Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Very impressive, considering that it is rumored that CF is the worst of SSBB (in regards to the tier list + his lag).

A wise man once said: Tier lists represent which characters are being used and winning in tournaments. As time goes on, they do tend to be revised as more of the metagame is uncovered, but all they represent is which characters are used for winning tournaments. They may or may not reflect who is a good character.

tires don exits

Quiet you!

Tier lists do a pretty accurate job of determining who's a good character and who's not, by virtue of the fact that you're probably not going to win a tournament with a bad character. Granted, there's a lot of wiggle room within each section of the tier list, but you really can't argue the assertion that Captain Falcon is a much, much worse character than Metaknight.

Tier lists don't only rely on tournament placings (although they primarily do), but also on metagame developments and to a small extent, potential. For example, compare Ankoku's tournament results list (he ranks the characters by assigning points values to where you place, then adds up the totals and lists the characters from most points to least) to the actual tier list:

Ankoku's List

SBR Tier List

* Rank

Metaknight

Metaknight

Snake

S Rank

King Dedede

Snake

Mr. Game and Watch

King Dedede

Falco

Wario

ROB

A Rank

High

Mr. Game and Watch

Marth

Marth

Wario

Olimar

Lucario

ROB

Donkey Kong

Falco

Diddy Kong

Lucario

Pikachu

Diddy Kong

Ice Climbers

Kirby

Kirby

Donkey Kong

Pit

Peach

Wolf

B Rank

Middle

Pikachu

Toon Link

Ice Climbers

Olimar

Wolf

Fox

Sonic

Zelda

Zelda/Sheik

Zero Suit Samus

Zero Suit Samus

Bowser

Pit

Luigi

Toon Link

Peach

Ike

C Rank

Sheik

Luigi

Bowser

Low

Fox

Lucas

Ike

Ness

Mario

Mario

Pokemon Trainer

D Rank

Samus

Yoshi

Yoshi

Captain Falcon

Sonic

Lucas

Jigglypuff

Link

Ganondorf

Link

E Rank

Captain Falcon

Pokemon Trainer

Ness

Jigglypuff

Samus

Ganondorf

With a few exceptions (LOL Sonic), they're pretty similar, but the differences are explained by the perceptions of the characters, which is a very big part of making a tier list. Ankoku also updates his list regularly, unlike the tier list which gets revised once a year or so.

*sigh* So sad to see Fox so far down the bottom. Sakurai musta got his ass whooped by a very good fox user and decided to nerf him beyond recognition. Playing Brawl for a little bit, I've concluded that this is fairly accurate.

Then he must have consistently got 3 stocked by a friend that uses Captain Falcon in Melee because of what he did to him in Brawl.

I can't believe wario is that high on the lists... man, i guess i need to play him more. What makes him that good?

His farts.

No, in all seriousness, it's mostly his air mobility. To quote a friend of mine, he's like a "Heavyweight Jiggz."

Another couple of things that are just great for him are his great recovery, super armor on his fsmash, and the usefulness of his bite in punishing dodges.

Edit: Lucas's usmash has that bit of lingering hitbox that has got me more than once. It looks like it's over, and when you attempt to punish the post-lag, you get hit by this... remnant of energy.