Halo 3

atmuh

Master Chief himself is I guess one of the most empty main characters ever. Since he only has typical movie style one-liners and he doesn't really seem to think things over much.

That is one of the reasons I kinda hate MC. I really liked Arbiter's story from Halo 2, & I really got into that whole religious war within them. Small group of people trying to consolidate power using peoples faith to bring about their own wihses. That was a good story.

I kinda wished they'd continued that story in more detail in Halo 3, instead of relegating it to a few scenes here & there. It's also why I prefer to join a campaign, instead of host one.

That is one of the reasons I kinda hate MC. I really liked Arbiter's story from Halo 2, & I really got into that whole rleigious war within them. Small group of people trying to consolidate power using peoples faith to bring about their own wihses. That was a good story.

I kinda wished they'd continued that story in more detail in Halo 3, instead of relegating it to a few scenes here & there. It's also why I prefer to join a campaign, instead of host one.

Exactly. :)

There is much more to the Covenant's motives than the humans. And their internal strife is what makes it interesting.

It's kind of typical in sci-fi that humans are always right and aliens are always evil. I guess that's as far as feeling connected goes: we're human, so therefor we'll probably root for them.

I for one still don't understand why the humans were attacked in the first place and why the Covenent cares so much...

In fact, had they not attacked the humans they would have just found their precious Halo, fire it and uhm, well just about kill all life, everywhere.

Mmm irony.

Still, other than that it's still a pretty enjoyable series.

Since he is a cyborg

He's not a cyborg. He's human.. sort of.. he's a spartan which I believe are Humans that have had their DNA played with. Bones like steel.. amazing agility stuff like that. I was hoping the Spartan III's would make it into this game or for that matter anything from Ghost's of onyx or First strike (the books).

He's not a cyborg. He's human.. sort of.. he's a spartan which I believe are Humans that have had their DNA played with. Bones like steel.. amazing agility stuff like that. I was hoping the Spartan III's would make it into this game or for that matter anything from Ghost's of onyx or First strike (the books).

I don't want to get into a big argument or anything, but even the manual of Halo 1 says Spartans are cyborgs.

However, Chief does bleed...

Anyway, he's just not that interesting a character in my opinion :)

That is one of the reasons I kinda hate MC. I really liked Arbiter's story from Halo 2, & I really got into that whole rleigious war within them. Small group of people trying to consolidate power using peoples faith to bring about their own wihses. That was a good story.

I don't have an actual source for this, but I've heard a lot of mention that Bungie specifically toned down the Arbiter side of things because people complained about that part of Halo 2. I thought it was a bit more interesting myself, but I've not really gotten into the series as much as the hardcore fans.

Oh, and from my understanding, MC is a super-trained hormonally-warped chemically-enhanced cyborg with uber-armour. Yeah.

Interestingly enough, one of my friends had that happen to his LE copy of the game. He would begin the first mission and after awhile, it would just lock up. No RRoD or anything, just a freeze. He said he tried it again without the HDD connected to his 360 and while it still occurred, it happened much later(albeit still on the first mission). The game DID have a scratch much like that circular one that people have mentioned before which leads me to believe that it might be the disc drive, but I also think it might have been an HDD corruption. Right now I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with his 360 since we gave the game a shot on my own and had no problem with it whatsoever.

Oh and yes, the Arbiter segments of Halo 2 annoyed the hell out of me. Not because the story wasn't interesting, but rather it was due to the fact that I don't really like playing as him. And honestly, I think it's just an aesthetics kind of thing. I just really didn't like killing shit as an Elite.

I suppose he is a cyborg, my bad. I played through legendary with 4 friends up until the 7th level tonight. Wasn't that difficult but still looking forward to finishing it.

Has anyone found all 13 ( i think?) skulls? I have all of them but 2. I'm trying to unlock the Hayabusa helmet. I have everything but the helmet now.

Having played it for a couple sessions now, is anyone else slightly underwhelmed? Don't get me wrong -- it's a solid game that I'll be playing for months, but it just doesn't seem like a full generational leap forward in gameplay when compared to Halo 2.

Singleplayer campaign could actually have been more epic and the story could've made sense, but it was always like that since the first game.

The map pathing and story pacing just isn't as good as say, Half Life 2. I almost don't understand why people think the Halo story is 'the best ever', though I think it's well done for a FPS game. But it's still a bit too convoluted and they flesh out most of it in the novels, so it comes across as a bit strange.

But the multiplayer, I can imagine myself playing it at least a few years down the line. The Sand Trap map is just too fun, lurching along with the Elephant. Or harassing it as an opposing team.

I think were Halo 3 shines was the score. It was as awesome as any PS1 Final Fantasy (didn't care much for the PS2 one's OSTs). The main gripe I had with the game is the secondary charactors (i.e. Commander Keyes, Sgt Johnson, etc) all looked like they were made outta plastic. The didn't looked nearly as polished (no pun intended) as the Chief and the Arbiter did. Still had one of the best scores ever.

Best song on Halo 2 was the Breaking Benjamin song towards the end... The rest of the score is kinda unimpressive. Halo 2 had a couple harder songs that were great, but I never found myself getting hyped in Halo 3. It was all just a downward spiral after I opened the package. For someone who plays new games for 6 hrs a day (if possible) for a couple weeks after getting it, I haven't been able to stomach more than maybe 2-3 hours of play since the first day of playing.

To sum up Halo 3 for me: _massive_ let down.

High points? Graphics improved... the Hornets.. ... .........

Halo games are too slow for me... Feels like you're walking with an anchor strapped to your back -- I guess that is what happens when you're constantly wearing a two ton suit.

Also, there is the fact that the Halo series just now caught up with UT2K4 in FPS innovation. There are hardly any features in Halo 3 that really go beyond UT2K4, and UT2K4 came out three years ago.

In any case, I'm not in here to "hate" on the Halo series. They are both solid and fun games, though not entirely worthy of all the praise they get. I'm guessing that the Halo series is so popular because console shooters are so easily approachable, and the Halo series are some of the best console shooters. It just doesn't seem quite so great when compared to modern PC FPS games. In any case, I would like to try Halo 3 (possibly buy eventually), but I have a feeling UT3 is going to blow it out of the water.

Halo games are too slow for me... Feels like you're walking with an anchor strapped to your back -- I guess that is what happens when your constantly wearing a two ton suit.

I have to disagree there. Surely you don't run like a train like you do in Quake or Doom, but that is the point. The shields aren't there to make you invulnerable or fly around, but to put more emphasis on hiding and strategically positioning yourself in Halo. It's like Gears of War style gameplay without the button that corresponds to hiding on corners. It wasn't meant to be too fast or too slow.

Also, there is the fact that the Halo series just now caught up with UT2K4 in FPS innovation. There are hardly any features in Halo 3 that really go beyond UT2K4, and UT2K4 came out three years ago.

I agree UT2k4 is a really good game and had a lot of new things, but for the console experience, Halo did a lot of things and even some innovative things. Such as integrated melee weaponry for all weapons, the shield/strategic equipments and etc.

In any case, I'm not in here to "hate" on the Halo series. They are both solid and fun games, though not entirely worthy of all the praise they get. I'm guessing that the Halo series is so popular because console shooters are so easily approachable, and the Halo series are some of the best console shooters. It just doesn't seem quite so great when compared to modern PC FPS games. In any case, I would like to try Halo 3 (possibly buy eventually), but I have a feeling UT3 is going to blow it out of the water.

I play PC FPS games all the time but Halo still compares pretty favorably to me. It is basically its own experience as far as playing something on a console with a controller goes. If you compare something like Goldeneye to even something like FarCry, you can nitpick all you want about how overrated Goldeneye is and etc etc. But the point is moot because Goldeneye was a console game at the foremost. I always thought Halo games were in that same boat. If Halo was developed for a PC game, then they surely would have the requisite 64-player multiplayer maps and all those massive features for PC games. But after the very early years of Halo development, it was never intended to be a PC game.

So agreed. I always though Halo PC was far superior to the console version.

Yeah, it will be awesome and superior if/when it actually comes out. Unfortunately that won't be any time soon according to the article below. Besides, Halo 2 PC just recently came out. Shows you how much they care about the PC version. Luckily UT3 will be here in no time.

Thursday 16-Aug-2007 9:42 AM "I can tell you for a fact that there's not one line of code written for a PC version at this point", says Bungie

Should Halo 3 not come out on PC, we'll eat our own hairy backs. Like flagship Xbox games Halo, Halo 2 and Gears of War before it, it's clearly going to end up on Windows.

However, Bungie says it's not even a twinkle in its eye at the moment - understandably so as it's approaching the release of Halo 3 on Microsoft's console.

"I can tell you for a fact that there's not one line of code written for a PC version at this point", Bungie's Frank O'Connor has told GameSpot.

"We're not working on it, Microsoft hasn't even chatted to us about it yet. They realise the important thing is to get the 360 version [out] at this point."

We'd fully expect Halo 3 on PC to support cross-platform online play with Xbox 360 over Live, and for this reason we wouldn't be surprised if we saw a far shorter release gap between Halo 3 on 360 and PC that we saw with Halo and Halo 2 on PC and Xbox.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170224

Well I beat the game with my 2 of my bros online on legendary today and it took near the whole day. It was quite sweet. The ending sequence was pretty damned funny with 3 warthogs going crazy.

Also, I played a few online matches and I really like the interface for it alot. Makes it that much more fun to play. Man I love this game.