SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Oh I also forgot to mention, the final compo ZIP file will be up sometime tomorrow. I'm awaiting a few other bonuses and then I have to compile a couple other things for you guys. But in the final ZIP you can expect: all the compo songs with corrected tags, complete lyrics, and a handful of bonus songs and other goodies!!! :mrgreen:

Congrats Amphibious!

What a fun competition guys! We have many new sonic remixes, we've shared stories, we've felt anger, we've loved, lost, and triumphed, but most of all, we've learned that, despite our differences, and despite all the commas in this run-on sentence, pancakes and lizards truly CAN live together in harmony (hehe, musical pun!).

Big thanks to our Superior(X) (ohhh the puns!!!) for putting on such a fantastic competition. :)

And the results are in:

Amphibious: 27, Gario: 10

AMPHIBIOUS WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

finally a reason to post this.

tumblr_m087o9vGkN1qm5cmpo1_400.gif

congrats and huge props to Mr. Amphibious!

with all love though, i still think that didgeridoo (and Gario's entire mix) was beyond sexy.

So yeah, thank you everyone! Since this has been so successful, I think I'll plan on hosting a SZRC on a yearly basis (similar to how DarkeSword hosts the Mega Man compos yearly), if there is continued interest.

If anyone has any feedback for me, in terms of how the compo was ran, structure of the tournament, voting, or anything at all, please feel free to let me know! I'd like to incorporate suggestions into the next compo, if there is anything that needs adjusted. Thanks!

yeah, you should permaban Syllix.

seriously though, i enjoyed it, i think everything was set up fine, and even though myself and some others had a bunch of when-duty-calls IRL issues i still looked forward to hearing everybody's arrangements.

You can count me in if there's another throwdown next year.

More Jordanius loving?! :D Man, though I was gutted that you went out in the first round, it's great to see you bouncing back too. It'll be cool to see what you've got :D

well... this time it technically isn't my song/source, but you'll see. :mrgreen:

Guys I split my head open, and now I can't remember how to make music D:

jk, a few staples won't stop me

dafuq man. you serious? about the music-forgetting, i mean. head-splitting, pffffft big deal.

Thank you everyone!

I have to say I was consistently surprised every round. I really didn't count on making it to the end, but I guess this helped fill up my summer with some fun music making. Thanks to everyone for any feedback, critiques, or general comments. These compos are always an amazingly fun way for me to try and learn new things and get better at making music.

There have been some amazing entries throughout this whole thing, its been a blast and I'm very impressed with errybody. I'm excited to hear some of the bonus mixes too :)

Pardon my depressing streak again, but...

7 years ago"]Who knows, maybe one of these days I might cover (Sky Sanctuary) again, although chances are it'll be a few years before I think of taking that cannon :wink:

That makes me really sad that I couldn't do the Sky Sanctuary matchup. With all the shit I got on "Tomorrow's Wake" early on (and all the difficulty getting past the panel again), I was kind of hoping to get the chance to go against Gario in the final. Sure, it was nice I did Planet Wisp, but it breaks my heart that I can't make anything like this possible. :cry:

Now you see why I feel down, and why I consider myself not a part of this community anymore. You guys will all benefit if I just leave, I know it. :cry:

Um, no. I'm not sure how much Brandon was joking, but I think it was a joke.

It does suck that you didn't get to do Sky Sanctuary in the compo, but why not do it anyway? I for one would love to hear it :)

First and foremost, a huge congratulations is in order for Amph. Nice one, man. Congrats on the big win. There was a lot of heavy hitters in this competition and i always said from the get go that this thing could go in any direction. Glad to see you and your track make it to the top of the podium, that was quite a gauntlet to make it through. All the best from here on out as well, man :)

Gario, even though i voted for Amph i did find it humbling that you brought all those artists back for the last tune. I'm not sure if i made it clear in my last post. Regardless of the fact that i may have said it sounded a bit too cluttered for my liking there's something quite noble about what you did. I wonder if anybody else would have done something like that if they made it to the final round. Anyways, the fact of the matter is you did it and i commend you for it, sir. A good and interesting final battle.

There truly was never a dull moment in this, despite the unneeded drama's..

You guys will all benefit if I just leave, I know it. :cry:

...er ..look. Ok. From what i can see, we were celebrating the end of the competition. You came along with these posts about reminding yourself of hopes you had 7 years ago and isn't that just a tad trying to force the attention on to yourself? Why do that now while we're trying to say congrats to the finalists? And honestly, just exactly WHY would you need this competition to make your mash-up legit? I truly do NOT understand this train of thought. If this competition never existed do you mean to tell me you would go your whole life NEVER making one tune? It just sounds so stupid from where i'm sitting, i'm sorry e_e

I know that it came so suddenly, but my mental health has become really messed up. It's gotten to the point that I'm A) either seeking for attention, or B) feeling so low that I can't do anything at all. And I tried to get counselling for it in the past month, but I was refused due to lack of general interest on the part of the organisers.

Say what you like about my moves being dickish, but in regards to my mental attitudes throughout the compo, I'm back to square one - the person so afraid that they'd stumble early. I never really gave the post much thought until randomly reading through the mix's posts a couple of months back, so I don't really see it as an ambition per se, but just a complete missed opportunity.

All I want is a resolution for this problem, other than 'not taking part in compos again', which I know for sure is a given. I'm not saying that Amph wasn't at all the right person to win - in fact, he certainly fought his way through. But the hostility throughout the compo really took its toll and brought me down with it.

I'm still going to keep a hold of a handful of the songs from this compo, as a reminder of the amount of fun I had doing the whole thing. It's not going to change my moodset, but it's my way of acknowledging how well it came through on a musical level at least. You all did well... and in many, many cases, musically better than me :(

It has been a fantastic compo. Even being in knocked out in the first round I enjoyed following this one. Major congrats to Amphibious. You have definitely earnt the title and it has been great to see you progress thoughout the competition. I don't know if I'll get that rematch between Robbie and Digi but gosh darn it, we may have to have a "Fight Club" styled one-off rematch :P (just kidding, that would be suicide on my part haha)

Much love to all. I should have perhaps posted a few more times but I have been watching the compo closely and impressed by all the entries.

I know that it came so suddenly, but my mental health has become really messed up. It's gotten to the point that I'm A) either seeking for attention, or B) feeling so low that I can't do anything at all. And I tried to get counselling for it in the past month, but I was refused due to lack of general interest on the part of the organisers.

Say what you like about my moves being dickish, but in regards to my mental attitudes throughout the compo, I'm back to square one - the person so afraid that they'd stumble early. I never really gave the post much thought until randomly reading through the mix's posts a couple of months back, so I don't really see it as an ambition per se, but just a complete missed opportunity.

All I want is a resolution for this problem, other than 'not taking part in compos again', which I know for sure is a given. I'm not saying that Amph wasn't at all the right person to win - in fact, he certainly fought his way through. But the hostility throughout the compo really took its toll and brought me down with it.

I'm still going to keep a hold of a handful of the songs from this compo, as a reminder of the amount of fun I had doing the whole thing. It's not going to change my moodset, but it's my way of acknowledging how well it came through on a musical level at least. You all did well... and in many, many cases, musically better than me :(

Please tell me this is some kind of elaborate joke post concocted in order to get me to nerd rage.

Not to derail this conversation too much, but they marvellous things with medications these days, and don't give up if you don't like the first one (or two or three) you try.

Rexy, I can relate because I'm an extremely anxious person. It's taken a lot of prayer and re-training of my thinking to get me where I am now (not being afraid to be in compos and all), and I'm still anxious. I don't think I'm ever completely focused on any one thing because my thoughts are always going. Please don't beat on yourself. One of the best things that gets me through is trying to essentially ignore what I feel and doing what I know is right or good regardless of how afraid or bitter or whatever I may be.

I'm really glad that you were a part of this compo, even if I didn't always vote for you I still loved every single one of your songs. If I ever make a playlist of "favorite SZRC tracks," I'm pretty sure you'll be in there.

Ok everybody, the complete SZRC zip file is now available for download. It features all of the retagged compo songs, lyrics, album art/banners, plus some bonus tracks! The bonus songs include:

• Magellanic - Super Sonic Fireballz (A Lava Reef mix inspired by Liam's possible Round 2 matchup)
  • A revised version of KingTiger's "Ruined Puppet" Round 1 song now with revised vocals featuring Martha Irvine
  • A revised version of my "Pyroclastic Tides" mix featuring C7 that I restructured a bit
  • Rexy's Emerald Hill & Planet Wisp mix "Go Into the Light"
  • Another bonus track by Rexy, "Welcome to the Ice Cream Zone", which is a remix of Sweet Mountain and Ice Cap Zone
  • Plus, a super awesome compo megamix arranged by Sir Jordanius featuring nearly nine and a half minutes of songs from the tournament all mashed-up together!

So get on it! For anyone who just wants to grab the bonus songs, I've made them available in their own zip file. Both links are back in the first post as well!

Thanks again everyone for making this a truly enjoyable and memorable tournament! As I've said numerous times, I've had a ton of fun hosting it and I really appreciate everyone's participation! Thanks!

a super awesome compo megamix arranged by Sir Jordanius featuring nearly nine and a half minutes of songs from the tournament all mashed-up together!

WUT. A megamix actually HAPPENED?! That's it, I'm hearing THAT before I go to sleep :o

Still, thinking about the suggestions though, I'm not sure if my mental state right now is that deep it can only be resolved by medication, or even if I know of anything that gets served over the counter at the local pharmacy. It's going to take some time to heal, provided I can actually FIND anything to try and break away from it.

[A whole 10 minutes later]

Heard the mega mix in full. Sir Jordan, YOU are the MAN. :D

Ok everybody, the complete SZRC zip file is now available for download. It features all of the retagged compo songs, lyrics, album art/banners, plus some bonus tracks! The bonus songs include:

• Magellanic - Super Sonic Fireballz (A Lava Reef mix inspired by Liam's possible Round 2 matchup)
  • A revised version of KingTiger's "Ruined Puppet" Round 1 song now with revised vocals featuring Martha Irvine
  • A revised version of my "Pyroclastic Tides" mix featuring C7 that I restructured a bit
  • Rexy's Emerald Hill & Planet Wisp mix "Go Into the Light"
  • Another bonus track by Rexy, "Welcome to the Ice Cream Zone", which is a remix of Sweet Mountain and Ice Cap Zone
  • Plus, a super awesome compo megamix arranged by Sir Jordanius featuring nearly nine and a half minutes of songs from the tournament all mashed-up together!

So get on it! For anyone who just wants to grab the bonus songs, I've made them available in their own zip file. Both links are back in the first post as well!

Thanks again everyone for making this a truly enjoyable and memorable tournament! As I've said numerous times, I've had a ton of fun hosting it and I really appreciate everyone's participation! Thanks!

Thank YOU SuperiorX. This competition was a great idea, and the music that came out of it was some of the best Sonic remixes I've heard in a while (maybe ever). It takes true guts to hold down something like this.

Thanks for being dedicated through everything (issues, drama, whatever else might have gone down)- hopefully next year will be an equally if not more awesome year for Sonic music. : D