Sony is Determined to Screw Themselves Over

Shadow Wolf

I thought it was going to be funnier if they did the actual butchering then and there. Then they go ahead with the 'eat off of the goat!' thing. Sorta like "TAKE A CHUNK OFF CHOCOLATE JESUS" stuff. Are people against eating things? "Take a bite out of the slaughtered pig on a dish!". OFFENSIVE.

Sony explains the reasonings, taken from http://www.joystiq.com

"The media event for the PS2 title God of War ll took place in Athens, Greece on 1st March. Approximately 20 journalists from European countries attended the event from a variety of gaming and lifestyle media - although none were from the UK.

The event was a theatrical dramatisation with a Greek mythological theme and, as part of the set dressing, a dead goat was provided by the production company from a qualified local butcher. Following the mainstream popularity of shows such as 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here' a series of challenges were set for the journalists. The 'warm entrails' referred to in the invitation and in the Mail on Sunday article was actually a meat soup, made to a traditional Greek recipe and served to attendees in china bowls direct from the caterers. There was never any question of journalists being able to touch the goat, or indeed eat the soup direct from the body of the goat, as one report has alleged. The goat was returned to the butcher at the end of the event.

The article in UK Official PlayStation Magazine (OPSM), from which the Mail on Sunday article was sourced, was written by a journalist who did not attend and done on the basis of the invitation for the event, which employed a degree of hyperbole in order to encourage attendance - the journalist chose to take it as fact!

The photograph was one of many supplied to the magazine to provide a balanced view of the event. Unfortunately, the article was sensationalised and focused on a picture that was unrepresentative of the wider event. When we saw the article for the first time on Thursday of last week we contacted the Publisher of OPSM who accepted that the article was not appropriate for their broad audience. On Friday, before we had received any contact from the media, they agreed to remove the centre page article before the magazine goes on general sale.

We recognise that the use of a dead goat was in poor taste and fell below the high standards of conduct we set ourselves. We are conducting an enquiry to establish the circumstances behind the event in order to ensure this does not happen again. We also apologise to anyone offended by the article in the OPSM (subscription copies were sent out ahead of street date)."

Dave Karraker

Sr. Director, Corporate Communications

Sony Computer Entertainment America

Wow, to those that think it is "ok", are you stupid?

This isn't a greek festival, this is a promotion for a game. A GAME

Oh wait, I forgot that to a lot of people, games = life

mai bad

It was a goat, man. We aren't talking about a person, or even a higher end mammal. It was a goat, that was killed by a butcher, used for a display for a while, and then returned to the butcher and presumably made into some sort of stew. The goat was going to die one way or the other, might as well get some use out of it. It's no different than the cuts of meat a butcher displays in the store.

Yeah, I live 40 miles from PETA HQ. One of the local radio stations has a fishing tournament on the pier in front of the building every year. It's quite fun. But I'm sure they'll be getting a piece as well.

i didnt know you were a Virginia folk.

and yes, while the FM99 PETA bass fishing tournament is all in fun sacrificing a goat to a videogame is crazy.

maybe sony secretly sac'd it to satan for better ps3 games/sales.

and yes, while the FM99 PETA bass fishing tournament is all in fun sacrificing a goat to a videogame is crazy.

maybe sony secretly sac'd it to satan for better ps3 games/sales.

Usually goat sacrifices were made to Baal, but I guess nowadays it's all the same to most people.

Tsk, companies and their lack of pagan traditions nowadays...

It was a goat, man. We aren't talking about a person, or even a higher end mammal. It was a goat, that was killed by a butcher, used for a display for a while, and then returned to the butcher and presumably made into some sort of stew. The goat was going to die one way or the other, might as well get some use out of it. It's no different than the cuts of meat a butcher displays in the store.

So in other words you're implying that it was nothing out of the ordinary?

Because, I mean, come on...

So in other words you're implying that it was nothing out of the ordinary?

Because, I mean, come on...

Different from what you're used to from a Sony press conference, but think about it, were any social taboos really smashed here? There have been thematic press releases before, this was just the next logical step.

757 Representin' my brutha. I'm from Suffolk.

It's no different than the cuts of meat a butcher displays in the store.

Yes, it is. Cuts of meat have a place in a butcher's store. The point here is that using a dead goat at a press conference is a lot like putting a pig on a spit at a black tie office party. It's inappropriate for that kind of gathering. I would say that having a decapitated goat on display is inappropriate in almost any setting. I don't give a shit who decapitated it. It's a goat, and his head is hanging by some tissues. That kind of thing is not appropriate for a media gathering.

I guess my main issue is this: Gamers and game developers the world over want gaming to be recognized as a mainstream form of entertainment that has something to offer everyone. So why does one of those companies insist on keeping us in the stone age? This kind of one step forward, two steps back mentality is one of the biggest reasons people still treat gaming as a niche industry. Because niche industries often rely on shock tactics to get noticed, rather than the quality of their products. If gaming is ever going to get past the stereotype of horny, sweaty, deviant guys bathed in blood and screaming for another serving of flesh... We might wanna nix the topless women and dead goats at our press conferences guys. That reasoning is precisely why E3 put a chokehold on the booth babes a few years back. THAT, ladies and ladies, is my point.

Don't think this was posted yet - Sony did NOT decapitate a goat:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/meat-soup/goatgate-sonys-side-of-the-story-256325.php

gg

jeez you guys chill, its just good clean fun

i mean you all eat dead animals anyway, most of them even were in much worst conditions prior to cooking then this goat

it's actually pretty funny, it has that excellent WAAAAAAR feeling to it

kudos sony

I like how the article, despite railing against Sony's actions, does a pretty good job of promoting the game itself.

In God Of War II, which is so violent it has been given an 18 certificate, players follow Kratos into battle against a series of fearsome characters from Greek mythology.

Sony describes it as "an adult-rated, fast-paced bloodbath – and enormous fun to boot", adding that it is "bigger, better and as brutal as ever".

One reviewer said the title featured "the most brutal, visceral combat of any action game".

When I read that I thought, "hey, I'll have to check this game out..."

Good job media!

When I read the topic and what little I read into the article, I thought they decapitated said goat's head AT the conference.

Having a dead one there prior to the meeting and it just being there is different.

My opinion after reading the articles that came out portraying sony's side went from WTF to eh.

When I read the topic and what little I read into the article, I thought they decapitated said goat's head AT the conference.

Having a dead one there prior to the meeting and it just being there is different.

My opinion after reading the articles that came out portraying sony's side went from WTF to eh.

Ok, yeah, decapitating a live goat on stage would be pushing it. And very messy. Idea for the GoWIII conference? :)

Wow, a new low for Sony. Who's bright idea in Marketing was this?

I believe they have hired the marketing guy that used to work for Acclaim! After his "Shadowman on your tombstone" and "Name your baby Turok" ideas who wouldnt hire that idiot?

Goatscea.cx?

Absolutely brilliant. Sigged.

Also, as much as I would love to stick it to Sony (and the press seems to be doing some of that for me,) this was a private event in Europe, where the laws are a bit more loose, at least in terms of nudity. They have Naked News, we have the Salem witch trials. Meh.

Good point. I kinda forgot that in the whole furor over the goat.

Um. No. It's not a good point. EUROPE, remember? Nobody gives a crap about topless women in special events. But I'm sure there will be a way for people to find stuff like that to be offensive regardless.