Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I wish I had some better people in the area. Really it's just me against my little brother, and although he occasionally beats me, I only have one playing style to fight against... That, and the only other person I can fight against won't because apparently my controller is better than his somehow. Yeah. Ouch.

trade him controllers

I wish I had some better people in the area. Really it's just me against my little brother, and although he occasionally beats me, I only have one playing style to fight against... That, and the only other person I can fight against won't because apparently my controller is better than his somehow. Yeah. Ouch.

trade him controllers

I tried, but he won't use mine because the deadzone is huge. From waay too much smash.

trade him controllers

I tried, but he won't use mine because the deadzone is huge. From waay too much smash.

Make him go buy a new one if he's gonna be a whiny bitch.

I just spent an hour messing about just to see if I could do it, and discovered that I am too fast for wavedashing.

Explanation: I hit X and before my character even starts to jump I've already hit L. I am having difficulty slowing my reaction time down by just a fraction. :[

I just spent an hour messing about just to see if I could do it, and discovered that I am too fast for wavedashing.

Explanation: I hit X and before my character even starts to jump I've already hit L. I am having difficulty slowing my reaction time down by just a fraction. :[

I thought you didn't even want to bother with that sort of play.

Edit: Try using R.

I me and another guy went to a friend's house today. He doesn't have a gamecube, but melee is his favorite game for it. When he gets his hand on a gamecube, he always plays SSBM. Well, my other friend was in charge of bringing the GC and he did along with 2 controllers, a memory card and Melee. Well, he left early and forgot the gamecube there. So my friend now gets to have a GC with melee and MP2 for a while :)

Hey, I said I was messing around just to see if I could.

And I did try R. Doesn't help. I've gotten to about a 33% efficiency rate with the L button though.

There's no way I'd ever try playing someone with this technique.

And I did try R. Doesn't help. I've gotten to about a 33% efficiency rate with the L button though.

Its all about timing and practice. After a while you will learn how long the delay should be between the X button and the L button (Its different for each character). It won't come to you suddenly, its like anything, it must be done over and over again until the correct way to do it becomes natural.

L-cancelling took me a long time to get down. Now its just a reflex. I don't even know I do it.

I'm working on shinedashing. I can occasionally pull off an effective two- or three-hit shinedash, but I'm not consistent enough to chase somebody all the way accross the screen with it a la zelgadis.

I'm working on it, though.

What's L-cancelling?

EDIT:

I find it much easier with R. I normally shield and dodge with L, but I wavedash with R.

I'm working on shinedashing. I can occasionally pull off an effective two- or three-hit shinedash, but I'm not consistent enough to chase somebody all the way accross the screen with it a la zelgadis.

I'm working on it, though.

What's L-cancelling?

EDIT:

I find it much easier with R. I normally shield and dodge with L, but I wavedash with R.

L Cancelling is Lag Cancelling.

That is, Lag Cancelling aerial A moves. After an aerial A move, press block right before landing (timing is slightly different among all the characters). If you do it right, you cut down the lag in recovery time by about 50%. The best example of L Cancelling is with Link's downthrust move. Downthrust and land without trying to L Cancel. Lots of lag, right? Now try to L Cancel it. If you do it right, you should be able to move a lot sooner after you land. If you think you are capable of it, you can spot lots of L Cancelling in my recorded practice videos on the page before this.

Edit: Peach players don't need to L Cancel. Her aerial A moves done while floating self cancel the lag. Ness's aerial up A and down A also self cancel the lag but only on short hops. I might be missing some other character quirks, but those are the only things that come to mind at the moment.

Wow, I learned to L-cancel from the n64 ssb.

I thought it was pretty commonplace.

It seems like it's commonplace, but it really isn't that common. It's not mentioned in the in-game tutorial or the manual. It was just... in there. There are plenty of Melee players that don't even know what L-Cancelling is still... well... at least the casual ones.

Yeah, I can still remember one of my friends being surprised as hell way back in the day when he rolled out of the way of a downward thrust, me playing link, and instead of getting a free hit on me he got smashed off of the side of the stage.

If I remember right I figured it out because the manual mentioned that if you were quick enough you could spring back into action by hitting the shield button instead of falling on your back after being hit hard, and I had gotten so used to this that I tried it just out of habit right before i got link's sword stuck in the ground.

Why the hell am I writing such longwinded sentences.

The timing between jumping and airdodging has absolutely nothing to do with reaction time. Anyone can press X and L at the same time. If the timing between press X and L was determined by how fast your reflexes are, then pressing L before X would be going back in time, heh. So no, you are not "too fast for wavedashing."

The trick to wavedashing is to find out how long you need to wait before you press L. But some characters take longer to jump then others, so you have to experiment and practice wavedashing for each character you want to use. Except some character's jumps are the same speed as others, but you know what I mean. If you want to compare the quickest and slowest jumps in the game to see how different the timing for wavedashing can be, compare Fox or Sheik to Bowser.

Ok, can someone please be kind enough to explain what these advanced moves actually are? What does a "wavedash" do???

Iv'e been a huge fun of SSB since it came out, and was always good enough to beat anyone I know, but I never played in tournaments or became fanatical about it. Im just really curious about all these moves I did not know about...

Ok, can someone please be kind enough to explain what these advanced moves actually are? What does a "wavedash" do???

Iv'e been a huge fun of SSB since it came out, and was always good enough to beat anyone I know, but I never played in tournaments or became fanatical about it. Im just really curious about all these moves I did not know about...

There are a lot of advanced moves in Smash Melee.

Wavedashing and L-Cancelling are the most common advanced techniques (which were explained in previous pages).

The other advanced techniques that I can think of are mostly character specific.

i.e. Falco's pillaring combo, Falco's dashing/travelling short-hop laser, Fox and Falco's shine-wavedash for attacking AND retreating purposes, Samus' bomb recovery to air-dodge to grappling hook, Jigglypuff's wall-of-pain, Marth/Sheik's chain throwing, Ice Climbers' desynching, Ness' yo-yo glitch, Ness/Yoshi/Mewtwo's double jump cancel, Dr. Mario's up+B cancel, etc.

I don't think it's necessary to explain any of these mainly because I don't really feel like it. Though you can see some of the Falco and Jigglypuff in my vids on the previous page.