitive, it was beautifully done. GrayLighting's contribution helped round out the overall mix while giving it an extra push toword the ethereal and making the mix technically sound, but, the vocals are what brought it all together. Pixitricks' voice is that of an angel and it adds so much depth to an already deep and moving piece. The lyrics are beautiful, if somewhat repetitive, and relate so well with the game. When i listen to this song i can picture the scene with Tidus and Yuna swimming in Macalania Woods, and the lyrics are yuna's thoughts throughout the scene. It's the only mix i have listened to that mentally transports me back to the game. That being said, the only qualms i have about the drums at 1:24 the seem to divert attention away from the rest of the song. Whether it was intentional or not i think it would have been better for the drums to be less noticable. All-in-all very VERY well done. 9.5/10 stars.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the best cuts off of this site. Some of you didn't like the lyrics, but I think they're the best part of this song. I've listened to this quite a bit when I've been depressed. It kind of takes you out of yourself. Anyway, it's a great download, and I listen to it a lot.

• 3 months later...

What can I say that hasn't been said already, heh. Well, I've been a bit of a fan of pixietrick's voice for sometime now, partially because of the choral singer/musician in me and another part because of the Final Fantasy fan that I am, and yet another part because I'm human and this is quite an emotionally stirring piece.

I began to think that pixietricks should sing professionally until I read her biography, and I am so glad she has been doing this since she was young and continues to do so today. I would hate to think of such a talented young musician/singer/songwriter/playwright to go unnoticed and untapped (Do I sense the next American Idol? haha). I sadly did not persue a career in music after high school but I still enjoy it as a hobby. This isn't about me, however, so moving on... :)

While many may argue that this video game was not the best in its series, I must admit I was very touched at the end of the game and yes, even teary-eyed, and this song does so much to bring forth those feelings again. Any musical piece that has the ability to move one emotionally is truly a work of art. I don't think that it would be a far stretch to compare some of the musicians on this site to that of Mozart, and the ability he, too, had in moving others with music. I have to agree with BreakTekk that this song definitely reminds me of the game that spawned it.

My hat is off to you pixietricks, as well as GrayLightning and Sephfire. Please continue to do great work as it is often a welcome retreat in this busy and hectic life/schedule of mine :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a beautiful mix that evokes all the right emotions. It's expansive and chilly and I could easily see it floating across an icy sea. The time signature seems genius to me, and keeps the whole thing interesting. I think it also lends some "coolness" to the song, in every sense of the word.

There is something that bothers me, however. I have noticed in Pixie's mixes that she tends to go a little sharp (as in pitch) on many notes. It's a problem I think for anyone with a very pure voice. The other problem with a pure voice is that it is hard to bring punch to a song, and I felt this one could have used a little more punch. There was some harmony which helped, and I would have liked to hear more; I think that would have given the song a little more oomph without going overboard.

At any rate, that's my nitpicking...overall it's still a beautiful track and represents a great effort from its contributors.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just listened to this song because... well, I don't remember why I decided to listen to it; never seriously played FF:X or anything.

This song, along with AP's Terra remix, are two examples of awesome tracks that help explain why the 6/4 // 6/8 time signatures are my favorite.

edit: alright. this is cruel - it's hardly a review. so here goes. There's a lingering sense of adventure in the back pocket of a girl who is deep down equally afraid of the world, but slowly and deliberately she realizes her thrill-seeking esprit will have its time to thrive in what feels like the coldest winter .... with the help of her flame.

maybe. something like that. whatever it is, i really enjoy this. Beautiful vocals (not surprising, but pleasant through and through) - as much as I like the vibe of this mix, adding them kinda made this remix. The lyrics are great. hand percussion is intricate and engaging and are a real standout for me, though i question some of the mixing. some things sound so... distant in a tube far far away.

This was one of two songs that got me to download the entire set of OCR remixes. It's also what introduced me to Jill's voice. Back before I reset my MP3 player's settings, I think the #times played value for this song was somewhere in the 70s or 80s.

The arrangement is brilliant; the switch in timing works really well with the lyrics to make this almost a new song, while still keeping the sense of desolation and loneliness brought to mind by the source. Sephfire and GrayLightning really outdid themselves on the arrangement, and pixie's vocals on top of all that takes this song from amazing to indescribable. I can't think of a single thing that I don't absolutely love about this song. KF

• 11 months later...

I like this song; it just feels like it was recorded out in some barren Arctic landscape. And the beats have this tribal feel that I adore. Still all of this pales in comparison to Jill's sheer brilliant vocal work.

Lyrically, this reminds me to a degree of Cher's Believe.

O.k., well, they're practically polar opposites, but still...

Believe is all about being strong enough to conquer being unlucky in love, Journey's End is a heartfelt plea of desperation.

Still they provide an interesting contrast.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This was the first ReMix I'd ever heard from OCR and it hooked me for life. I remember hearing this for the first time 2 and a half years ago from a friend who introduced me to OCR and I haven't been the same since. Addict for life! Simple amazing job on the song and vocals. The song convinced me to play Final Fantasy X and a huge smile came across my face when I heard the original song in-game.

Amazing ReMix!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01381 - Final Fantasy X "Journey's End"