Final Fantasy XII

Dyne

Ashe and Penelo, despite being 2 levels behind everyone else, still have more HP than everyone else. I keep neglecting Balthier, he's level 14 when everyone else is in the 20s.

I'm just after getting the Dawn Shard now, heading south, and getting owned by those elemental things. (Owned as in "hey what's that oh I'm dead".)

Basically I'm using Vaan, Bacsh, and Ashe for most of my story fighting, subbing in Fran and Balthier when I need to do some ranged attacks (damn flying creatures) and Penelo whenever someone dies. It's working out pretty well.

When do you start to get more useful Gambits? Also, is there a complete list somewhere? GameFAQs doesn't have ANYTHING useful.

When do you start to get more useful Gambits?

Probably you knew this but Ally: Any -> Status Cure Item gambits will only be used when the status to be cured is on an ally. As for the other stuff I'm just controlling Penelo as a Mage (even though, I'd love some Enemy Weak: X gambits) and I still need a Self: MP <20% so I can write a Charge gambit that doesn't blow, but other than that...

slight spoilers maybe, not plot specific just about leveling characters and stuffs. so...

SPOILERS

im like 40 something hours in, right after the draklor laboratory. All my characters use sword+shield except for fran who is stuck on bows. They all use swords because i have like 6 Deathbringers, which is a pretty awesome sword you can get kinda early on, so it kind of ruined my class specific characters. I mainly use Ashe, Vaan and penelo, Ashe and penelo are my support characters and vaan is mostly into technics. Also i wouldn't worry about some of your characters being lower leveled early on, when you get to that first town in the empire you can get that item that gives you 2x exp. The embroidered pin.. or something. Vaan was level 45 and basch was 28.. and i leveled him up to 48 in like 4 hours or something like that.

Quick question, where do you guys go to get loot to sell? I'm still fairly early in the game, I just finished getting the Dawn Shard and I've spent a couple hours cleaning out the Lhusu Mines of skeletons. The bone fragments sell for 193 a pop (99 x 193 = 19,107) plus if you get a good chain going on the skeletons they drop Iron helmets too which go for 700 I think. Plus you get over a hundred license points in about 15-20 minutes. Plus it let me lever up my characters a bunch. My main party of Vaan, Basch and Fran were all above level 20 and the other three were around level 12. This let them catch up very fast, and now they're all around level 25 and I've made Penelo into a pretty decent mage and worked out a pretty decent set of gambits. I think I've spent too much time playing this game in the last few days...

Quick question, where do you guys go to get loot to sell? I'm still fairly early in the game, I just finished getting the Dawn Shard and I've spent a couple hours cleaning out the Lhusu Mines of skeletons. The bone fragments sell for 193 a pop (99 x 193 = 19,107) plus if you get a good chain going on the skeletons they drop Iron helmets too which go for 700 I think. Plus you get over a hundred license points in about 15-20 minutes. Plus it let me lever up my characters a bunch. My main party of Vaan, Basch and Fran were all above level 20 and the other three were around level 12. This let them catch up very fast, and now they're all around level 25 and I've made Penelo into a pretty decent mage and worked out a pretty decent set of gambits. I think I've spent too much time playing this game in the last few days...
Selling bone fragments from the lhusu mines is what i did early on, you can also try doing some of the bounty hunting clan stuff, it's not much money, but i think you get better rewards later on. I had alot of trouble with Gil early on. I started to realize you really only need 3 sets of armor, since you can only use 3 characters in battle , but if all your characters are different clases then that may not work.

-The only problem though is some of the sound quality of the voices sounds a bit muffled in parts.

Well if they'd take off those goddamn iron helmets...

lol. I mean sometimes any of the character voices sound a little faded. Its not anything to do with the VAing, its just the audio. Its very apparent if you play another game with a lot of voice acting before, then play this game. It sounds fine for the most part, its a very minor detail but my friend and I noticed it happens to Penelo a bit more than the others. But other than that weird little fluke the voice acting is really great.

I think a couple of players didn't like the story because its focus and atmosphere is just so different than recent previous FF's have been. The focus of FFXII is so much broader and larger, its like a big grand adventure you get swept away in to find out what happens where as games like VII, VIII, and IV were epic but they were more personal stories centered around the main character, while IX and V were these big adventures but there was still a bit more of focused on some endeavor of some party member or the main character in your party. X was a very personal, more focused story. XII is this big event that you just happen to have some part in. The closest FF I can think of to comparing XII's story to is VI.

Even Ashe, arguably the games' true main character is herself kind of swept up in the whole thing. Vaan's kind of our eyes and ears into that whole world, like the fly on the wall character. He has some story to him as well of course but generally he's just a star-eyed kid who got wrapped up in something a lot bigger than him. I thought that fit XII's feel pretty nicely. You don't have to have the main lead be the center of all the attention or have enormous amounts of baggage in his head all the time after all. Well, I thought it was a nice breath of fresh air.

Gameplay wise, does anyone else' Vaan have an ungodly amount of evasion? Mine blocked and dodged like crazy so I basically modeled him after an FFXI Ninja and made him kind of a spam hitting evasion tank with some enfeebles. It worked really, really well.

Like UE said, best FF since Final Fantasy Tactics.

Also, I think Vagrant Story and FFXII might be closest as far as the loose chronology goes (Vagrant Story takes place in the Kingdom of Valencia which is present in FFXII's Ivalice).

So I got this game yesterday and I've been in eternal FFOrgasm since. But something ruined my sexual euphoria, something so sinister not even the powers of Nobuo Uematsu could defeat this. I went into the sand desert right outside the city you start in. You know, the one where you fight the Rogue Tomato? I'm loving the game and what not. I'm listening to the music and all of the sudden there is a loud quarter note on the trumpet. It sounds totally off beat and horrible. Did anyone else notice this, and can someone please justify this to me?

I hear often that people say or think that FFXII takes place far before FFT and FFTA.

Where's that theory coming from? I'm just curious.

In FFT there is a healthy amount of discussion about the ancient times when airships ruled the sky, and technology was prevalent before some cataclysm.

Interesting. Its been a while since I last played FFT but I vaguely remember that now. It could still go either way though, or be treated as maybe not the same universe and make perfect sense no matter how you look at it. Thats pretty neat.

I mentioned this to my best friend before though the other day and something we threw out there...is that if this was hypothetically the way it went, what if the "modern world" seen in FFTA was actually Ivalice in the future? Like..the days of FFXII were a way far back and forgotten time, while the FFT Ivalice was the equivalent of our medieval period? What if the book Mache and co get was some kind of funky magic time travelling book that brought back a lot of the people in that period to the ancient times?

I hear often that people say or think that FFXII takes place far before FFT and FFTA.

Please, for the sake of mankind, no inter-game time line threads.

If anyone is to blame, it's Matsuno himself, who included all of the similar names of places, characters, and coincidences of the story events when he wrote the script.

If anyone is to blame, it's Matsuno himself, who included all of the similar names of places, characters, and coincidences of the story events when he wrote the script.

Heh, you mean like the Zelda timeline nonesense? I didn't intend to...because its all hypothetical. I like to talk about that sort of thing just for fun. But don't worry, I understand, apparently for some people that simple fact is extremely hard to understand, turning simple speculative talk into serious business. I was just curious though where that whole idea came from in the first place...like what in game brought it out.

Heh, you mean like the Zelda timeline nonesense? I didn't intend to...because its all hypothetical. I like to talk about that sort of thing just for fun. But don't worry, I understand, apparently for some people that simple fact is extremely hard to understand, turning simple speculative talk into serious business. I was just curious though where that whole idea came from in the first place...like what in game brought it out.

Actually, I'm interested in this particular conversation here. That is, on the simple basis that names of places, espers/summons, names of certain characters (i.e.: Cid), and a few other odds and ends. Honestly, I don't think you could classify any of these in any sort of time line, or continuum thereof. And if you think about it that way, that would mean that each game is part of the same world. However, if you were to skew from that, and look at each game as a different plane of existence, then you could explain in theory a reason behind certain elements being symbolically, or at the very least coincidentally, linked to each plane.

For example, take Magic the Gathering. Each new expansion, each new set, has a new part of the universe to explore. The perfect example being the current set, Time Spiral, which revisits previous ages. You see certain characters, creatures, places, things, and whatnot, and you can explain this through a theory of relative time, possibly even some type of quantum theory could be used here.

Anyway, long story short, my theory is that there are one of two explanations for the Final Fantasy games.

Theory one: these are seperate, non-linear universes, and they have never, and never will co-exist, or flow from one into another.

Theory two: each game is a new alternate plane/universe, and with each new plane, you continue to see recurring symbolism and coincidence.

So yeah...that's my two cents.

I thought this was supposed to be the same Ivalice as in FFT, and was supposed to "pre-tie" some of the loose ends in FFT before they happened (the storyline of FFXII taking place a thousand years or so before). This is what was floating around soon after the game was announced, but I don't know how much of that was retained in the final product.

Does it even matter if the worlds are connected in any superficial way though? I'm nearly through with the story and the entire backstory is just yawn-inducing. Does RPG backgrounds have to read like a boring textbook in order for it to be "mature"?

So you'd prefer to see romance in each and every game? Wow, sign up Tidus and Yuna, they're ready to love!

Does it even matter if the worlds are connected in any superficial way though? I'm nearly through with the story and the entire backstory is just yawn-inducing. Does RPG backgrounds have to read like a boring textbook in order for it to be "mature"?

They can't all be super-kawaii anime shit stories. Go play Tales of whatever if you want that crap.

Goddammit. I spent like two hours killing ridiculous monsters in the super-hard area that I'm not supposed to be in yet, and then this weaksauce horse with 99,999 HP that can teleport and won't stop following you even if you zone comes and kills EVERYONE. Basch lost four levels and I lost a crapton of really rare-sounding lewtz :/