OCR01661 - Metroid Prime 3 "Yellow Valkyrie"

djpretzel

Wow. That sounds amazing. Awesome mix! I assume you're using the TGSF 21X soundfont for at least the hammered dulcimer, and maybe the piano? Which begs the question, how the hell do you squeeze that kind of sound out of those fonts, cuz I'm using the same things, downloaded from you, and haven't been able to come close yet. I'm gonna post a wip soon that I'd love for you to listen to, cuz it's composed using all your fonts, so I'd really like a critique. Awesome work!

Wow, that was confusing as hell, I refreshed the forum topic and all of a sudden I'm in a posted mix review thread. I downloaded a mix as it was being posted. I may have the LAST official non-OC Remix version of this song! I feel so special! But yeah, 5 times through and it's still an amazing mix. I definitely wanna know how you manage to cram so many channels in there at once without overloading the sound field. We should talk, for I should enjoy being your padawan.

Damn, Shariq's GOOD.

A very interesting blend of sounds and a solid arrangement full of quirks and interesting melodic passages. This is piece is a really interesting listen. When the percussion and strings starts playing triplets you can really hear how clever this arrangement is. It's constantly changing the feel of the rhythm in a way that doesn't seem forced or unfitting and that's something I really appreciate.

Production is good, mood is great but arrangement is where this remix stands proud. Great work Mr. Ansari.

<@DarkeSword> eon make sure you leave a review or smth

<Eon_Blue> k

I'm working through Metroid Prime 3, and enjoying the hell out of it - though I think I agree with DS, the soundtrack isn't as 'aggressive' as the previous two. While it still sounds decent with the game, it almost works better standing alone than it does working with the mechanic/organic feel of the game - the last two soundtracks blended that theme almost perfectly.

I much enjoyed the blending of the three games during the song - I can clearly pick up the whistling effect and the piano arpeggios of the first and second Prime games, along with the main Corruption theme around around 2:35 - while still bouncing around that awesome chord progression established 40 seconds into the track.

WOULD LISTEN AGAIN A++++++++

You all probably won't know me as I really don't post a lot. Sure I listen to all the music but I don't do a lot of the other stuff. I felt that this mix was one of the best I've heard thus far, and just thought I should say that I appreciate all it takes to actually make a mix, because I've tried myself and just got even more confused. Great job, I'll listen to this one over and over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This song does a great job of having that Metroid flow to it, for those of us who are well familiar with the series (unfortunately, most Metroid players seem to have missed out on playing through at least one of the games in the Prime trilogy [Hunters DOES NOT count as part of the triliogy]). I especially enjoyed how you mixed that ending track; the original sounded kind of bland with the bells and repetitive notes, but its been remixed it to excellency. It has that assertive but calm techo sci-fi feel to it, much like the music from Torvus Bog in Metroid 2, but much more rich, deep, and a bit more powerful. Great job.

• 2 months later...

I feel that 'perfection' is a word that would understate this mix.

If your three prime mixes are looked at as one, the first two make up one third (33%)each and this third of the series contains the 34th %.

Also I love how in each of the mixes the title theme is in the middle of all of 'um.

Also that change from 3/4 to 4/4 with the drums in the middle makes me cry every time.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The most notable part of this mix is that great lead synth and the piano interplay, it really sells the mix. I wish the percussion was little drier in some spots so it'd have a little more impact on me, but it's still very well done. Nice flow and transitions, and I really like the semi-gated synth.

None of the synths themselves sound exceptionally high fi, but they are all layered so expertly, that they sound full and they all fit.

Nice mix, good job. :-)

• 7 months later...

what I liked about the Prime trilogy, was that each game's soundtrack had its own style. Prime had the more electronic-techno style, Echoes had more of a darker element, along with what seemed to be more focused on bass then Prime. Corruption was much lighter, and well rounded, and (like DS said) more like classical music than electronic like the previous games. The music from all 3 games was amazing, but Corruption seemed to shy away from what made Prime and Echoes unique. 'Yellow Valkyrie' was a nice throwback to that style.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01661 - Metroid Prime 3 "Yellow Valkyrie"