Fun (if not good) Games

justinj212

Honestly, if I'm just going for sheer fun I play audiosurf. It's as mindlessly fun as you want it to be and it works with whatever music you have on your computer(though the flac support is flaky). Also, trippiest visuals I've seen lately. It's like wipeout meets rez.

Do you like ducks?

This game is downloadable and costs only 3 bucks!

Bucks for ducks! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBV8eWl5n_k

I love you.

Audiosurf is alright, it's fun in small doses for me but you'll like it more with the more diverse music you have. Some music is crazy in it, I tried some of my own songs in it which was fun, even more fun to realise other people had played them too!

Audiosurf is alright, it's fun in small doses for me but you'll like it more with the more diverse music you have. Some music is crazy in it, I tried some of my own songs in it which was fun, even more fun to realise other people had played them too!

Seeing what obscure game covers/mixes other people have played is a game in itself, as is dethroning people on each one. Finding out people have been playing your music must have been a surreal experience.

Another of my classic PS2 favourites is "Way of the Samurai". If you can get involved in this kind of game, you'll be hooked for ages. Basically you play as a wandering samurai that ventures into a town with a feud between two groups, and this is set during the period where the samurai were killed. There's alot of unique interesting characters, and many story paths to take which involve 5 different endings. Basically, the game will take you 2 hours to finish, but you'll repeat it again and again for the stories and the endings. The combat is ace too, awesome sword play action. The best bit about the game? Swords, whenever you finish you keep your swords, die and you lose the one you're carrying. Literally each unique character has a unique sword, there are many swords and some of the common ones have great stats if you're lucky. The longer you train with the weapon the better it becomes, you can temper it at a blacksmiths (heck you can even kill the fucking blacksmith and take his hammer) and you can unlock awesoem powerful moves. You never train the character, its always the swords. The area of the game is small, but necessary. There's even a 100 man battle. There is a sequel too but I found it to be a bit too big and long to replay over and over.

YES. THIS.

I effing love these games. The second one really is better, though, as they fixed a couple of the really crappy glitches from the first one and added a lot of new weapons. It is a tad long to play through again and again, but I couldn't stop myself once I got into it, and there are several different endings, so it's all good.

Assassins Creed...

Actually fuck that, that was an amazing game...

That's just one of those love it or hate it situations, pure opinion. Like, in the gaming world there's games that are universally bad/good (or just bad fun) but games like Assassin's creed is ether you don't mind doing the same pattern in different ways over and over again (i.e. me) or you find it repetetive and utterly boring. The same goes for No More Heroes, which I like as well.

Fun = good.

Good in the fun part, anyway. Some games are just plain designed badly, have bad presentation, dialogue, (gulp) music, you know, presentation and whatnot. That's sort've what we're talking about here. Ninja Gaiden is bad in almost all of the things above, but the gameplay is so amazing that everything else doesn't matter; it sort've adds to the charm of it, really. Then there's Legacy of Kain: The combat and gameplay are mediocre, but the story and dialogue are great. (or at least out of what my friends showed/told me)

Umihara Kawase and Sutte Hakkun for the SNES are two of my proudest finds.
I second this recommendation.
Umihara Kawase is very fun and very nerd-core (meaning, only a small percentage of gaming geeks probably know it even exists), but it's also incredibly difficult. Probably the most difficult free-grapple-system game out there.

You paying attention justinj212? :D

You paying attention justinj212? :D

yes, I am. and this thread wins the award for "lasting far longer than I thought it would" and has convinced me to include some 'non-serious' element in each of the 'serious' posts I make from now on.

And on that note, UMD Gamer Symphony Orchestra concert recordings are up, click the link in my sig to visit our homepage. thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!

YES. THIS.

I effing love these games. The second one really is better, though, as they fixed a couple of the really crappy glitches from the first one and added a lot of new weapons. It is a tad long to play through again and again, but I couldn't stop myself once I got into it, and there are several different endings, so it's all good.

I'll third this. Way of the Samurai was fucking amazing and a much overlooked gem of the PS2 era. Combat really was amazing too, especially when you started getting good at it. I loved every minute of that game.

The Armored Core series is filled with enjoyable gaming experiences if you're in to mechs and tactical, adrenaline-pumping action. Armored Core: For Answer (PS3/360) is the best current-gen game but the PS2 titles are not bad either!

Viewtiful Joe (PS2/GC) are two GREAT side-scrolling action games with some unique features and graphics that make them a good add to any collection.

Finally, Magic the Gathering: Battlegrounds (Xbox, backwards compatible on 360) is surprisingly fun strategy gaming with a hint of vs. action. Not for everyone but certainly fun for some.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the 360 (although it's fun on the Wii as well).

Absolutely brainless beat-em-up (we did not read one line of text in the entire game and we beat it), but it's so amazingly fun. My roommate, my roommate from last year, and I picked it up and could not put it down until we beat it. We actually just restarted on hard mode.

Really fun.

God Hand and Way of the Samurai are good fun, and if you like those you must try Samurai Western. It's an offshoot of the Way of the Samurai series I guess. But it's closer to God Hand in terms of gameplay and style. It's extremely repetitive but it is damn fun. And you can customize your character with a bunch of hilarious accessories and play as any character in the game.

The intro is pretty stylish:

Did anyone else besides me play that free 'Doritos T-Rex game' that was on the XBLA?

It was really only fun for a day or so, but still a Cyborg T-Rex is guaranteed good times

I was going to mention this. It was pretty fun.

The spiderman 2 and 3 movie games were fun. Just swinging around the city doing random crime busts was tons of fun.

I always enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, much to everybody's confusion (including my own.)

The tails/eggman levels are mindlessly easy and I liked blowing stuff up. The sonic/shadow levels were the funnest. And the knuckles/rouge levels I actually liked, but that's because I have each level memorized because of the fact that I played this game way too much way back in the day.

• 4 months later...

I've enjoyed Crisis Core. The battle system makes it a real challenge and the cut scenes gave me an idea of what FF7 would have been like if re-released. I wanted to play the original over again.

I also want to try inFAMOUS for PS3. I heard the gameplay was just as fun as GTA; with excellent cutscenes and graphics.

Steambot Chronicles (PS2) is an open ended sandbox mech/rpg/music game by irem that definitely should be checked out before it dissapears.

I have to second the vote on this one. Its probably one of the few sandbox titles I've ever played that actually kept me hooked for awhile. A lot of critics have said its the equivalent of what would happen if Hayao Miyazaki made a Grand Theft Auto title or something to that extent. The controls for the mechs (trotmobiles) you use take awhile to get used to (something about using shoulder buttons to turn and whatnot) but otherwise the title has TONS of variety. Playing a trumpet on a street curb to make extra cash=awesome.

I'd also advise checking out Gungrave and its sequel Gungrave:Overdose. The former has the better art direction I think, but the gameplay gets pretty repetitive, while the latter took a downgrade in the visuals for a more fluid combat system. Ultimately though, both games just SQUEEZE style, and I'd argue that Beyond the Grave is one of, if not THE most badass silent antihero ever. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than carrying a coffin around your back loaded with heavy artillery.

Plus seeing "KICK THEIR ASS!!!" at the start of each stage just fits the game perfectly before you turn people into "bullet and hamburger sandwiches"

/yahtzee reference

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack; it didn't really get much praise, but I remember enjoying it so much when it came out in May of 2000 (same day as Perfect Dark, and I chose Bomberman, which I still don't regret, though I later bought Perfect Dark). Best part about it? Music by Yasunori Mitsuda. Win.