Liontamer

ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Many months ago (probably August or September), I sent the judges a re-submission of one of my remixes, which also appears in the recent DKC3 album. The original album remix got NOed, then I made some edits and changes according to the feedback I got and re-submitted that. I have not heard back from the judges about this, nor has it appear in the "To Be Judged" list (I feel it hasn't been updated in an eternity though)

Few questions about this: How can I be sure the re-submission didn't just fall through? Maybe the changes in the mix weren't great enough to be re-judged?

And in the case that an edited, improved form of the original album track does get posted, does it count as its own track or part of the album?

Many months ago (probably August or September), I sent the judges a re-submission of one of my remixes, which also appears in the recent DKC3 album. The original album remix got NOed, then I made some edits and changes according to the feedback I got and re-submitted that. I have not heard back from the judges about this, nor has it appear in the "To Be Judged" list (I feel it hasn't been updated in an eternity though)
The judging status page says:
Mixes subbed prior to July 1, 2013 on the panel.

If you submitted a mix on or after this date, your mix is still in the submissions inbox and will not appear on this page.

Since you said the original submission was 8/13 or 9/13, and they're on 7/13 now, they haven't caught up to your resub yet. The only reason your original one went through so fast was because of the album. Check with them if the date on that page is later than the date of your resubmission.
And in the case that an edited, improved form of the original album track does get posted, does it count as its own track or part of the album?
Usually updated versions of album tracks are still flagged as being part of the album. I suppose it might not if you altered it drastically enough. They'd probably contact you to discuss it, though.

Every so often we skim through the inbox for resubmissions to post to the panel. Because they are resubs, they do get priority for making it onto the panel, which is usually why you see some mixes that are far ahead of the 'Currently' date. What I do personally when looking for a resub is to search the keywords ("resubmission", "resub", "re-submission"). If you didn't give us any indication that it was a resub in your email it might have been missed.

Meanwhile, send me a PM of the date you sent it and the name of it and stuff and I'll take a look for you. :)

The judging status page says:

Since you said the original submission was 8/13 or 9/13, and they're on 7/13 now, they haven't caught up to your resub yet. The only reason your original one went through so fast was because of the album. Check with them if the date on that page is later than the date of your resubmission.

Usually updated versions of album tracks are still flagged as being part of the album. I suppose it might not if you altered it drastically enough. They'd probably contact you to discuss it, though.

I know you're trying to help, but please don't answer questions if you're not a Judge.

I know you're trying to help, but please don't answer questions if you're not a Judge.

...because your answer wasn't actually accurate as to why we hadn't gotten to that track. :lol: Had to explicitly say that, just to be clear that THAT's why we ask peeps not to answer for us if they're not on the (evil) panel.

I used to answer questions here thinking I knew the answers but as it turns out I didn't so I don't anymore :lol:

My apologies. Once of my duties at work is to intercept common questions that get asked all the time, so the administrators don't spend their precious time on that sort of thing, so I guess I get into that habit. I'll refrain from trying to "help" in that manner going forward.

My apologies. Once of my duties at work is to intercept common questions that get asked all the time, so the administrators don't spend their precious time on that sort of thing, so I guess I get into that habit. I'll refrain from trying to "help" in that manner going forward.

It's no big deal. I'll have to add a section in the Submissions Standards about resubmissions that lays things out in some detail so that we can clarify how it works, so thanks for the nudge. :-)

I'm not 100%, but I swear sometime recently that there was a re-release of Relics of the Chozo with MP3 files and better tagging. If it's true all I'm able to find is the original torrent on main page for the album. Is there anyway to get this MP3 download now?

I'm not 100%, but I swear sometime recently that there was a re-release of Relics of the Chozo with MP3 files and better tagging. If it's true all I'm able to find is the original torrent on main page for the album. Is there anyway to get this MP3 download now?

http://bt.ocremix.org

I have an iPad that I got for Xmas this past year, and there is a game for it called "Clumsy Ninja", where one of the source tunes has different variations every time you play. For example, I recorded one of the sources from my iPad ( https://app.box.com/s/cms3aoijlgbewryguzhi )

However, I recently found a video of gameplay on YouTube with largely the same variation that one has, however there is a "guitar solo" which is not present in my recording, and is slightly different (

)

How do you guys judge sources that have variations like this?

Well, we don't judge sources, we judge remixes.

If the sources are basically the same, they're basically the same. We'll compare the remix to the source that the artist indicates.

If a remix sounds super-liberal or is doing stuff that isn't present in the source they provide for us, we might do some further investigation and check other tracks in the game to see if that material is used.

It's more "tell a judge", but I just sub'd a mix, and had to re-send anoter mail with a fixed version (one instrument went insane). So please check the fixed version only, thanks. The other mail (with the bad version) contains all the info about the mix. Cheers and sorry for the trouble!

They use gmail, so I think the messages are compounded into one string of messages. Should be fine if you sent it within the same month (one time I reworded a remix writeup 6 months later and it got delayed from judging until Kristina and I clarified it was sent way back when :-P).

Edited by timaeus222

They use gmail, so I think the messages are compounded into one string of messages. Should be fine if you sent it within the same month (one time I reworded a remix writeup 6 months later and it got delayed from judging until Kristina and I clarified it was sent way back when :-P).

Yeah, I know, as I talked a lot with Larry for another mix :lol: Just wanted to tell them.

Just curious, why don't the albums we've directed that are listed next to our real names link to anything anymore? Also why aren't the titles italicized anymore either? I liked how that looked haha

Did that all get changed because Deia's title was too long? :P

Just curious, why don't the albums we've directed that are listed next to our real names link to anything anymore? Also why aren't the titles italicized anymore either? I liked how that looked haha

Did that all get changed because Deia's title was too long? :P

An eventual forum migration to Invision (IPB) doesn't support HTML or titles with more than 64 characters (including code), so plain text it is for everyone. We've saved the old titles (just in case), but I don't believe they're workable in IPB.

Wait you mean

V6 is actually happening?!?

It was never not happening, it was simply deferred as we:

1. Dealt with life & continued site operations, and more specifically...
  2. Weighed our options with regards to the future of vBulletin and any alternatives

Yes, we are slow & deliberate, but we've also been around for 14 years, with almost zero downtime, putting out some great music. Rather than doing radical overhauls or site resets on a regular basis, we've been pragmatic, and that pragmatism has contributed to stability & our ability to do a lot of other cool stuff, so I'm not crying.

This year though, this year...

You can't fool me. V6 is never happening. Just like all those "albums" in the "projects" board are never happening. NEVER :P