Portal

The Dennis

Keeps crashing on my computer for some reason. What I've managed to play so far is pretty fun though. Now, if only I can get the damn game to play for more then 10-15mins without crashing...

Try this trick as it may help you...

- - - - -

A while back I kept getting errors to where when I have the high quality settings turned on for the games they would crash in a matter of minutes.

ESPECIALLY HL2: Ep1

So in my search to find a solution I found this on another forum which for me actually worked.

--- --- ---

Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change the "Value Data" to one of these below:

(Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal

192Mb 0c000000 201326592

256Mb 10000000 268435456

384Mb 18000000 402653184

I went with the 384Mb option

Once I was done I made sure to reboot my computer.

--- --- ---

When I tried the game again it ran flawlessly as well as all of the source games.

If any of you guys encounter an error referring to something about DX8 Index buffer or something like that, try that solution as it may help

- - - - -

A while back I kept getting errors to where when I have the high quality settings turned on for the games they would crash in a matter of minutes.

ESPECIALLY HL2: Ep1

So in my search to find a solution I found this on another forum which for me actually worked.

--- --- ---

Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change the "Value Data" to one of these below:

(Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal

192Mb 0c000000 201326592

256Mb 10000000 268435456

384Mb 18000000 402653184

I went with the 384Mb option

Once I was done I made sure to reboot my computer.

--- --- ---

When I tried the game again it ran flawlessly as well as all of the source games.

If any of you guys encounter an error referring to something about DX8 Index buffer or something like that, try that solution as it may help

What exactly does this do?

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeh, I'm pretty sure I've been having severe paged pool memory issues ever since I got my new rig. Halo 2, Portal, Hellgate London Demo and a couple of other games I can't remember have all been having a crash fest on me they all crash the same way (screen goes black, looping sounds). Gave your suggestion a go and it seemed to do the trick but I can't be 100% certain, only gave it around 5mins. After I gave Portal a go, decided to see if the Hellgate demo would work but it still had the same problem. Will get around to trying Portal again when I have time (longer than 5mins this time) and hopefully I'll be able to play the whole way through. Thanks again.

What exactly does this do?

It's an odd issue as it has to do with how memory is managed, in particularly with games that run on direct3d more so than ogl. My rig has about one gig of ram, plays Quake Wars, Quake 3A, Quake 4, FEAR+expansion beautifully, yet when it came to games that are dependant to direct3d, unless I was running on very low settings, would crash on me after a while.

I could be wrong, but my vid card was more or less catered to playing games likw Quake Wars (ogl) although it can play games like HL2 beautifully after I did the trick.

If any one else with more knowledge about the issue and how the trick alleviates the problem are more than welcomed to give more info.

Edit: Dunno, what's your system specs..? You might even have a hardware issue for all I know.

So I just beat it. I'm almost in tears at how awesome that was.

Also the first time I watched myself fall through a hole in the floor while stepping out of the wall at the same time bended my mind. My mind was bended.

EDIT:

Also chasing myself down an inter-dimensional hallway I made was one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game. EVER.

Sounds like someone never played Narbacular Drop...

Portal beaten in 18 minutes in one sitting: Part 1, Part 2

A must-see for everyone, except probably those who are stilling waiting to get the game and don't want any spoilers or hints at how to complete the levels, though the guy does it so fast I doubt watching this video gives away much of anything except the silly humor valve implemented.

I think Groobo (the guy who did that run) may still try again for a faster time before submitting to SDA. There's actually a big portal thread on the SDA forums where he's contributing along with other portal enthusiasts and speedrunners on how to beat the levels in the fastest manner possible, so the video sort of did originate from SDA, but has yet to be submitted and posted.

• 1 month later...

Fucking hell, that was bar-none the greatest game I've ever played. Great idea, well executed with a beautiful sense of humour. The sudden change of atmosphere was superb, and the puzzles were challenging but do-able. Also, best ending/credits to a game aswell. I can't wait to see if they incoporate this gun into any other HL titles.

I loved the feeling of being this guinea pig to some maniacal AI that probably killed the entire Aperture staff itself. The way it tries to convince you otherwise was a constant source of entertainment.

• 1 month later...

"Good news. I figured out what that thing you just incinerated did. It was a morality core they installed after I flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin to make me stop flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin. So get comfortable, while I warm up the neurotoxin emitters."

"2+2 is… 10… in base four."

"There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the companion cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. SHALL. NOT. BE. MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you're adopted, so that's funny too."

"Look - we're both stuck in this place. I'll use lasers to inscribe a line down the center of the facility, and one half will be where you live, and I'll live in the other half. We won't have to try to kill each other or even talk if we don't feel like it."

This must be what SHODAN is like if she had the Girl's sense of humour. And Petulance.

I loled. I am still lolling.

So now wacky you see why everyone wouldn't shut up about this game just recently. I think the writing is probably the best of any game I've played.

"We had some fun though, right? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I was all like "goodbye" and you were all like "NO. WAY." and then I was like "we pretended we were going to kill you!" That was great..."

Portal beaten in 18 minutes in one sitting: Part 1, Part 2

A must-see for everyone, except probably those who are stilling waiting to get the game and don't want any spoilers or hints at how to complete the levels, though the guy does it so fast I doubt watching this video gives away much of anything except the silly humor valve implemented.

That's friggin insane. It also pissed me off when he got past one part near the end in about two seconds and it took me like 15 minutes.

Portal Samething goes for me i bought the game for portal XD enough of those other games, i wanted to see how portal was and what i got in the end was not happy i was in shock it was the best game i have played ina long time. Current Chart Chrono Trigger Tales of Symphonia and now Portal man very good game XD.