BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume III - History

Pavos

"If there is true evil in this world, it lies in the hearts of mankind"

~ Edward Morrison

BadAss: Volume 3

Now that BadAss: Volume II is released, it is time to finish the trilogy! As with all trilogies, the first one is the basic part, the second one is the darkest part and the third one is the epic conclusion. This will also be the case with BA3 and it will be done like this: for BadAss 3, there's a small change in genre/theme to keep things interesting. Instead of gritty and mean as with BA2, Volume 3 will be more adrenaline-pumping, epic and twisted. People should feel dark and evil when listening to this album. This could be done with epic and bombastic songs, but also with really creepy or twisted songs. This means more orchestral influences (such as low choirs or strings) or more dissonance/eerie arrangements.

Think you're (wo)man enough to contribute to the final BadAss album I'll be directing and the conclusion of the (first?) BadAss trilogy? Then join up and embrace the darkness like never before! Only the most vile and twisted of musicians will be able to withstand the pure evil that will undoubtetly be contained within this album...

Forums:

http://badass3.proboards.com/

Staff:

Pieter van Os (pu_freak) - Director
Alexandre Mourey (Chernabogue) - Assistant Director
timaeus222 - Production feedback Assistant & Mastering

BA3covernewv2400x400_zpsed944ffc.png

FINAL TRACKLIST:

Disc 1 (43:51)

1-01 Lashmush - Monument of Non-Existence [Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI)]
1-02 Sbeast - Zeromus Sum Game [The Final Battle (Final Fantasy IV)]
1-03 Kammo64 - Darksightedness [Dark Bowser (Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story)]
1-04 Chernabogue, AngelCityOutlaw, Furilas - The Metal Emperor [Machinedramon (Digimon World)]
1-05 GamerShredding - Warriors of Shredder [Mid-Boss Battle, Boss Battle (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - The Manhattan Project)]
1-06 HoboKa - Jaded by Death [Deathevan (Breath of Fire II)]
1-07 Chernabogue - Crescendo to Chaos [Last Battle (VS Rival) (Pokémon Red)]
1-08 XPRTNovice - The Power [Grahf, Omen (Xenogears)]
1-09 Mak Eightman - Amputate Your Metal [boss Battle (Wild Guns)]
1-10 Chernabogue, Tuberz McGee, Furilas, Mirby, Brandon Strader - Are You BadAss [sturm (Advance Wars)]

Disc 2 (42:18)

2-01 PabloComa - Opening the Way [The Opened Way (Shadow of the Colossus)]
2-02 pu_freak - The Dark Defender [Magus' Castle, Magus Confronted (Chrono Trigger)]
2-03 David L. Puga - (Progeny) Of A Frail Humanity [Wesker Theme, Wesker - Beginnings, Mercenaries - Wesker, Winds of Madness (Resident Evil series)]
2-04 neshead80 - Fortress of Doom [sub Castle BGM (Super Mario World)]
2-05 Chimpazilla, Redg - Molgera's Love [Molgera (The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker)]
2-06 Kammo64 - Mad Jack's Drop [Mad Jack (Donkey Kong 64)]
2-07 SkyRiderX feat. XPRTNovice - Twisted Rebirth [Dark Samus Theme, Tallon Overworld, U-mos Theme (Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2)]
2-08 timaeus222 - Soiled by the Egyptians [Cave2 Tank, Day 5; Arctic Ridge, Day 9; Hydroponic Lab (Vectorman 2, Vectorman 1)]
2-09 Darkmoocher, timaeus222 - Become Death [Day 4; Absolute Zero, Day 15; Worldlink Center, Day 2; Metalhead, Day 16; Twist and Shout (Vectorman)]
2-10 Lashmush - Seed of Perdition [Lavos' Theme, World Revolution, Last Battle (Chrono Trigger)]

FAQ
What's the deadline?
You will need to give me an update every two months. Newcomers need to show me or Chernabogue progress (could be just a PM with a quick update) every month. The cut-off point will be on December 2014.

What happens when I miss a deadline?
You're kicked off the album, unless you've contacted Chernabogue or me with a valid reason. The strenght of volumed releases and not being restricted to one soundtrack is that I do not need a specific song. We won't postpone this album by months if one song isn't finished. You've been warned.

How do I join?
Just send me or Chernabogue a WIP along with your vision of how the final song will be and a timeframe of when you're planning to finish it

Any specifics I must do with my ReMix?
Yes, most importantly: follow the genre as stated above. Also, the source must (obviously) be a song that is associated with a boss. I aim to get a 50/50 division of well-known vs obscure sources.

Can I also use another source?
You can, as long as the main focus is on the boss theme and you still follow the specifics as stated above. Please use other sources from the same game. If you really have an awesome idea to mix in a source from a different game, we can discuss it.

Why the quote?
Because the evil in us will show through this album. Every artist will have to reach in their inner evil to create the epicness that will be BadAss 3. Also, the quote has been used by Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia.

Resources:
pu_freak - Piano
Chernabogue - Orchestra, drums and various instruments (programming/VST), and mixing/mastering
timaeus222 - drum programming, critical mixing/mastering, and face-melting guitars/bass

So, that's about it. Let's finish this!

A few rules posted later in the topic

SOURCE MATERIAL

In general, it should be:

- the theme from a boss (a mini-boss, an optional boss, or a final boss)

- an antagonist's theme (ex: "Kefka" from FF6)

- a theme that refers to an antagonist but which is NOT his personal theme (ex: "Those Chosen by the Planet", refering to Sephiroth, and not "One-Winged Angel" which is his "main" theme. It's not the best example, but you get it!)

The main source of the track must be the boss/antagonist theme, and other sources used should also focus on enemies, dungeons, battles, bad situations, etc.

For example, a FF7 mix of "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "Those Who Fight", or "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "The Northern Cave", is fine, as long as the first theme is used as the main source. However, a mix using "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "Fiddle de Chocobo" will be discouraged (and would be weird lol).

As I said earlier too, tell Pieter or myself by PM or by posting here, and we'll figure it out. :)

Edited by Chernabogue

I definitely want in on this. I just want to confirm. This needs to be the theme of any boss or specifically a final boss or just anything that sounds evil?

In general, it should be:

- the theme from a boss (a mini-boss, an optional boss, or a final boss)

- an antagonist's theme (ex: "Kefka" from FF6)

- a theme that refers to an antagonist but which is NOT his personal theme (ex: "Those Chosen by the Planet", refering to Sephiroth, and not "One-Winged Angel" which is his "main" theme. It's not the best example, but you get it!)

You can ask us via PM or here about a specific track too. :)

Another question. Is mixing in other themes with the song generally accepted or prohibited?

Like Pieter said, the main source of the track must be the boss/antagonist theme, and other sources used should also focus on enemies, dungeons, battles, bad situations, etc.

For example, a FF7 mix of "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "Those Who Fight", or "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "The Northern Cave", is fine, as long as the first theme is used as the main source. However, a mix using "Those Chosen by the Planet" + "Fiddle de Chocobo" will be discouraged (and would be weird lol).

As I said earlier too, tell Pieter or myself by PM or by posting here, and we'll figure it out. :)

Death Evan! Hahahaha! I remember that mix you did of his before that I did rap on. That was cool!

Yeaahhh...way back when my remixing skills were super raw too q.q

But that rap skit you did was wicked sick lol. I doubt I'd take a similar approach as I did way back when, since the album host wants a super creepy/evil feel =P

EDIT 1

I may be open for collabing again if you are =p, as some E-guitar shredding may be necessary and I lack the hardware for such.

EDIT 2

I'm thinking of taking a similar approach to

, at least for a good segment of the track, since this sorta feel would fit the album's bill perfectly >:3 What do you guys think?? Edited by HoboKa