OCR00912 - Secret of Mana "Desert Snowstorm"

djpretzel

Beautiful. That's all I have to say...absolutely beautiful. I have always been a huge fan of the Secret of Mana soundtrack (available at Animenation, as well as the arranged version...*waits impatiently for hers to get here*) and this is the kind of remix that makes me close my eyes and imagine scenes. It's right up there with Israfel's SoulBlazer remix. Desert Snowstorm has a very quirky (in a good way) rhythm in the first half, the 'snowstorm' part, but my favorite is definitely the 'Desert' section. The percussion is very well done, and the dynamics of the wind instruments are not too loud and not too soft. Very well done. Five stars.

I'm impressed! I was holding my standards high for the next Ziwtra mix, and I'm really happy it was another SoM mix, as I've loved that OST since 1993. I don't think many other people have remixed these, and its a fresh change. It makes me get all goosebumpy and nostalgic, as all the other good SoM mixes have.

Nice work, Ziwtra. Hope to see more from you soon. Please do more Secret of Mana!

Smoothness in mah ears! Great. The second half is my favorite. While the first half is well done with great samples, drums, and synth effects, it feels a bid odd to me, and it changes often which kinda messes up the flow a bit. Maybe more steady drums with more pronounced beats 2 and 4 emphasis would help. But that's nitpicking, and I don't know how it could be done better other than that. The second half is beautiful and a bit more cohesive. This whole mix has exceptional audio quality with the perfect EQ, and awesome work in making stereo separation noticeable, but not annoying. This stuff really adds a lot to the mix. Top notch stuff.

I love the beginning... up to about 0:48... then it gets kind of weird. I think the rest is good... but the begginning got me all excited for something more than it ended up being, and kind of spoiled the rest for me. ::shrug::

The rest of the song is growing on me. I think this will still make it into my "best of OCR" playlist. :) Ziwtra is quickly becoming one of my favorite remixers.

All's good with this mp3 mix. Anything that can get my senses going, and make me want to dance to the beat is a good mp3 to me.... however, the only thing that got me with this piece was the sudden shift from 2:31 and 2:32... thats probobly the only problem with it, even though a very minor one. All in all, I really do like this peice. Good job!

FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10

Beautifully arranged indeed. Very neat introduction and a catchy interpretation of the desert music. Couldn't really find the snow music in there, but that failure must be on my side. More plaudit from another fan of the series. Keep on keeping on!

• 1 month later...

:)

I love it to bits! It's one of my current top 5 favourite MP3s at the moment and it's likely to be staying there. It's nice to see the little-heard Ice palace theme and the blending of the Kakkara Desert works a lot better than I thought it might. The song is nicely varied - it doesn't drag on and changes enough to keep interest but not so much that it loses the flow. I'm impressed!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this remix for quite some time now, and I'm suprised I never even commented on it. This is definitely some good stuff to zone out to, it brings back the fondest of memories of this game. Ziwtra definitely has some excellent talent, keep it up.

• 1 month later...

this is so good that i almost ruined it by listening to it so much. it's like so good that it automatically goes onto music playlists that have nothing to do with the song's genre or anything to do with videogames. i had to literally cut back from listening to it out of grave fear that i might possibly get burned out, though that's probably not possible.

it sounded good in WIP and even better after all the changes. my "ziwtra" playlist only has 4 remixes. please make this playlist longer :D

-rob

EDIT: damn typos

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

On the professional level, no questions. I also listen to it too much...

One of my favourite MP3's of all time... I love the somewhat muffled string samples that fade in at 1:25ish and then bounce around at 1:44ish the best, the crackle adds that snowstorm feel. That muting effect around 1:43 and 2:04 is delicious. The percussion is intelligent enough to listen to on it's own but mixed it with the instruments and the many other layers... gorgeous gorgeous mp3.

Keep up the good work Ziwtra

• 3 months later...

This, I think, is the best song I've heard on OC Remix so far. The professionalism displayed, the talent, the attention to every detail, every effect, every unsuspected sweep, jingle bell, everything... I am just amazed by this effort. I applaud anyone who spends this much time perfecting a song; I hope to one day approach this caliber of arrangement and sequencing. Serious ear candy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow this peice is brutal! Its so damn good! It's full of so much energy. When I first heard the song it was like it kicked the shit outta my ear drums and left them begging for more. Really great trippy techno. Could you expect anything less from Zwitra?

Kudos man you put together a slammin peice.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The beginning caught me directly, the synths and beats unleashed at almost the same time with awesome samples and arrangement, just great. It changed its course suddenly afterwards, i could recognize that pop-ish style from "Stomp the Summer Sky", same goes for the string sample used after that part.

Things sort of melded into each other later, then it changed radically at 2:34 again. This time I loved it. The drums used was astonishing, I love those kinds that gives away that bright sound. :D And there was no changes now at least, Ziwtra kept this safari theme and succeeded well with it, in my opinion.

This is indeed a remix, not only techno but also something more foreign. Sweet. :D

• 9 months later...

Yes more and more FFA and SoM musical goodness. I've listened to this a few times, but it is def one of those songs the more I hear the better it sounds.

Very high production values all around, i think it's also one of the better soundscapes Ziwtra has constructed. Breakdown at 2:35 was a great idea, and the new melody that came in shortly after was an even greater idea. Even though the new melodies in the 2nd half seem to produce very different emotions than the composition in the beggining I still like it. You gotta appreciate this unique song structure, bc it does work. Keeping the similar sounding rythms is what ties in the the 1st and 2nd half for me.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00912 - Secret of Mana "Desert Snowstorm"