Liontamer

ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Quick question, sorry if someone has asked this before. Asking because I recently did a resub. 

If some is doing a re-sub, are we supposed to explicitly state in like the subject of the email or something? 

And is there any changes in the judging process for a re-submission? 

Thanks haha. 

Quick question, sorry if someone has asked this before. Asking because I recently did a resub.

If some is doing a re-sub, are we supposed to explicitly state in like the subject of the email or something?

And is there any changes in the judging process for a re-submission?

Thanks haha.

We're more likely to see it if you include "RESUB" or "resubmission" in the subject line or body of the email. The only change in the judging process is that resubmissions skip the waiting line and get placed on the panel as soon as we notice them, since they already had to go through the waiting time in the past.

If a source tune has vocals, and someone made a ReMix for OCR with the same lyrics, but a different melody and harmonies (but similar-sounding blend to the harmonies), would that still count as source usage? Specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKye8frl9Qc - Original

https://app.box.com/s/d7wsat6dt4dlx8ul9yjzqij3xdh3vkd9 - ReMix

The original seems vocoded, and mine is vocoded.

To me, that's like saying "if a source tune prominently uses a flute, does using a flute in an arrangement with an unrelated melody count as source usage". To me, that definitely doesn't count. In your case, it's not about just using vocals with similar effects, it's about how much of the arrangement directly arranges the writing of the source. I wouldn't give you credit for mimicking the style of a track. I would for arranging the theme.

1) Will submissions and the remix judging/posting queues ever be moved to a live database driven application with forms and appropriate functionality (like storing judge decisions, keeping live statistics of the judge decision types like YES vs. resub vs. NO, custom functions for DJP/Larry like overrides, maybe) rather than driven by email inboxes and forum decision threads/lists?

2) If so, when can we expect the shift?

3) If so, will the dev(s) make sure to put in a notification system for telling people their remix has been judged and also for when they're posted or need revisions? I think not being told about judge decisions is a really big problem. It requires people to follow the judge threads everyday, and since the queue is almost a year behind right now, people are very likely to forget.

To me, that's like saying "if a source tune prominently uses a flute, does using a flute in an arrangement with an unrelated melody count as source usage". To me, that definitely doesn't count. In your case, it's not about just using vocals with similar effects, it's about how much of the arrangement directly arranges the writing of the source. I wouldn't give you credit for mimicking the style of a track. I would for arranging the theme.

I'm all for giving higher musical precedence to musical writing than verbal writing, but this seems kind of wrong to me. If a ReMix uses the same lyrics, that should count as source usage. It's NOT the same at all as comparing it to a flute, since the flute doesn't have the unique range of inflections and words the human voice has. If something is using the same lyrics with a different melody, it is the same song, just a different piece of music under it. It is recognizable, and a direct tie to the source.

1) Will submissions and the remix judging/posting queues ever be moved to a live database driven application with forms and appropriate functionality (like storing judge decisions, keeping live statistics of the judge decision types like YES vs. resub vs. NO, custom functions for DJP/Larry like overrides, maybe) rather than driven by email inboxes and forum decision threads/lists?

2) If so, when can we expect the shift?

3) If so, will the dev(s) make sure to put in a notification system for telling people their remix has been judged and also for when they're posted or need revisions? I think not being told about judge decisions is a really big problem. It requires people to follow the judge threads everyday, and since the queue is almost a year behind right now, people are very likely to forget.

1) S'lot of work, but that's the intention. Less so the live stats (at least initially), more the automated aspects of submitting a track.

2) No time soon. It could be years from now. djp can speak to it with some actual detail, but we'd need someone who could code it.

3) I assume that would be part of it, even if not at first.

Why didn't Larry finish the Follin album? Can we assign a new director to it? And to ff5 too! Like they did with Vroom and some of the others

Also can we redo albums? Like take the old 1 down and make a new one?

Did the mix in question here -

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/41927-no-final-fantasy-1-dawn-of-souls-chaos-temple-2014-djbny-club-rmx/

- sound like any of the other stuff on his Soundcloud?  GREAT call if so.  What I heard was EXTREMELY hot and overcompressed.  It has that one on there too.  and I agree with the muddiness, and well some of the synths are just..."boring"...and yep the repetitiveness in there.   And dat transition at 1:50...sounded like a rush job to the extreme.  

Yeah the judges, I do see that they're releasing some judgements once in a while, but has the Christmas vacation started already for the site people? And Chernabogue is right about it having been a while since the thread was updated. Was the focus put more on albums, because I noticed a bunch of albums coming out frequently for a while there! 

But as for the question, where is everybody... kinda curious to know where/what some folks are up to currently, not that it's necessarily my business, but at least if it is OCR site related I would find it interesting:shock:

@djpretzel: It looks like there's a lot less mixes to be posted than there are to be judged, at least from the time of the last thread update... is that an issue? Or is it more an effort on your part to keep the to be posted pretty clear for when new mixes are passed so they can go up sooner?

14 hours ago, Draconiator said:

Question...is PINBALL MUSIC fair game for OCR?

No, we don't accept arrangements of music created for pinball or pachinko machines. It's got to be from video games.

Yo Judges! How's that panel doing? ;) Only asking cause it's a couple months since the last update to the thread. I may be wrong but I have almost no songs to be posted. I have 3 for FF9, one for FF5, and 1 for another album that should be coming soon. 

It's my fault though for having a big gap of time where I wasn't submitting but thought I'd ask anyway, I have a few in the inbox at least and maybe some on the panel!

ed; ok so there was 1 ;p

Hey Judges, if the artist behind a song that was in the judging queue / inbox was planning on releasing an album in the near future, would it be kosher to ask for an expedited decision / posting in order to reap the cross-promotion benefits? ;)

(semi-serious about this...)

15 hours ago, jmr said:

Hey Judges, if the artist behind a song that was in the judging queue / inbox was planning on releasing an album in the near future, would it be kosher to ask for an expedited decision / posting in order to reap the cross-promotion benefits? ;)

(semi-serious about this...)

Not a problem, just PM me with the details, specifically when the album release would be and the info about when the mix was subbed.

While I'm sure there are better samples out there, that one would probably be alright. You'd need to watch out for the reverb that likely comes with the sample, though - if it didn't match the reverb levels of the rest of your instruments it would sound out of place. Be sure that you study organ music a little bit so you know how that kind of music is idiomatically written; that's often what determines how "realistic" a sample is.

Short answer, though: Yeah, that'd probably be passable as long as you did the additional footwork to make it sound like a real performance.

What are the judges opinion of a remix submitted in 2 parts? Specifically, 2 separate submissions for 2 songs, but both are designed to go together, and share themes and motifs between them.

17 hours ago, Slimy said:

What are the judges opinion of a remix submitted in 2 parts? Specifically, 2 separate submissions for 2 songs, but both are designed to go together, and share themes and motifs between them.

Both standalone parts need to be distinct/different enough from one another to merit being posted as two separate tracks; if not, consider submitting the overall piece as one track.

Hello, completely new here. Fell in love with this community the moment I laid eyes on it. I have some questions before I start trying to make a sweet ReMix here.

1.) Are soundfonts acceptable to use for remixes as long as they aren't standard? I personally am getting used to using the OmegaGMGS2 soundfont, as a lot of the samples included are prerecorded and not compressed. However, I notice that everyone on here mostly uses samples, (which I have questions for as well).

2.) How limited is the FL Studio demo compared to something like LMMS? I have zero money to put forward to get a good DAW, so right now im just trying to manage with LMMS, which is clunky and odd to me, plus often times complicated Midi arrangements get so slow that the program crashes and then my progress post save is gone. I really want to get a better free DAW that can last me until I can put money forward to get a full version of FLStudio.

3.) How is the legality of sampling handled? I have no clue about these things, but if one of my sampled artists says that their work can only be used with no monetization, do samples get excluded purely because of how they are a component of the song and not the song as a whole? How is credit for samples handled at OCReMix?

4.) Whats the best source for improving composition knowledge? So far im very basic, ive picked across websites and music teachers and other things to get a basic understanding of what sounds right. I want to go further.

I suppose I can go through these one by one, see if that helps:

1.) Much like many things in life, it's not what tools you use, it's how you use em'. Soundfonts are acceptable, as long as you can handle the instruments in a manner that make them sound either realistic or interesting. I know that Darkesword has a few tracks posted that used older or free soundfonts, so I know it's at least possible.

2.) FLStudio, to my understanding, prevents you from saving a project, but is otherwise fully functional. It's pretty good to learn with, but that does become a hindrance when it comes to making more complicated projects. If you're on a budget, I hear Reaper is an entirely free DAW demo which only limits you by giving you guilty reminders of how you should buy it one day. It's very good, comparably as good as FLStudios.

3.) As far as samples are concerned, it's certainly a case-by-case basis, on here. There are a few certainties on here, though: Square Enix samples are off limits, due to the company's request a few years back. There are a few sites (like freesound.org) that offer some absolutely free to use without credit, so that's a viable, safe option (I use them quite often in my own arrangements). Others have used various SFX from other sources, so it's not strictly forbidden, but using too much can raise a flag or two if the samples are from obvious sources (other songs, movie clips, etc.). It's something you can play by ear, or you can use those aforementioned free samples, if it makes you more comfortable.

4.) Well, glad you asked! Take a look into our workshop forums - look at what others do, read what others have said to the music that's posted there. If you're working on some things, feel free to post them in there, and posters on here often will give you great advice that'll help you learn and grow. OCReMix is a great resource for learning your craft, so check the forums out! :D

On 9/21/2016 at 0:58 AM, Gario said:

I suppose I can go through these one by one, see if that helps:

1.) Much like many things in life, it's not what tools you use, it's how you use em'. Soundfonts are acceptable, as long as you can handle the instruments in a manner that make them sound either realistic or interesting. I know that Darkesword has a few tracks posted that used older or free soundfonts, so I know it's at least possible.

The majority of my remixes are soundfont/free-sample only. It wasn't until Gentle Fist from FFV that I started using purchased libraries.

Free soundfonts are still extremely viable for OC ReMixes.