Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

Response to both points:

They could have simply made a way to have to juggle your Hyper mode usage; a way to reduce your corruption level, but it's a pain in the ass to do it. Besides, Silent Hill 4 had a mechanic to where it would eventually become impossible to win the game; I'm not saying that's a good thing, but developers have been that ballsy before.

In Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, if you used your power too much, or wandered too much, you would wind up with too little of your meter left to beat the game and would die during the final battle.

Just beat the game. 100% in 17:36 on Normal.

A few thoughts:

I never really liked how Retro does Metroids. They don't make them aggressive enough in my opinion. When you see a Metroid in Super Metroid, that thing is after you right away. MP Metroids just float around for a bit, dash at you, rinse and repeat. The Metroids in MP3 even stop draining your energy after a short while if you just sit there.

Relating to the 100% ending, I don't think that is Sylux's ship. The ship looks a lot different. I think people are just over speculating, but who knows? Samus' ship looked different in this one, so his could too. Plus, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they weren't going to include those Hunter's in any other games. I could be wrong.

The game pretty easy, but then again I was on Nornal mode. I think someone mentioned it, but they should have renamed Normal mode to Easy.

I had a little trouble finding my last energy cell. For some reason I totally ignored the one at the landing site on Valhalla, haha.

I think the best way would be the Baldur's Gate 2/Bhaal's Throne way: When you use powers too much, you become the demon you were leeching your power off of. You don't get disabled. You don't get weakened. You just turn into the demon. Game Over. Samus turns into Dark Samus. Game Over.

See, I personally don't have a problem with that, but I know lots of other people will be like, "Oh, that's not fair," or "Oh, that's to hard." If they wanted to show that sense of desperation, then there should have been nothing wrong with just killing the player off if he/she is irresponsible.

I've never played Baldur's Gate, but I'm sure the mechanic works well, and I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of people who use their magic with abandon (unless they are trying to turn into the demon). No reason it couldn't have worked here.

And to reply to Bigfoot:

(I agree with the whole Metroid thing. In past Metroid games, you feel a sense of urgency when you see a Metroid; it's like, "Fuck, I gotta kill this thing or get the hell out of here!" But you never feel like that in the Prime games. I can hazard a guess that Retro did it for difficulty reasons, but in three games worth of enemies who aren't really enemies unless the scan says "Space Pirate (Variant)", logic says that one enemy should be a definite threat no matter what, and the title character certainly should take the top spot for that.)

--Jack Kieser

I've had the exact same complaint about Metroids in Metroid. They were reasonably threatening in Corruption, but still nothing compared to the 2-D Metroids. Metroids were little more than an nuisance in the first two Primes. I'd like to see a future 3-D Metroid give us all of the Metroid evolutions and make the series namesake a serious threat.

I've never played Baldur's Gate, but I'm sure the mechanic works well, and I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of people who use their magic with abandon (unless they are trying to turn into the demon). No reason it couldn't have worked here.

Basically, you had an ability called "Avatar" or something, where you would assume the form of your half-god side, The Slayer. Slayer form was ridiculous. Huge stat increases, a ridiculous number of attacks per round, and the ability to rip just about anything to shreds. However, the more you used the ability, the higher your chance to lose control. A few times, I'd pop Slayer form and shred my party's mage in a berserk fury. Eventually, there comes a time when you use the form and permanently lose control, rampage across the screen for about 20 seconds tearing everything apart, and then the game flashes the "Game Over" screen at you.

I'm not entirely sure, but I also believe there might've been a point where you have a hidden chance to spontaneously activate the power. You get into combat and suddenly the ability pops itself. It's been awhile since I played BG2.

Good game, though. Fantastic mechanic, were it not for the fact that you can breeze through the game if you equip your main character right. My level 30ish Elf Ranger actually lost damage potential when he assumed Slayer Form.

As far as the PED Suit being a gimmick, I'd like to point out that it depends entirely on what difficulty level you're playing. It's a gimmick in Normal alright, but it sees necessary regular usage in Veteran, and in Hypermode? Impossible to beat the game without whoring the hell out of it.

And the Metroid convo... I think nostalgia's talking. I don't disagree that Prime Metroids are pretty lame, but as long as you take your time, they're nowhere near as dangerous as people claim in the old games either. About the only game where I honestly got terrified in an incoming Metroid area was the original, mainly due to its limited controls. Taking out Metroids in Super and Zero Mission was a piece of cake.

I think the only time the metroids were dangerous in the Prime series, was in the impact crater. Constantly spawning, extremely aggressive, and they sucked the hell out of your life.. if you didn't smack into one mid-jump.

But, they were also easier, due to super bombs. Something we don't have this time around.

They also looked better when attacking. They surrounded you when they were draining, rather than just sorta sitting on top of you. Made Samus look like a round, chubby mushroom this time.

But, in Super Metroid.. once you know how to beat them, they're not hard at all. In fact, they're far easier and no threat at all, because it's just 1 shot and a couple missiles. This time, missiles don't work so well.

And I think the PED suit itself is a gimmick, in the game. Not the ability, just the suit. You get handed it 15% the way through the game. They could have made it so you had to find it as a normal suit upgrade, with your varia suit just having it strapped to the chest or something. The other hunters certainly didn't look like they were anything special, with them attached, so why would Samus get a whole new armor for it?

For that matter.. what armor are the soldiers using near the end of the game? They're completely immune to EVERYTHING you can throw at them!

I think the only time the metroids were dangerous in the Prime series, was in the impact crater. Constantly spawning, extremely aggressive, and they sucked the hell out of your life.. if you didn't smack into one mid-jump.

But, they were also easier, due to super bombs. Something we don't have this time around.

That is so true. I hated fighting the Metroids in the impact crater. In fact the first time I played the game, I started fighting those metroids thinking they were going to be easy like the Talon Metroids. Long story short, they kicked my ass and I was pretty much dead by the time I reached Metroid Prime.

Also I wonder why they chose to remove the power bombs in Corruption. I thought for sure they would be a part of the game but I reach the end and they are no where in sight. Maybe hyper ball was ment to replace it.

Well, I would have either wanted deeper commitment to the PED suit or no PED suit at all. Like I said, the puzzles seemed too tacked on and simplistic. You figured out which Hyper mode weapon to use, then you used it. Plus, there was no correlation to the amount of times you used Hyper mode and the level of corruption in Samus body. I'm not saying Samus' corruption was a bad mechanic, but there were certainly better ways to have handled it.

For as much commitment Retro had to the Phazon storyline, you would think Samus' own corruption would play bigger into the story...

--Jack Kieser

What about the puzzle with the gear?

I think it's silly to break the game down into component parts and critique it that way rather than as a whole. I enjoyed everything I had to do in the game. As for the PED suit, it isn't a whole new armor, it just sits on top of Samus' Varia suit, same as with all the other hunters. As for how she obtained it, so what if it's story based? Does everything have to come from a boss battle? If you insist then think of it this way. She did get it from a "boss battle", one she lost.

I was rather surprised at there being no Super Bomb, but the hyper ball was cooler anyway. I'd like to see that ability return in the series (obviously in a non Phazon related manner).

Finally, If you're a space marine bomb squad member, and you're basically running around with high explosives strapped to your back, why the heck would your issued armor be weaker than a regular space marine's?

This time, missiles don't work so well.

What!? Missiles rape the metroids in this game. One missile and one charged shot and BOOM.

What about the puzzle with the gear?

That puzzle was pretty cool. I was awfully giddy at that point.

I want to make one of these.

metroidjellyjw1.jpg

That is SO freaking awesome.

Assuming they're not phase-shifting through the damn things, yeah.

Oh. Well if you just wait for one of them to charge you, mid charge they are completely vulnerable. No phasing. It worked really well for me. If it started charging its bolt, I'd just give it a half charged shot, which would provoke it to charge. :razz: Freeze them in one shot, and shaaatter.

Oh, and the gear puzzle in question (unless I'm thinking of a different one... which I really don't think I am) is the one where you need to find an adequate vantage point to grapple from, flip the thing in the air, then blast it onto the axle with a missile.