OCR03001 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 'Lost in a Nightmare'

djpretzel

Yaaaaay! Really happy to see this here. I think this is absolutely Vinnie's best work to date, and I am so so happy he is finally singing main vocals on a remix. I have been trying to get him to do that for a long time ;)

Now I feel like I am just repeating myself, because I just said this about your previous remix, but I really like the build-ups and transitions; you have such a mastery over control of energy flow. Example: how the first chorus comes in sparse, but then builds up to the full version. These changes of energy, never staying in one groove for too long before evolving, give a feeling of forward momentum that keeps attention and interest throughout the piece.

Overall I'd say this is a technically well-done piece, not unlike artists BT and Deadmau5, it conveys plenty of emotion, and it's catchy as hell. In fact, listening to it, I feel compelled to do an acoustic cover of it, if only because it's so catchy and sing-along-able. :smile: Great job once again.

Nice, man. This is some strong stuff, and the vocals go well with the music and the beat. A great job on those vocals for sure. The Deadmou5 flair is in there and makes things all the better. Agreed that it does sound like it's ready to go to radio with the vibe it gives off. Cool ReMix.

great original take on a favorite of mine. noticed the deadmau5 prog-house influence before being confirmed in the description lol. I'm also thinking of trying to incorporate songwriting and lyrics into some remixes coming up. good to see someone pull it off with this level of quality :mrgreen:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice choice of source, and neat concept of remix -- keeping the vocals is great here. Plus the lyrics are very interesting and well-written. Later on, the track really shines with great arrangement ideas. I swear I can hear few quotes from other tracks from SotN. Production is excellent, everything sounds very-well mixed. Not my usual cup of tea but...More please! :D

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a real mellow synthelectric song. I like the bells. Nice timesignature trickery in the intro. I like the room given to the vocals in the first verse.

This could’ve been a legitimate song arrangement/structure by the three minute mark already. The extended middle section is nice to have though, with some smart arranging, a good wind-down and build-up that feels unobvious as well. Love the little pauses in the bit with just one synth. Very powerful. The prog nerd in me wished that the time signature thing was repeated in the middle section, but that pausing thing is much more appropriate and quite engaging emotionally actually.

The processing of the vocals sits a bit in the uncanny valley for me: the autotuning is very apparent, while the voice itself is very organic for the most part. I feel like going to a more processed OR a less apparent pitch correction might have felt more engaging.

The vocals feel mixed a little low and especially the verses feel a little timid. Choruses on the other hand are pretty good on all these accounts, rising the energy like a good chorus should. The organic/processed ratio also feels good.

All in all, these are clearly amateur vocals, but pulled off certainly well enough to be enjoyable, I would say they are quite palpable. Lyrics are all right too, they flow well and are easy to follow. Bits feel stretched (“cru-el”, “chi-ild”) and one part feels a little crammed in (“lost hope”) but most bits with lots of words in small space sound good rhythmically.

Gets stuck in the head like a stake in the heart too.

• 6 years later...

Wow! This is a fantastic song. Beautiful vocals, resonant lyrics. Nice instrumentation, with a richness of layers to rival the best kind of chill pop electronica. And it's just gorgeously put together, all the elements complimenting each other, such as the transition from vocal to layered chimes around 2m50s. When I glanced at the length a third of the way through on first listen, I worried that it might stretch on and become repetitive. It never did, but shifted away from verses into more of a dance track with repeated refrain, and very organically so.

I was also wondering whether we were going to get some unambiguous reference to vampires or Castlevania at some point which might lend this song that awkwardness that some video game mixes have of only being good in a context where you're thinking about the game. But it doesn't do that, either! I can dig the hell out of this track without feeling it has to be tied to anything outside of itself. It plays with some really resonant themes to living with depression and isolation in a way that I can really appreciate!

I suppose for someone who had actually played Symphony of the Night (I haven't; Travesty! I know...) there are probably some references that make it even better to appreciate from the perspective of a fan. "Outside the frame" hints at the interesting image of someone trapped in a portrait or something and I suspect that makes more sense to those in-the-know, but is still very poignant without context.