Reviews for an Artists Catalog - ReMixer: Children of the Monkey Machine

tweex

I wondered what happened to this thread, actually. I know the feeling, though, of making a thread no one responds to - it's a bit depressing :puppyeyes:.

Lemme try... JJT made an awesome Magnetman remix and commented on one of my own remixes ages ago. He's a cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

... nope, we need Tweek to comment on it - I just won't cut it. I'll follow it if it started up again :grin:.

NEW REMIXER

AE

Final Thoughts:

To say that AE has a particular style is a vast understatement. His classic style synths are present in EVERY remix he's done for OCR. His production was slick and well polished from the beginning (2000) and has only gotten better. The dynamic progression in his mixes were very similar in his first submission era (2000-2002), but when he broke back out into OCR in 2007, he brought not only his A game, but also a new strategy to the fray. His collaborations have pushed him outside of his remixing comfort zone which was great to hear. His earlier pieces have been classic OCR material and I remember them back from the days of the dorm while playing FFXI with sephfire. I pray to the remixing gods that AE will not only come back and give us some new goodness, but also that he will try something entirely new in terms of genre choice. The man knows his craft exceptionally well; I can hardly imagine the awesomeness of what he could come up with. All in all, amazing work from a man named AE!

NEW REMIXER

Nekofrog

Final Thoughts:

If you like Metal, then you've come to the right place, as Nekofrog's music is STEEPED in it. Justin entered the scene with a profound ability to play really well. The execution of his guitar in ALL of the mixes his done has been flawless. His production values have been his greatest growing point over the last couple years, and it's only been getting better. He's been learning how to coax the full range of motion from his guitar, drums, basses, and all other samples AND capturing them expertly. Neko has some phenomenal tracks coming out soon that just further prove my point of his growth. He is a FORMIDABLE guitarist, who should not be surprised to see me asking to collab in the near future. Amazing job from a man named Nekofrog.

NEW REMIXER

DrumUltimA

Final Thoughts:

Well, Mr. Perry is our resident percussion expert, and that fact is certainly not lost in his remixes. Even more so considering he made an ALL PERCUSSION REMIX! No easy feat by any reckoning. Doug came into the scene with his drumming knowledge firm and it showed in the complexity of it in my mixes from the very first one. However, his production value has been a great source of growth for him. Each one got better and better. His ability to capture live sound grew tremendously and his knowledge of the software increased and sounds great. It was fantastic to hear him move outside of his comfort zone for his last and most recent track as he made a piano-only arrangement. With his EXTENSIVE musical background, it will awesome to hear would Doug will come up with next. Great work from a man named DrumUltimA.

NEW REMIXER

Steve Pordon

Final Thoughts:

Mr. Pordon is one of OCR's founding remixers and the VAST majority of his work was submitted in the early 2000s with a brief 5 year hiatus in which he subbed something new in 2008. Steve has been an interesting mixer to follow. His sound began as something very simply and VERY midi-esque. So much so, that I did have a hard time getting through some of the tracks. However, over some time, Steve brought his guitar out of the closet and started producing more rock based tracks. It was easy to hear how his arrangement style became more complex and interactive with practice and repetition in his mixes. His production quality, however, is probably what I had the biggest issues with. While I have no doubt that it improved over the few years of his mixes, it never really felt to me like it ever fully matured. Steve always seemed right on cusp of a breakthrough, but it still seemed to fall short for me. Even though I wasn't a fan of his style of music or production value, I can still greatly respect him for the work he did!

• 2 weeks later...

NEW REMIXER

Vurez

Final Thoughts:

Well, what can I say about Vurez? Like trying to defe his genre, it's very hard to pin down :). What I can safely say about Don is that if he hasn't thrown in every element AND the kitchen sink, he's not happy. Vurez has a wonderful ability to take boatloads of instruments that would never seem to work together in the same song, and can mesh them together to make it sound as though they were made for one another. They only real re-occuring genre that we heard was more of a mexican/flamenco style with the classical style guitar. Don is an extremely talented programmer and has the great ability of coaxing the full range out of his sampled instruments. I hope to one day see a tutorial of how he gets his damn trumpets to sound so bloody nice without having them drowning in reverb! I greatly hope that Vurez continues subbing material in the NEAR future. In the mean time, I can get my fix from all the other material on his site that, trust me, sounds just as good if not better than his mixes. Excellent work from Don!!!

NEW REMIXER

Unipulator

Final Thoughts:

Unipulator left OCR just as quickly as he came it would seem. Eric graced OCR with 2 beautiful, lush, ambient/new age remixes back in 2003, and has not been back since. What a crime, I say. It's hard to give a full critique of the growth of a person in just two songs, and it's made even harder when the mixer comes onto the scene with what seems like a good background and understanding of general music production. Eric meets both of those. However, I can say that just from his two mixes, you can hear the development of his ability to really fill out a landscape of sound. However, this change is subtle, and the change doesn't mean that one mix was better than the other! Both remixes were top notch. Eric, I implore you to come back and give us something new; your talent and music is tool great to leave it at only two submissions! Awesome work from Unipulator!

NEW REMIXER

Ziwtra

Final Thoughts:

With a 16 song catalog to date, Ziwtra has done something that I thought damn near impossible: he has shown that he has no real particular style. Sure, there are elements here and there in a couple mixes, but by a large, he seems to create a new identity with each mix. What blows my mind even more is that these changes are subtle. It's not a complete re-invention of sound, but rather he developes something unique each time. If there is one constant from track to track, it would be the attention to dynamic shifts within a remix. Mr. Hahn exceeds expectations in that regard. If someone asked me how to define his music, I'm not sure I could come up with an answer; I would simply have to say, "You can't explain the music of Ziwtra, you have to experience it" and experience it you should. His attention to creating tone and vibe and wrapping it around colorful melodies is expertly done. His ability to sequence drums and percussion that pin point the very needs of a track is superb. His soundscapes are lush and creative. Excellent work ALL around here. No argument will be heard from me. Fantastic!

ziwtra is my favorite remixer. His music always sounds so clean and fresh and very intricate.

Ziwtra is one of my favorites as well. First remix I ever listened to was Willed Assault. Set a pretty high first impression of the site. He's one of the few people who's style has just never really been duplicated on here.