Speaking of Final Fantasy VII...

SwordBreaker

The bonus video ending of Crisis Core. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler for the game because most of you know what this video contains. It's basically the PS3 "tech demo" video of FFVII's intro, modified with a few extra effects and a new scene. My question is; why would they even bother doing so if a remake isn't coming? Square-Enix recently denied working on it, but I think they're just keeping us fans in the dark so they can get the green light in their pace without pressure.

Now, all we need is a custom music option in the remake so I can put Voices of the Lifestream in while playing the game in 2009. :P

The bonus video ending of Crisis Core. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler for the game because most of you know what this video contains. It's basically the PS3 "tech demo" video of FFVII's intro, modified with a few extra effects and a new scene. My question is; why would they even bother doing so if a remake isn't coming? Square-Enix recently denied working on it, but I think they're just keeping us fans in the dark so they can get the green light in their pace without pressure.

Now, all we need is a custom music option in the remake so I can put Voices of the Lifestream in while playing the game in 2009. :P

Actually I heard rumblings, I believe from the most recent EGM possibly in Quaterman so take that as you will, that Square is interested in doing a remake, it's just that the main designers are busy with other projects. Namely the thirteenth iteration. Honestly, Square would have to be pretty dumb not to remake Final Fantasy VII considering it's their most successful Final Fantasy, that I'm aware of, and will generate a ton of money especially since FFVII is once again on the public's mind.

Personally, if a remake came out I wouldn't get it, unless they did more than make clouds pop-eye arms more realistic (graphics). If its exactly the same thing, who would get it? Of course the graphics are pretty to look at, but the story you'd know, you'd know how to beat it, etc. etc. Of course they're making that FF4 remake for the DS (are they still?!) but I think thats because the new generation may not care for mediocre pixels and graphics (although they could've gotten the advance version)

I too am all excited about a remake, but it's like Injin says, even if it is on the way it won't arrive for 500 more years or so. So we might as well not get TOO excited right now. Actually I would prefer a Chrono Trigger and Xenogears remake before FF7. But that's just me.

Chrono Trigger DS.

Hear that, Square? Stop reporting games (FFIV) and start porting ones that I won't play until I get them portable.

(This is coming from someone who wasn't able to beat FFV or VI until they came to the GBA, and now finds them some of his favorite RPG's. The same thing happened with CT - I just got bored partway through and never finished it.)

Of course they're making that FF4 remake for the DS (are they still?!) but I think thats because the new generation may not care for mediocre pixels and graphics (although they could've gotten the advance version)

This may come as a nasty shock, but the newest generation of gamers today wasn't playing games in 1997, so the graphics of FF7 that we all call 'nostalgic' are more correctly termed 'outdated and crappy' by them. When they look at how far graphics have come, the Playstation is to them what the NES is to us, because they weren't there when it started. It's all about your point of reference. In other words, our mediocre pixels and graphics are their mediocre low polygon counts and cutscenes.

I would definitely buy it just for a graphics update. It would be kind of like polishing your dirty smudgy TV screen so you could finally see what it was really supposed to look like.

However, if they do remake it, I think they should let the localization team over here completely rewrite the script instead of just translating it. They've been doing that since Final Fantasy X, and I for one think it's worked insanely well. The script for Final Fantasy XII was beautiful because they weren't rigidly sticking to the Japanese translations. They never really did, but starting with 10 they were willing to completely ignore it to get the point across in unbroken English.

Oh, and voice overs. Everyone from Advent Children would be fine. But I think if Tifa says anything like "Dilly-dally-shilly-shally" in a remake it's pretty much fucked.

Square is still trying to dig itself out of that hole The Spirits Within put them in.

R u serius?

I think they've had a lot of good stuff happen since TSW:

Merger with Enix. Ramped up Square's stock and control of the Japanese RPG market.

Final Fantasy X. Hugely positive reception. One of my favorites.

Kingdom Hearts I, CoM & II. Attracted at least 75% of the FF fanbase, along with a younger crowd besides.

FF Crystal Chronicles. Anyone who hated Square for going with Sony now has no reason to keep whining. Not the most well-respected iteration, but it did its job.

Remakes of the first six games. If, like me, you did not hop on the Nintendo train at the SNES (and technically speaking, I never have as far as a console system is concerned), this was your chance. And, from what I know of the originals, it sounds like they kept them mostly the same (but cleaning up the graphics a bit), adding just enough new stuff to warrant a new playthrough.

Dragon Quest VIII. DQ fans have never been as numerous or vocal as FF ones, but from what I understand this installment was solid and lived up to the series.

Of course, there were flops as well, but I think they're largely overshadowed by the mentions above. Please tell me how Square would still be in a hole from a six year old movie when they've clearly done so many good things (including a newer, more successful movie) since then.

The problem with the remakes is that they're mostly neutered or altered for the worse one way or the other. FF4 remake was mostly excellent though, including FF3 for the DS recently. But they haven't really remade them entirely. If they're going to remake FF7, they can't get away with just making another slap on port. I think the expectations for a FF7 sequel is very different from any other port. Even with Chrono Trigger, one of my favorite RPGs, I'd rather have it stay put with its charming 2D graphics and simplistic sprites.

But FF7, I can see a huge graphical overhaul actually being more appropriate since FF7 broke new ground as a top of the line graphical adventure. Imagine if they remade Myst. They can't get away with a simplistic, ancient port rather than making it high def and with all the graphical tricks imaginable for it. Also, the final story arc could have been fleshed out a lot better. Imagine if they put in the Advent Children Jenova spawns into the story. They can even let you play Zack or something. There's a lot they can do that they already did for their spinoffs to a point.

This may come as a nasty shock, but the newest generation of gamers today wasn't playing games in 1997, so the graphics of FF7 that we all call 'nostalgic' are more correctly termed 'outdated and crappy' by them. When they look at how far graphics have come, the Playstation is to them what the NES is to us, because they weren't there when it started. It's all about your point of reference. In other words, our mediocre pixels and graphics are their mediocre low polygon counts and cutscenes.

Which is ironic since I actually see the Popeye as endearing for some reason. I even am nostalgic for the extremely polygonal Jumping Flash game or the textures-that-makes-your-eyes-hurt aspect of Tomb Raider.

However, if they do remake it, I think they should let the localization team over here completely rewrite the script instead of just translating it. They've been doing that since Final Fantasy X, and I for one think it's worked insanely well. The script for Final Fantasy XII was beautiful because they weren't rigidly sticking to the Japanese translations. They never really did, but starting with 10 they were willing to completely ignore it to get the point across in unbroken English.

Oh, and voice overs. Everyone from Advent Children would be fine. But I think if Tifa says anything like "Dilly-dally-shilly-shally" in a remake it's pretty much fucked.

Nothing can be quite as bad as the FFT/FF7 translations. It can only be good if they try to avoid those disasters of translation jobs. I'm not sure about voice overs though. Maybe for visual cutscenes it could work.

R u serius?

Merger with Enix. Ramped up Square's stock and control of the Japanese RPG market.

Kingdom Hearts I, CoM & II. Attracted at least 75% of the FF fanbase, along with a younger crowd besides.

FF Crystal Chronicles. Anyone who hated Square for going with Sony now has no reason to keep whining. Not the most well-respected iteration, but it did its job.

Remakes of the first six games. If, like me, you did not hop on the Nintendo train at the SNES (and technically speaking, I never have as far as a console system is concerned), this was your chance. And, from what I know of the originals, it sounds like they kept them mostly the same (but cleaning up the graphics a bit), adding just enough new stuff to warrant a new playthrough.

Dragon Quest VIII. DQ fans have never been as numerous or vocal as FF ones, but from what I understand this installment was solid and lived up to the series.

Of course, there were flops as well, but I think they're largely overshadowed by the mentions above. Please tell me how Square would still be in a hole from a six year old movie when they've clearly done so many good things (including a newer, more successful movie) since then.

Eh, that movie was the end of square. If they hadnt merged with Enix they would have gone the way of so many other overachieving companies, but Im sure they are fine now. And a lot of the things they learned from the movie are helping them now as its getting easier and easier to implement them on more powerful systems.

Looking back on the graphics of FFVII they sure were blocky. I mean even compared to Final Fantasy VIII just a couple years later, though they both had very different styles but i think It's interesting how FFVII has aged. I'm hoping they announce a remake soon on the PS3, FFVII+HD graphics and stuff= Nerdgasm.

R u serius?

I never said that Square hasn't done good things since then. But they're certainly not cranking out ports/remakes for the hell of it. Now I can't prove anything I'm saying, but like kupernikus said, TSW killed Square. Six years is not a long time to take recovering from a catastrophic business decision.

I never said that Square hasn't done good things since then. But they're certainly not cranking out ports/remakes for the hell of it. Now I can't prove anything I'm saying, but like kupernikus said, TSW killed Square. Six years is not a long time to take recovering from a catastrophic business decision.

I really dont think they're just recovering anymore specifically because of the merger. But, I think they are definately playing it a little more on the safe side.

Have you people considered the possibility of Square jumping ships again?

From Nintendo to Sony to Nintendo to... Microsoft? I don't know. The X-Box hasn't done too well in Japan, and even with certain exclusive titles over the last few years, it's still a very distant third in the market there.

The only way I could see a 360-only Square game is if they marketed it solely for the non-Japanese markets, where 360s have seen really good sales and therefore have a solid consumer base.

Didn't they have a couple Square titles for the 360 this year? Something about dragons or something?