Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

You should narrate every single song. Every single one. And talk about random things, not just LoZ:LA stuff. Like, talk about mortgages and philosophy and cooking. That'd be sweet.

What kind of vocals were you offering to supply?

Oh No! I know that can be quite good with some tracks, but not with something like this...

People will listen to this album wanting to hear the Zelda Remixes, and someone talknig over them can ruin peoples experience

Good luck with the Project folks, cant wait...

I have a lot to say here.

Link's Awakening took the series in the right direction by giving each dungeon its own music. Therefore, it's easy to understand why Link's Awakening was chosen as OC Remix's first official Zelda remix album. Waaay over in the workshop section, HylianLemon is arranging an unofficial Oracle of Ages project called Essence of Lime. It won't be released here, but it'll probably be popular on Zelda fan sites. On the other hand, if one wanted to remix any of the first three Zelda games, they'd have to combine them all into one because they don't have enough of OSTs to stand alone. I once thought it was a bad idea to arrange an Ocarina of Time album because I didn't think the nostalgic charm could be beaten, but Voices of the Lifestream was awesome, so Ocarina of Time should have at least as good of an arrangement album.

the second one, xenon.

I have a lot to say here.

Link's Awakening took the series in the right direction by giving each dungeon its own music. Therefore, it's easy to understand why Link's Awakening was chosen as OC Remix's first official Zelda remix album. Waaay over in the workshop section, HylianLemon is arranging an unofficial Oracle of Ages project called Essence of Lime. It won't be released here, but it'll probably be popular on Zelda fan sites. On the other hand, if one wanted to remix any of the first three Zelda games, they'd have to combine them all into one because they don't have enough of OSTs to stand alone. I once thought it was a bad idea to arrange an Ocarina of Time album because I didn't think the nostalgic charm could be beaten, but Voices of the Lifestream was awesome, so Ocarina of Time should have at least as good of an arrangement album.

hey kid. just fyi, people who frequent this board know what's going on. i'm actually a musician on the Essence of Lime project, i think, although it's been months since i ever did any things for it.

besides that, i'm only doing this because i think it needs to be finished - this project chronicles a significant range of the history of OCR. i could care less about the game - it's the music that interested me. the game felt really boring to me. i'm not much of a handheld gamer. i honestly went through the soundtrack, picked out two of the tracks i felt would be the most difficult to arrange (animal house and face shrine) and did them, for the challenge more than anything.

personal feelings aside, don't compare or rate the albums next to each other. there's no way to compare, say, radical dreamers to a game like ff7. not only is the range of styles and music significantly different, but the size of it, the nostalgia factor (basically no one has beaten radical dreamers, including me, where ff7 is one of the most popular games of all time). this project won't even be close in terms of scope as the ff7 project, and the overall feel will be different because of the genre restrictions. when you look at an album, don't think it's better or worse than another one. just look at it from the perspective of any remix - it may not be your favorite genre, or the way you wish it had been arranged, but it's still a unique piece of music arranged by a unique person who has feelings and a personality and a life outside of providing YOU with free music. that's why schedules are never followed, and awesome WIPs never get finished, and every track isn't a masterwork like some unnamed tracks on this website.

tl;dr version: this won't be on the same level as ff7. not every track is 'pillar of salt'. suck it up.

Whoops! If I came off as a control freak or egotist, I meant to say I didn't expect this to be the same as Voices of the Lifestream. Also, if a game like Final Fantasy VII could be remixed so well that even fanboys wouldn't gripe about the nostalgic factor, then what's to stop a theoretical Ocarina of Time remix project from the same exact website that created Voices of the Lifestream?

And it's not like I said there ever was a bad OC Remix album (except for that one thing about the Turbo HD Remix soundtrack). In fact, as long as there's still musical talent to be found in gamers and game creators, I don't think there ever will be a bad album. Perhaps more albums are being created at a faster rate and I'm letting it go to my head.

Brad's just very blunt with his thoughts. It's why some of us have grown to love him. Don't take it too personally, he does it to everyone.

In regards to your comments, each project is the realized vision of the director and the remixers involved, so no two will ever be the same, even if the same person is directing. Suggestions are never a bad thing, unless they're not well-thought-out. I do agree with Brad that, if one were seeking the right mindset for approaching albums, that you not judge one against another. They may all be from one site, but they are worlds until themselves. Some remixers do it for the love of the game, the love of the music, or the love of the challenge. And there has yet to be an album where SOMEONE hasn't had a gripe about something with it. There's no perfect album that's had no negative critiquing and feedback, because it's all a part of the music life-cycle.

Sorry if I'm just repeating stuff that's already been said, but I felt like I should say something. Brad, feel free to punch me in the shoulder for this at MAG if I'm intruding on your territory, sir! :sleepdepriv:

Edit: Wow, didn't see how many projects you posted on til after I made this.

basically no one has beaten radical dreamers, including me

I've beaten Radical Dreamers a few times. :P

But that's beyond the point - the people with these projects know what they're doing and how to approach the albums. We never strive to beat what we think is the personal best remix project out there (and contrary to most I STILL think it's Summoning of Spirits, heh) - what we do is set our goals and allow people to be creative with what we've got.

Brad stated his goals on showing a wide history of OCR in spite of having no nostalgic connection with Link's Awakening, and if that's what he's stepped out to do, then that's his agreement.

At first, I read

Therefore, it's easy to understand why Link's Awakening was chosen as OC Remix's first official Zelda remix album.
as
Therefore, it's easy to understand why Link's Awakening was chosen as OC Remix's first official remix album.
Now that would have been something.

While I agree that this project has spanned over a great deal of OCR's history, I wonder why that has any bearing on whether this should be completed or not. Or do you mean we should make it survive simply because it's been alive for so long (not counting the time it's been dead)? Of course, any reason is good enough - I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this being completed at some point. Oh, and, I don't mean to start an argument here, I'm just curious.

By the way, this is my first project too. And I've yet to be in one that's been completed, so that would be one reason for me to want to see it so.

Hey guys,

I just want to let you know that seeing as this project has been around since dinosaurs walked the earth, I'm definitely considering doing another song on this project. I don't consider myself the best production guy ever, but I've picked up a few things since I finished my first mix for this project. In fact, on the first track I did I got a lot of input from Brad along the way, although the song is still my own. At this point in time, I've started to become a capable composer and producer on my own (Input from others is always helpful though). So, I also see some opportunity here to showcase a period of growth for me as an artist. I've got other stuff I'm working on at the moment, but if this project is still around when I finish my current work, I am coming back on.

• 2 weeks later...
i realize you've not been involved in projects before, but generally speaking the project director is the one who decides what leaks and what doesn't.

Good thing I checked here first then, I'll just keep everything I finish in a folder until further direction.