• Please log in to reply
720 replies to this topic

#661 caitsith2

caitsith2

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

I have created a few automated tools for catching up what I have, and verifying the hash on everything downloaded. In the process, I have come across the following MP3s that are in direct conflict hash wise.

Also, Torrent OCR00001-OCR01000 is out of date by the way, as it still contains a song that was part of the Pre-OCR01500 Removal Process (Lockdown 2), specifically OCR00141 - Pilotwings 64 'Birdman (Clear Skies Mix)'

The hash conflicts are in: (All of them have different tags between site and torrent. Worse, some people are unwittingly torrenting their complete collection, that they have downloaded from the site, without letting the client actually verify that 100% of the files are correct, resulting in bad pieces going out.)

OverClocked_ReMix_OCR00001_to_OCR01000.torrent
- OCR00990 - Final_Fantasy_6_Rachels_Gift_OC_ReMix.mp3

OverClocked_ReMix_OCR01001_to_OCR01900.torrent
- OCR01500 - Tales_of_Phantasia_The_Koan_of_Drums_OC_ReMix.mp3
- OCR01617 - Final_Fantasy_7_Short_Skirts_OC_ReMix.mp3

Then, the following files have hash conflicts between what is on the site, and what is on ALL 4 mirrors. Hash is incorrect, no matter which mirror the file is downloaded from.

OCR02328 - Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_Thunderstruck_OC_ReMix.mp3
OCR02363 - Cave_Story_The_Unbroken_OC_ReMix.mp3
OCR02364 - Super_Smash_Bros_The_Life_and_Death_of_Kirby_OC_ReMix.mp3
OCR02365 - Chrono_Trigger_By_the_Old_Mill_OC_ReMix.mp3

#662 Gollgagh

Gollgagh

Mega Man (+15000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,540 posts
  • LocationJust hanging around, y'know, like a dingleberry.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

LT actually already has updated torrents ready to go that fixes most of this (afaik)

also unified tags and stuff
Posted Image

#663 caitsith2

caitsith2

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

The only torrents that I see, are dated 2009-03-06, (OCR00001-OCR01000), and 2009-09-09, (OCR01001-OCR01900), and these are the ones I did my checks against.

#664 Daemos

Daemos

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I think I would have preferred a rickroll.
"How many times did you do what with who?" -my mom

#665 Daemos

Daemos

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I get the sneaking suspicion that he was not kidding about 2016 reference.
"How many times did you do what with who?" -my mom

#666 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

I get the sneaking suspicion that he was not kidding about 2016 reference.

That's (not) the plan. :lol:

#667 nordlys

nordlys

Slime (+5)

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

I'm curious if it would be possible to include FLAC in the official torrents. I understand why you wouldn't want to host FLAC on your servers, as well as not all songs being available in FLAC. Can't you start with a FLAC policy "from this point on", however, and release what you already have in FLAC as well?

I can understand an MP3 only policy in the early 2000s, but HDD space and internet speeds today shouldn't get in the way of having it as a superior alternative. You already release official albums in FLAC (or WAV).

#668 Kuolema

Kuolema

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

I'm curious if it would be possible to include FLAC in the official torrents. I understand why you wouldn't want to host FLAC on your servers, as well as not all songs being available in FLAC. Can't you start with a FLAC policy "from this point on", however, and release what you already have in FLAC as well?

I can understand an MP3 only policy in the early 2000s, but HDD space and internet speeds today shouldn't get in the way of having it as a superior alternative. You already release official albums in FLAC (or WAV).

If I remember correctly, LT was collecting WAVs/FLACs from any remixers who have them for inclusion in the torrent, so at least some mixes should have them when this finally comes out.

#669 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

Larry, you're getting almost as bad as DarkeSword with the FFV project. Almost.

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#670 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Larry, you're getting almost as bad as DarkeSword with the FFV project. Almost.

Nah. Though FF5 parts 3-5 could use a compo or four to get the final stuff complete. :-)

If I remember correctly, LT was collecting WAVs/FLACs from any remixers who have them for inclusion in the torrent, so at least some mixes should have them when this finally comes out.

I am indeed collecting those, but there's no plans for a formal FLAC release yet. One project at a time, but it's something I'm privately maintaining for now. Once the new torrents come out, and ReMixers see these updates have in fact happened, I think artists who haven't responded to my callout for lossless versions before will then also come out of the woodwork.

Edited by Liontamer, 08 August 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#671 Red Shadow

Red Shadow

Evil Ryu (+14000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,901 posts
  • Locationa stagnant pond

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Here's a question: whenever the new torrent is released, will it hopefully be up to date with whatever is on the front page at that time?
Posted Image

#672 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Here's a question: whenever the new torrent is released, will it hopefully be up to date with whatever is on the front page at that time?

We only do torrents based around round #s, so probably up to mix #2500 on this update.

#673 grammatix

grammatix

Snacks'N Jaxson (+1)

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

Ahoy hoy,

It's been sooo long since I've seen an update to the OCRemix library torrent. (The last I remember seeing was 1-1800?) I posted about this maybe 1-2 years ago - any news on this front?

G-matix

#674 Liontamer

Liontamer

Community Manager, Judge

• Moderators
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

http://ocremix.org/f...12&postcount=85

#675 Brandon Strader

Brandon Strader

OK, We'll Groove/Random Encounter Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

Posted Image

#676 quintin3265

quintin3265

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

Nah. Though FF5 parts 3-5 could use a compo or four to get the final stuff complete. :-)

I am indeed collecting those, but there's no plans for a formal FLAC release yet. One project at a time, but it's something I'm privately maintaining for now. Once the new torrents come out, and ReMixers see these updates have in fact happened, I think artists who haven't responded to my callout for lossless versions before will then also come out of the woodwork.

Personally, I think that 24-bit versions of remixes are more important than lossless versions. Properly compressed WMA 24/96 can be as little as 12-13MB per song, which is far less than a 16/44.1 FLAC.

Most professional music is mixed at 24-bit, and most production programs provide the ability to render in 24-bit as well. Even if the original samples aren't 24-bit, there should still be some improvement when they are mixed together.

FYI, I've been compiling statistics about remixes recently, as people were talking about final fantasy 5 - but I'm not sure we need more FF remixes. About 9% of all remixes I've identified from the remix community are of final fantasy 6 - alone. That's 1 in 11 remixes of any video game that's ever been published.

Edited by quintin3265, 01 October 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Now you can embed your songs in forum posts and webpages for visitors to click and listen like the image below shows! Click on the image to find out how.
Posted Image

#677 Brandon Strader

Brandon Strader

OK, We'll Groove/Random Encounter Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,128 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi. I'd like to personally reply to a few things here. Good post. :-)

Personally, I think that 24-bit versions of remixes are more important than lossless versions. Properly compressed WMA 24/96 can be as little as 12-13MB per song, which is far less than a 16/44.1 FLAC.

I disagree, I think MP3s are the most important. It is the main format more than wma, which I haven't really heard of people using anymore but I'm sure there's a lot of folks who do. But it's definitely not the MAIN thing.

Most professional music is mixed at 24-bit, and most production programs provide the ability to render in 24-bit as well. Even if the original samples aren't 24-bit, there should still be some improvement when they are mixed together.

That may be the case, maybe for ProTools, I use Cubase 6 and the options I've seen are for 32-bit or 16-bit. I'm not sure but I think it records in 16-bit, I suppose I should have been paying better attention to that but it didn't seem all that important to me simply because a WAV has to be 16-bit to burn on a CD-r. I'm sure there are ways to record in those other bitrates, probably even 24-bit, but in regards to burning to CD or even just listening, you would not hear the difference between a 16-bit WAV or a 24-bit WAV with your ears. I doubt you'd hear difference between a 24-bit MP3 and a 16-bit MP3 at 192kbps.

Maybe it'd be more apt to suggest raising the max bitrate on OCR to 320kbps instead of VBR1 but even that does not seem necessary as the VBR1 really gets up there in quality -- I've seen my own VBR1s average as high as 271kbps, it depends on the song. I don't think you hear much difference between 192kbps and 320kbps, maybe in some specific or extreme examples.

FYI, I've been compiling statistics about remixes recently, as people were talking about final fantasy 5 - but I'm not sure we need more FF remixes. About 9% of all remixes I've identified from the remix community are of final fantasy 6 - alone. That's 1 in 11 remixes of any video game that's ever been published.

I disagree that we don't need more FF mixes, and I think A FF5 compo to help with further chapters would be a brilliant idea and would love to participate in that. It's never been a matter of "what OCR needs" or even what the community needs as far as any game is concerned, OCR has always accepted remixes from any game or series that is applicable and it's all up to the artists to choose what they want to cover. If that's a whole lot of FF mixes, then they choose it for a reason. The series has some really amazing music. Especially the first three. :twisted:

Posted Image
The Wettening ... Donate ... Endless Night ... Final Fantasy III
"Requiescat in pace." ~Ezio Auditore

#678 Neblix

Neblix

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,853 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

And this is why we never let mathematical logic govern musical preference.

gang%20sig.png
facebook | twitter | linkedin | website | soundcloud | code
impact soundworks developer | gossamer games audio director
current projects: Sole (iOS)

#679 KyleJCrb

KyleJCrb

Shell Shocked Director, Around the World Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,978 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

There's pretty much a whole project's worth of Final Fantasy VI remixes on the site alone, but OCR just made $80,000 for an FF6 project, so clearly the people can't get enough.

Personally, I'd be cool if Slam Shuffle was remixed more often. That's the only song from the game that hasn't been remixed for OCR that's worth a damn. Most everything else is overrated, overdone, or boring.

Edited by KyleJCrb, 01 October 2012 - 05:57 AM.

Nitro Game Injection, Sundays 6PM ET & GameFuel: Listen on Arecibo Radio | Website | OCR Thread
Projects: VROOM! | TMNT IV: Shell Shocked | KNGI Project Forums | KNGI Records

#680 Mirby

Mirby

Audio Engineering Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

There's pretty much a whole project's worth of Final Fantasy VI remixes on the site alone, but OCR just made $80,000 for an FF6 project, so clearly the people can't get enough.

Personally, I'd be cool if Slam Shuffle was remixed more often. That's the only song from the game that hasn't been remixed for OCR that's worth a damn. Most everything else is overrated, overdone, or boring.

that is such an awesome song that needs more love.

Posted ImagePosted Image
<+overcoat> I am totally a weaboo fangirl | Share & Enjoy now available! Click above! | <jeffball> my balls are everywhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums