"Borrow" a guitar from Guitar Center for a mix

Brandon Strader

Does anyone know if this would even work?

Take your laptop and headphones to Guitar Center with a USB recording interface

Ask to test out their $3,000 ridiculously priced PRS guitar

Record all the guitar parts for a remix

Be all like "Ehh I'm not so sure I might come back and test it out again later, plus I need to see how these tracks came out at home"

Get home with your guitar tracks

....I guess that's it...

Has anyone worked there to know if something like this would fly?

edit: I need a usb recording interface immeeeediaatelyyyy!!

Edited by Brandon Strader

Fruity loops isn't geared to recording audio. This is neither a debate nor on topic. It's a DAW made initially for crafting beats and has not yet incorporated any kind of friendly user interface for recording and editing multi-track audio, so leave it at that.

Has anyone worked at guitar center or heard of someone doing what is described in OP

This is a pretty dodgy thing to do and I personally wouldn't recommend it. Most employees would probably raise an eye brow at this sort of thing too. When it comes down to it, I think it's kind of silly to ponder things like this. A $3000 guitar isn't going to make or break a remix.

This. Its basically the same as reading a book at a shop, then putting it back on the shelf. To put it bluntly Its deceitful and could get you into more trouble than its worth, considering you've got perfectly good guitars to record your music with already.

Also late commentary pointing out the obvious for lulz! ! !

! ! !

! ! ! ! !

You just got Bleckserved.

Seriously though, I would think most Guitar Center employees should be on the up about this now. Unless you have a store that deals in computers, people who walk in with a laptop would probably arouse suspicion.

Then again, last time I went to Guitar Center I was playing a Roland Juno something, the guy behind the counter showed me a VST of a Juno knockoff that was free... and thought I was going to buy him lunch or something as a result. So who knows.

This. Its basically the same as reading a book at a shop, then putting it back on the shelf.

Ever heard of Barnes and Noble or Borders? No? Oh... that's right... they went out of business because people just sat in there reading the books. :tomatoface:

We've heard a lot of opinions, none yet from an employee or active user of Guitar Center

I've worked in a music store for two years and the instruments are poorly adjusted with stained strings because everybody is the next best thing and think they can afford a 4k$ guitar and so want to try it. And you just don't have time to keep up with all the adjustments on all the guitars + a lot of clueless clumsy employes who look at you with round eyes when you get a little technical. Anyway, the gears are there to sell the dream more than anything else, they'll just tell you that everything is set up and you'll have to eat it like that and show your wallet. Ok, next client.. etc etc

I'd borrow from a friend if I were you

Edited by Metal Man

I've worked in a music store for two years and the instruments are poorly adjusted with stained strings because everybody is the next best thing and think they can afford a 4k$ guitar and so want to try it. And you just don't have time to keep up with all the adjustments on all the guitars + a lot of clueless clumsy employes who look at you with round eyes when you get a little technical. Anyway, the gears are there to sell the dream more than anything else, they'll just tell you that everything is set up and you'll have to eat it like that and show your wallet. Ok, next client.. etc etc

I'd borrow from a friend if I were you

This, honestly.

The guitars in music stores are almost always setup like shit.

Not only that, but once you get into the "high end" gear it all starts to sound the same anyway. I know all these people that have such a boner for tube amplifiers and just about all of those amps have the exact same parts under the hood. I've gone into music stores, found the most expensive guitar they have and play through their most pricey "high end" amps and 9/10 products I'll try all sound just as good to me.

I've heard insane tones come out of lower end guitars run through Guitar Rig because the guitarist is good, the composition rocks and the mixing and mastering is top notch.

I am now among the (few) guitar players to hold the belief that all you really need in the 21st century is a decent guitar and a Line 6 POD. It's up to the musicians to make the most of it from there. Until quite recently I was an elitist asshole about it.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

For the record I'm really happy with the sound I am capable of right now, though using the half-stack in a residential area isn't particularly convenient (for the neighbors, not for me)

A friend on facebook mentioned not having a decent guitar. We thought up this Guitar Center plot thinking it would be an ingenius plan, but then he said he also doesn't have a laptop, so the idea fell flat. I was just so interested in whether this is possible that I had to ask if anyone who worked there knew if this would fly.

I suppose if you went in, not knowing any of the people, it would be a dick move. But if you knew the supervisor or whoever, and they gave you clearance to go do it, that might be another story.

Not everyone can afford the kind of cash I've plunked into my setup, which is in the thousands of dollars (maybe near 5k) /shrug

ive thought about using the mixing room in pro audio section before. they have lots of toys set up in there to play with on a remix. I also brought my laptop in once when i was shopping for a midi controller. so i dont see why they wouldnt let you. you just have to sign in your gear when you go in so they know its not stolen from them.