Heart of a Gamer: A Tribute to Satoru Iwata - History

The Damned

November 13th, 2015 Update:

THE WAVS ARE IN!! All six tracks have been mastered by timaeus and they've been given to Liontamer.

Thank to all the remixers and their pals that worked on the remixes with them. And thanks again to Odai for his work on the cover art.

The only thing we need now is the website. I was thinking we don't really need a video, as that's really more for building up hype. We don't have that much time for that, so forget it. Besides, OCR itself is all the advertising we need for this album.

The release date is still aimed for December 5th, so on Dec 6th, it is out for Iwata's birthday. Celebrate his life, not his death.

October 11th Update:

Thanks to Odai for the awesome title, which is now "Heart of A Gamer: A Tribute to Satoru Iwata" and for the album cover.

ANYWAY! As you can see below, we have four remixes complete and submitted in WAV Format. Yay us!

September 8th update:

Talking it over with Liontamer, I have decided to push the album to mid October. Why? Because I like the idea of releasing for early December. That gives us over a month to get everything together, which means more time for you remixers to polish your remixes, and time for us to kidnap an artist or two.

More time means more effort and that gets us better music.

Take your time, make those remixes awesome, and don't worry. We got more time now, and we can easily meet this.

Also, I'm adding Dragon Warrior 1 to the list. If anyone wants it, feel free to claim it. As usual, posted remixers can be accepted without any try-outs, non-posted remixers will have to submit some samples to prove themselves.

Project:

Saturo Iwata from NIntendo has passed away, and because of his involvment with NIntendo and a multitude of games and series over the years, we're going to do a tribute album.

This album has to be out somewhat quickly, though. If it's released too soon, the overall quality will suffer. Too long, and the tribute will lose some of its emotional punch. To that end, we're looking at a smaller album of about ten remixes or less. As much as I'd like to do a four-disc compliation album, we don't have the time or resources to pull that off.

As he was listed in hundreds of games (http://nintendo.wiki...ki/Satoru_Iwata  and http://www.mobygames...eloperId,52462/), there is a lot to choose from. However, I think we should look at the games he was directly involved with. As some of you may know, he started out as a programmer, not management. He didn't just make games, he made games.

To show that, we should remix from games that he himself worked on. He has dozens upon dozens of credits as a producer, but there are some games that he had more involvement in. He was in the trenches, sitting with the staff and designing or consulting. Fixing this, solving that. That's the guy that we should be remembering.

What We Need:

A website. Right now, we could use the expertise of someone that can get a website together before December 1st. I know it's a tight deadline, but we don't need anything super fancy or complex.

Staff:

Director:
Me, of course

Assisstant Director:
Themysteriousassassin

Artist: Odai. And apparently, Title Creator Extraordinaire.

Tracklist:

1. The Fading Children (Earthbound) by Kwix

2. Cuban Vacation (Kirby's Adventure) by Chernabogue, featuring Tuberz McGee and kroasta

3. Menu Theme (Super Smash Bros Melee) by Sbeast

4. Sky-High Rollers (Rollerball) by timaeus222

5. On The Wind (Balloon Fight) by Brandon Strader

6. New Horizons (Pokémon Gold and Silver) by PokerusVGM

This list covers his earlier years, from pre-Nintendo to HAL Labs to just as he was becoming a big name at Nintendo.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Satoru_Iwata  and http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,52462/

Scroll down for a list of games he's been credited in. Now, the vast majority is as Executive Producer, which could be anything from "he signed some paperwork" to "he did everything that his staff did, or maore, to make the game happen", but without a detailed knowledge of each game's developement history, there's no way to be sure just how much he was involved in each case.

If we're doing an album, I got some ideas for songs from certain games that need to be part of it. Some of them, I'm not familiar with, so go easy on those choices.

Balloon Fight. This one is a no-brainer. The main theme is catchy and fun. Like the game he made.

Pokémon Gold and Silver, Route 27 Theme. This is the song that plays as you cross over Route 27, the last steps from Johto to Kanto. Pretty damn significant, considering that without Iwata's help, Kanto would never have been included in the first place. He bridged the two lands, and thus the two games, and this song reflects that. Also, a personal favorite.

Kirby's Adventure. There are lots of songs here to choose from, this game is on the list because it was not only one of the first games he was involved in after joining HAL Labs, but also really helped cement Kirby as a character with his abililty tosuck up enemies and take heir powers.

NES Open Tourament Golf. His first game at Nintendo, and he was the programmer. Playlist here.

Earthbound. No explaination needed. OK, maybe a little bit. He saved the game from possible doom when he fixed up the text system, saving it from developement limbo, and possibly worse. I'm not an Earthbound expert, so I'm going to have to defer the choice of song to someone that knows the game better.

An obscure game called Rollerball. His first game as producer. I love obscure remixes!

Smash Bros. I'm not sure what song would be best, as he was invovled in different ways with the series over the years. I will defer to the expertise of Smash experts on this one. Maybe that cool opening opera-ish one?

Wario Ware series. Seems to have appeared in the games as an NPC from what I've read.

This list covers his eariler years, from pre-Nintendo to HAL Labs to just as he was becoming a big name at Nintendo.

I might also suggest the SS Aqua theme for Pokemon GSC, since that's the transition to the Kanto part of the game (and also a personal favorite :tomatoface: ). I threw together a really really bare bones concept WIP of a style I think could work with it too, if someone (*cough*OverClockedPlaidMuffins*cough*) wants to take a crack at it. Might take too long to organize though. 

For smash, I might recommend something from melee, since iirc he did a lot of heavy lifting to get that game out without delays. Either of the menu themes are good, and the target test theme is favorite of mine (and also groovy as hell). Full Melee OST Link for those who want to skim.

I think the album is a totally rad idea and a great way to honor a man who gave us so many good memories. I'd join myself, but I don't think I have the skill it'd take to pump out a track in a timely manner.  Though, if anyone is interested, I can try to write out the rest of the arrangement on that SS Aqua track.

This is a very cool idea, and I think its fitting as well. While I'd like to join on, I don't know if I can get a mix out in time and with a high enough caliber of quality. I'll certainly keep an eye on this, though!

I might also suggest the SS Aqua theme for Pokemon GSC, since that's the transition to the Kanto part of the game (and also a personal favorite  :tomatoface: ). I threw together a really really bare bones concept WIP of a style I think could work with it too, if someone (*cough*OverClockedPlaidMuffins*cough*) wants to take a crack at it. Might take too long to organize though. 

For smash, I might recommend something from melee, since iirc he did a lot of heavy lifting to get that game out without delays. Either of the menu themes are good, and the target test theme is favorite of mine (and also groovy as hell). Full Melee OST Link for those who want to skim.

I think the album is a totally rad idea and a great way to honor a man who gave us so many good memories. I'd join myself, but I don't think I have the skill it'd take to pump out a track in a timely manner.  Though, if anyone is interested, I can try to write out the rest of the arrangement on that SS Aqua track.

Just wanted to throw my quote from the other thread in here.  I'm still up to finish the arrangement for SS Aqua if players are interested.  Alternatively, I could be down for a collab as long as we're done before the Sigma Fortress compo gets in full gear. I think I have an old WIP of a Melee Menu 1/Target Test remix laying around somewhere...

I like the idea (heh, I debuted my first OCR track in the Iwata's passing post which is kinda weird but also kinda cool) but I'm pretty sure the timeline is gonna be a problem for me.

Don't count on anything, but I'm keeping an eye out on the Rollerball soundtrack and a potential remix of it. If I manage to find time it might be a nice bonus :)

Got seriously fond memories of Rollerball, even though I played it on the MSX computer (which had no soundtrack) and not on the NES (which obviously does).

Those suggestions sounds like a solid, informed base for an album. IMO, if you want to turn something out faster but still get a good focus of titles important to Iwata's career, leave it at those 7 or 8, don't go for more than that, and focus on matching artists to games.

EDIT: This has my OK to be in Community.

Edited by Liontamer
Community!

I'd love to get in on this - I've already got some nice ideas for Route 27. Wouldn't mind doing that one. That being said, I'm not an established/known mixer at all(nor particularly good at anything outside of semi-conservative mixes).

Gimme a few days(got the next 3 days off) to see if I can throw a sort of proof-of-concept WIP together? Of course, if a more qualified and known remixer wants it than I won't impede that. Or if said concept doesn't work out or you don't think it'll work.

It's very different from the Balloon Fight main theme, just bases the melody off the very short motif near the beginning kinda like a remix. That's why I said alongside, dunno if it should replace Balloon Fight, the original. But I couldn't remix the original's main theme for sure, it's not as melodic.

And I honestly don't know how OCR would label the game, either as Nintendo Land, or as Balloon Trip Breeze

Hey I would like to claim the Menu theme from Super Smash Bros. Melee. I'm not a published remixer as of right now, but I'm involved with several album projects already which are near completion including:

- Vampire Variations III

- BadAss: Volume 3

- PS1 20th Anniversary album

I've also got some of my video game arrangements up on soundcloud, but they are a few years old.