Super Mario World level that plays music

Bigfoot

I should rephrase that: I expected more out of it. The amount of time and effort that obviously went into this is admirable/impressive but the final product doesn't really PLAY music (as I was hoping it would), it only vaguely syncs up the SFX noises with the song, which is what didn't really impress me.

Also, you're overestimating the guy, this is one of those levels that are designed to 'play themselves'. I'm pretty sure he didn't even touch the controls during the level, since the whole level is quite obviously created with the intent to sync up with the music.

Yes, but to design a "play themselves" level this large and to perfectly sync up every sound effect in the game is pretty damn impressive to me.

Also, you're overestimating the guy, this is one of those levels that are designed to 'play themselves'. I'm pretty sure he didn't even touch the controls during the level, since the whole level is quite obviously created with the intent to sync up with the music.

Perhaps, but then how does he go into the door at 2:14?

I'm impressed, but it's not the best movie I've seen. I was expecting more out of it, like Tensei, but I can see why6 it's pretty sweet.

Is this because of the thread title, or has the Internet really made you guys this jaded? :[

Well, let's say this.

Remove the backing track and what do you get? Just a series of sounds with no musical value whatsoever, and you know it.

This is only impressive in terms of the autoplay function, which has already been done to death (and beyond) with SMW.

It's not musical, and it's certainly not melodic in any way.

Perhaps, but then how does he go into the door at 2:14?

I'm guessing the game has been hacked in such a way that he enters doors like that automatically, it would be kind of odd if he had automated the whole level except the doors. The fact that the video is called 'This Hands-Free SMW Level' kind of indicates this too. ;)

Either way, it's still impressive that he programmed the level to be so perfectly in sync.

Is this because of the thread title, or has the Internet really made you guys this jaded? :[

Well yeah, the thread title says " Super Mario level that plays music" which it isn't so if you look at the video after reading the thread title I guess I can't really help but be a bit disappointed. That said, I'll conceed that the little melodies done by the shell stomps and collisions definitely ARE impressive.

Yeah, in this case I'd say Kotaku's abysmal use of wording is definitely the real disappointment here. :P

Well, let's say this.

Remove the backing track and what do you get? Just a series of sounds with no musical value whatsoever, and you know it.

I wish there were a way to do this, just to prove you completely wrong.

This is only impressive in terms of the autoplay function, which has already been done to death (and beyond) with SMW.

If you're implying that there is a video with a better display of timing and synchronization, I eagerly await a link.

It's not musical, and it's certainly not melodic in any way.

Again, not true. If you take out the backing track, you will hear sounds set to a very distinct rhythm that often do, in fact, play a distinguishable melody.

Okay, considering what material there was to work with, this is incredibly amazing. If you can find a better example of a Perpetual Mario Machine that can sync up with a piece of music you're a fanboy of I mean a better piece of music then by all means please do. You also might want to check your ears if you're so dead set on the Mario sounds not making any resemblance to the music being played. The pitch tricks were definitely deliberate and again considering what there was to work with makes it impressive. WHAT MORE DO YOU EXPECT FROM THIS?

With a second listen, I can see what you guys are saying about it syncing nicely... but I really have to concentrate to enjoy the added game sounds. If I start doing something else (like typing this post, watching the shells slide around, or wondering why Mario keeps flying around at ludicrous speed), it just sounds like a generic midi-ish dance song, with Mario sounds that have little relation to it.

And I tend to enjoy mediocre dance music quite a bit - but to me this song was just bleh... BEYOND generic mediocrity, and it just keeps going and going.... =/

I mean, surely you've seen/heard creative "make music with unconventional sounds" things before, right? This one has to be the least enjoyable to listen to that I've seen =( If I wanted to be entertained by programmed music, I'd listen to NES soundtracks. And I think I just might do that ^_^

I hope this guy (or team???) makes another level with more involved Mario-sound-music, and less giant 11-minute meme that I don't get.

I still pretty much say the same thing I said at VGM the other day. Video = Awesomeness 8)

The tune selection leaves something to be desired though. I just don't like some of the remixes. That video really is too long as well. =/