Workshop Discussion and Guidelines (read before posting!)

halc

Welcome to the Post Your Game ReMixes forum! If you have any questions or comments related to the workshop forum, please post them in this thread!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Free mp3 hosting:

We have way too many wip threads linking to YouTube videos. There are free, easy to use resources that will host mp3's, and it is highly preferable that you take advantage of these resources. YouTube's poopy quality makes it difficult to leave accurate feedback regarding production values.

FireSlash's WIP Uploader

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/

No registration required. Temporarily hosts your wip files. Allows for streaming and downloading.

Tindeck

http://www.tindeck.com/

Quick and easy registration, and will host your mp3's indefinitely. Allows for streaming and downloading.

#ocrwip - Get additional/real-time feedback on your tracks! Join #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.com

Feedback checklist:

The checklist is a supplement to personal, specific feedback. Don't forget to leave personalized and specific comments that elaborate on or have nothing to do with the checklist. Positive reinforcement is great, so please use it when you want. You don't need the checklist for that. The point of the checklist itself is to guide listeners towards giving feedback that improves a submission's chance of acceptance onto OCR.

It is by no means required to include the checklist in the content of your post - it's simply a set of guidelines that can be used to address a number of issues we commonly see.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

[write here]

Using the feedback checklist:

Say you like a remix but just have a couple of complaints. To make things easy to read, put an X next to the problems you believe are there and simply delete the problems on the checklist that you feel do not apply. Here's an example:

PRODUCTION

[X] Too quiet

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

PERSONAL COMMENTS

Wow, really awesome mix! Just throw it through a normalizer or maybe a little bit of brickwall limiting to get the volume up higher. Also, the drum loop going throughout was sort of bland; try switching that up once in awhile. Arrangement is great though.

Edited by halc

• 5 weeks later...

Funny, every time I see it in a thread, it's used incorrectly. Don't people read the part where you erase the things that don't apply, to clean it up?

Getting tired of seeing this, when it's used...

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

[write here]

The mix was prety good, exept the ending.

Yeah, it'd be nice if it was used correctly, every once in a while. It's nice when it's used right, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Would this forum be the correct place to request for feedback on how my live instrument sits with the rest of the music? It's not a remix, just playing a live instrument over game midi and would love to know how to get it to sit better. (definitely not for mod review!)

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
We have way too many wip threads linking to YouTube videos. There are free, easy to use resources that will host mp3's, and it is highly preferable that you take advantage of these resources. YouTube's poopy quality makes it difficult to leave accurate feedback regarding production values.

This times five hundred million. Seriously...

Also, I don't see it in the rules here, but its super helpful to post a link to the source along with the WIP. Not only does it refresh people's memories, but it also serves as a comparison tool for arrangement critique.

Yeah, it's common courtesy to post the source (even when you think everyone should know the source, it's still a nice gesture). However, according to these guidelines you MUST have a link to the source if you want to get mod review'd, so it's just a good habit to get into, all around.

It's not like we don't review tracks without a source link, but I (can't speak for the others) don't necessarily consider source usage if the remixer didn't include a source to consider. Not a problem with sources I already know, but if you don't include the source link, you've only got yourself to blame if we don't crit your source use. :P

As for super helpful, source breakdowns are also much appreciated, especially for sources we're not familiar with and/or heavily interpreted stuff. The judges sometimes request those too, so you might as well include them if you write heavily interpreted stuff.

As for super helpful, source breakdowns are also much appreciated, especially for sources we're not familiar with and/or heavily interpreted stuff. The judges sometimes request those too, so you might as well include them if you write heavily interpreted stuff.

I have a question. If you have a source and remix, is it hard to understand where is the original/interpritated/changed/whateva stuff? Those breakdowns are killing your own opinion, which make you to take remixer's view as your own. Just imo.

Plus, if you can't hear the source, then remix isn't a remix or you are lazy. :P

Just so I know for future reference.

We are allowed to post covers here for feedback purposes, correct? Or is that wrong? I haven't seen any rules or guidelines that are telling me not to, but I would just like to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Just so I know for future reference.

We are allowed to post covers here for feedback purposes, correct? Or is that wrong? I haven't seen any rules or guidelines that are telling me not to, but I would just like to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Yeah, you can post covers here for feedback. Just make sure you clarify that they're covers, not ReMixes, and that you don't plan on submitting them to OCR.

Now that I'm here, let's get an official voice on this stuff:

I have a question. If you have a source and remix, is it hard to understand where is the original/interpritated/changed/whateva stuff? Those breakdowns are killing your own opinion, which make you to take remixer's view as your own. Just imo.

Plus, if you can't hear the source, then remix isn't a remix or you are lazy. :P

It's mostly for those times when we're dealing with a source we've never heard before, or one that's significantly altered or otherwise liberally remixed. It helps to have the source pointed out to us, nobody says we must read and agree with the artist's source breakdown. :P

The judges sometimes have trouble with this, too.

And DusK is right, covers are fine, just don't make mark it mod review. That's not what mod review is for.

-------

Anyway, I wanted to ask something:

How do you guys feel the remix board works right now? Are the mod reviews accurate and to your satisfaction? Are ppl getting you good feedback, or are they rude and unhelpful? Do you have any ideas on how to improve the remix board? How would you do things if you were in charge?

Or the TL;DR question:

How's the remix board doing?

The board works pretty well. Mod reviews are fantastic and I always find them very helpful and insightful. Its unavoidable but I think anyone who mixes anything apart from Mega Man, Sonic, Mario or Final Fantasy will have a hard time getting feedback unless they ask someone. This isn't so much a gripe but something I've noticed as I'm the same. Mostly, I'll comment on sources I know. It's easier. Everyone who comments here is very helpful and haven't really noticed anyone being rude. So as a place where you can post your music and get honest feedback, I think the board is doing great. I don't think there is anywhere else like this on the interwebs.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
If my WIP is only 30 some seconds long and i'm all out of motivation/inspiration right now is it still worth it to post it and ask for some feedback or is it better to move on to another project and post something complete at a later time?

I don't see anything wrong with posting it; go ahead! Just as long as you're phrasing it in such a manner that makes it clear it's still an early WIP. It helps if you're specific about how you're getting stuck--having trouble with a transition? with structure? etc.

• 9 months later...

hey i searched up the host sites you posted, tindeck doesn't actually host anymore it redirects you to another site, any other hosting sites i could use? sound cloud accused me of copyrighting Vegas by vandalism but if you listen to that song it obviously has no similarities at all with a perfect dark remix.

• 9 months later...

For those having problems getting a mod review, there are some quirks of the new forum software that complicates things. In the old forums, it was just a matter of selecting mod review from a list of approved and predefined thread prefixes. Now you have to write it yourself... and spell it correctly. Here's a few tips on how to get it right:

1. Spell it with a hyphen. Mod-Review, mod-review; uppercase or lowercase doesn't matter, but whether there's a space or a hyphen matters. The quick link for mods has been updated to cover all these spellings, but if a mod just clicks on the tag, they'll only get the threads with the tag spelled the same way. The old forum had it spelled with a hyphen, so we'll stick with that.

2. Make sure to check the "Use first tag as prefix", as that's the most visible way to mark your thread for mod review. Also, make sure to enter mod-review as the first tag in the tags field.

3. You change tags in the Full Editor.

4. If these things don't don't change anything or if you still aren't getting a mod review, PM a mod or two directly. We're here to help. Let us know if we've missed your thread (give us a week or two, though, but if it's been a month, PM us).

--

And while we're at it, do you think there are too many pinned topics on the board?