PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get electronic "distortion?"

Incinerator Drone
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Basically I'm doing an electronic project with a huge rock/hardcore edge to it. And the moment I'm getting some decent fuzz sounds by applying BOSS overdrive effects (SD-1, etc.) to a bass VST. However I want to get a more "guitarish" feel, and all of the guitar VSTs I know of sound kind of crappy.

Even with bass there is probably something better to use than an overdrive pedal.

Anyone know any good ways to emulate guitar-ish distortion outside of recording actual guitars? Or any interesting ways to get to a cool distorted sound, doesn't even necessarily have to be guitar based.

Dj Mokram
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Guitar Rig isn't too bad when it comes to fuzz & distortion, even for bass.
The basic overdrive effect tend to try to render an electric guitar effect,
so it may not be as convincing for say, an electronic bass or a synth either.

Try this:
-Mixdown your guitar/bass part, import it in your wave editor, and use distortion plugin on the part.
-Then pass it through a noisegate to add grain while avoiding sound saturation.
-Finally add a phaser filter on top, and normalize the average rms to -16dB.

I get a really nice fuzz sound, free of clipping by doing that.

Hope that helps. ;)

LuketheXjesse
08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Sixto's got some good guitar VSTs here (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14222&page=2), if you're interested. I use KeFir in my rock recordings.

James_The_Composer
10-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I think that loads of things will work, but most important is variation in each instrument.

Like dead notes, slides, etc... for any instrument will add a genuine quality that will beat high quality yet same samples I think. It's also really easy to play once you've created a custom patch in your sampler.