Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

I already went over Jovian's problems in the IRC channel last night. It seems he just wants to nitpick at the game and is biased right off the bat.

Since when has anyone ever known NJ to NOT complain about something when he had the ability? :?

I disagree with virtually everything that he said. How is a charger different than a hunter? Spitter/boomer? Weapons feel the same? I almost feel like he's just trolling for lulz with statements like those. As M-L said, that's fine if you don't want to shell out full price for the game, but sounds more like you're just determined to find SOMETHING wrong with the game. Your gripes make no sense to me.

-Boomer blinds survivors and attracts the horde, usually leads to corner stacking.

-Spitter does range damage and specifically breaks up corner damage. Also can spit on downed survivors making them more difficult to pick up until the acid has gone. Acid can be used to obstruct exits/bottlenecks.

-Hunter pounces and pins a survivor. Easy target after that.

-Chargers can send you flying away from your group and then run away, leaving you open to be picked off by another infected, or fend for yourself while the rest of your group has to fight to come give you aide. I've seen the AI charger do this dozens of times already.

-the witch now WALKS AROUND so sometimes you can't just go around her like you could in the first game.

-Bile bomb does not deal any damage over time by itself. Sometimes, it's a good tool to simply draw the infected away from you. It lasts longer than the pipe bomb, so it'd good for places like the maze where you have to run to shut off the alarm. Also, if you don't pick off the infected while they're attacking the bile mist, they are going to come back at you with a vengeance once it's worn off. I also watched a horde obstruct and kill a tank on expert, so it's definitely not the same as a molotov/pipe bomb.

-The adrenaline is also completely new. Makes you run faster than you do at full health, makes you revive downed survivors twice as fast.

-The tier 1 weapons are pretty much the same, but the tier 2 are COMPLETELY different. Did you even USE the tier 2 weapons? The new sniper rifle? The combat rifle? The AK47? Also, we didn't even get to see the GL or the chainsaw in the demo.

-Did you even try the magnum? It does the damage of a shotgun with the range and accuracy of a pistol. Melee weapons aren't good if you just run into a crowd of zombies, but they're pretty awesome if you're in a corner or closet or guarding one side of a doorway.

I suppose the only thing I can remotely understand is the thing about common infected being everywhere. But heck, that makes it more challenging. The whole point of the game is that the human race has been reduced to zombies. Not, "survivors vs. one special infected every 20-30 seconds". And I'm sure the other campaigns will be more tense. This level was during daylight. Things always feel more tense when it's dark, and we haven't even seen the finales yet.

By all means, don't feel obligated to shell out $50-60 for it. But then again, I got it for $34, and I consider that VERY reasonable. Also, I'm sure in a few months Steam will have it's old faithful 1/2 off weekend and you can buy it then. You're free to not like the game as much as you want but gravy your complaints are inaccurate.

Here's a list of my own complaints/longings that are based on the first game. I liked the old characters better. I think the music was better - that's a big reason it seemed so tense. Now it's just a bunch of obnoxious, uh, creole(?) noise and while it does feel frantic, it doesn't really feel scary.

I personally love that there are common infected everywhere, even after events. I hated that about the first. You could do an event by triggering it, then running past the mob and not having to fight anything the rest of the level, if you could run fast enough. I want there to be a little bit of a challenge at least.

And yeah, there will be steam sales on this, probably not this year, but next year for sure. Possibly a good one at christmas, since valve is good about that. Or theres always g2play ;)

and we haven't even seen the finales yet.

Speaking of finales, can I just say that I like the change to the formula they made with the tower and the maze. Every single event like that in the first game pretty much consisted of let's hunker down, set off whatever loud thing we're supposed to set off and wait for the two waves to finish before moving on. I thought forcing you to run through the horde to stop the noise calling them was pretty brilliant, and a nice change on a somewhat tired formula. I can't wait to see what other new scenarios pop up in the full game.

Yeah, I know I was nit-picking for the most part, but every little thing combined really affects the overall experience for me. I had an open mind when I was ready to play the demo so don't think I'm here to just troll. I guess all that is accepted in this thread are mostly favorable comments, though.

I'm still going to buy the game. It's fun as hell, but it feels totally separate from the first L4D.

(Re: EdgeCrusher) Exactly. What people who've played the first game a LOT have noticed, is that Valve has addressed pretty much every possible exploit in the first game and addressed them.

-Cornerstacking/closet-camping. The smoker was pretty much the only hope of breaking this up, and it wasn't much hope at all 99% of the time. Now, you've got the spitter which FORCES them out of the closet/corner they're in.

-Tight groups. These were pretty hard to deal with in the first game. Now we've got the charger which can split them up like billiard balls and the jockey who can literally direct one away from the group or into a hazard (fire, acid, ledge, around the corner from the other survivors.)

-Zombies everywhere. I HATED the fact that rushing became a viable tactic in the first game. And the fact that the AI director wasn't smart enough to spawn zombies outside a certain area on triggered events was just silly. That was quite obviously an oversight that Valve did NOT intend. Now, there's plenty of horde to keep people from triggering an event and then just rushing their way through a short level untouched because the AI director is spawning zombies behind them.

-Uncommon infected. It's a nice touch to have common horde who can prove just as annoying/challenging as the special. Ever had a riot cop curb-stomping you while you're down and your buddies can't make it to you to revive you? Man, that's a bitch right there.

-Melee being unbalanced. Originally, the melee in the first game was a force to be reckoned with. Obviously they toned this down once people figure out the weapon-switch exploit (which I miss, haha) and then they went further when a single zombie would stop you dead in your tracks. Not to mention that common infected would take 5-6 blows to die. Now one hit, one (or several!) kills. Seems fair.

-Inventory choices. You now have to make a decision on what you're going to carry to have better personal odds, as well as what will be more beneficial to your group. Instead of just pistols and auto-shotties, now you have to decide if it's wiser to carry dual pistols, a magnum, or a melee weapon. Is a molotov going to be more useful than a bile-bomb? Should you keep your medkit, or trade it in for the defib? Pills last longer, but maybe being fast is more important than having more health.

-Finales/triggered events. I suppose this ties into the "infected everywhere" thing. As Vivi just commented on, it seems pretty weak that people figured out they could just trigger the event and then just wait it out for a few minutes in a corner and then not have to worry about zombies for most of the rest of the level. That is especially no fun in versus.

Anyway, addressing one final thing I forgot about, it brings me back to a point I made a long time ago.

The core game was still fun, but the only thing that's really new is the characters and campaigns, which I'm not going to shell out full price of a new game for.

And that is that I don't seem to recall anybody complaining about say, Halo 2, Metroid Prime, or any other number of sequel games being a full-priced when they were released and added essentially only these things as well.

*EDIT*

Yeah, I know I was nit-picking for the most part, but every little thing combined really affects the overall experience for me. I had an open mind when I was ready to play the demo so don't think I'm here to just troll. I guess all that is accepted in this thread are mostly favorable comments, though.

I'm still going to buy the game. It's fun as hell, but it feels totally separate from the first L4D.

No no no, we know you're not trolling. And as it's been said, it's fine to not like the game (or any number of aspects about it) or even complain about the price. I think what we were all rallying about was that NJ's comments are just so far off-base about a number of things.

No no no, we know you're not trolling. And as it's been said, it's fine to not like the game (or any number of aspects about it) or even complain about the price. I think what we were all rallying about was that NJ's comments are just so far off-base about a number of things.

Agreed. I had no problem with most of Nicole's comments because they were simply about how the game felt to her and whether she liked it. You can say the controls feel too fluid or the guns feel like toys and I'm not going to argue with you since it's how you feel about them and that's totally subjective. Like BGC said though, we just had problems with some of the comments by NJ because they were totally off base. You can't say things like all of the weapons handle the same or the new infected are just slightly different variations of the old when neither is true.

I suppose the difference in attitude is coming from the difference in playstyle. You guys are talking about closetcamping or rushing or versus tactics and stuff. I never do any of those, because I don't find them to be fun, despite the fact that they're good ways to win the game. If the fixes to your "it's too easy" kill my "woo shootin' zombies!" fun, then I think that's a legitimate complaint -- even though I recognize what they're trying to do. The fact that spitters are good for breaking up cornercamping or meleestacking honestly didn't occur to me -- because I didn't do that in L4D, I didn't notice that I couldn't in L4D2. The fact that I'm looking for something different in L4D2 than what you're looking for in L4D2 doesn't make me "wrong" -- it just means we have different opinions.

About weapons and infected being the same -- I didn't mean identical, I just meant that they're close enough as to make no real difference. The hunter/charger pins you in place, the smoker/jockey pulls you away from the group, and the boomer/spitter pukes crap at you that you have to avoid or take damage (and sprays the same crap when you kill it). The weapons have minor differences in accuracy, firepower, and ammo capacity, but ultimately a shotgun is still a shotgun and an assault rifle is still an assault rifle. I'd much rather have something actually new than variations on the old theme.

I won't say that everything added was a rehash, though. The adrenaline shot was neat -- it offers an interesting counterpart to the pain pills. I haven't had an opportunity to use the defibrillator in the demo yet, but I can see where it would be nice as well (though generally I think the health kit would be a better choice). The "gauntlet" crescendo event in the form of the "get to the tower to turn off the alarm" bit was also a neat change up from the original formula. The jukebox in the demo also started playing Jonathan Coulton's "Re: Your Brains" during one play through, which legitimately amused the crap out of me.

Anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion of the demo. I'm not trolling and I'm not making shit up just to piss you off; everything I've said here I honestly believe. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, but do me the favor of not insulting me for disagreeing with you. If negative opinions aren't allowed or this thread is "L4D2 fans only" or something, I'll totally leave you alone and you can go back to having your discussion without the distraction of dissenting opinions.

Ya'll can suck it for the console hate, though. I've been enjoying the demo more on my 360 than I have been on Steam.

I suppose the difference in attitude is coming from the difference in playstyle. You guys are talking about closetcamping or rushing or versus tactics and stuff. I never do any of those, because I don't find them to be fun, despite the fact that they're good ways to win the game. If the fixes to your "it's too easy" kill my "woo shootin' zombies!" fun, then I think that's a legitimate complaint -- even though I recognize what they're trying to do.

Fair enough, although I can't believe that you never hopped into a corner or closet/small room ever in L4D1. I mean, seriously, do you just stand in the hallway when you call the elevator in No Mercy hospital? Or stand in the middle of the street when you moved the forklift in Death Toll? Surely at some point you and your team retreated to an area that provided cover and funneled the infected where they'd be easier to defend against.

About weapons and infected being the same -- I didn't mean identical, I just meant that they're close enough as to make no real difference. The hunter/charger pins you in place, the smoker/jockey pulls you away from the group, and the boomer/spitter pukes crap at you that you have to avoid or take damage (and sprays the same crap when you kill it). The weapons have minor differences in accuracy, firepower, and ammo capacity, but ultimately a shotgun is still a shotgun and an assault rifle is still an assault rifle. I'd much rather have something actually new than variations on the old theme.

Well, remember, there is going to be a chainsaw and a GL launcher. But otherwise, in the spirit/theme of the game, I can't imagine there's a whole lot more weapons they can add. Perhaps a rocket launcher of some sort (though the GL is probably close enough) and maybe a flame-thrower might be cool, although it'd be a pretty cheap weapon to use based on how most of the horde handles fire. Otherwise, I mean, I'm no firearms expert, but aside from pistol, shotty, autorifle, burst rifle, sniper rifle, and explosive, how many new types of guns could they add? I mean, technically, all guns are point and shoot bullet and therefor just variations of each other if you want to split hairs. I feel like the handling is reasonably diverse for the new tier 2 additions. But that's just me. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I'm just not sure what else there is to add that would be drastically new and innovative enough to satisfy what it is you're looking for.

I won't say that everything added was a rehash, though. The adrenaline shot was neat -- it offers an interesting counterpart to the pain pills. I haven't had an opportunity to use the defibrillator in the demo yet, but I can see where it would be nice as well (though generally I think the health kit would be a better choice). The "gauntlet" crescendo event in the form of the "get to the tower to turn off the alarm" bit was also a neat change up from the original formula. The jukebox in the demo also started playing Jonathan Coulton's "Re: Your Brains" during one play through, which legitimately amused the crap out of me.

Well alright then. We were afraid you weren't recognizing any of the new features there for a sec :P

Anyway, I just wanted to express my opinion of the demo. I'm not trolling and I'm not making shit up just to piss you off; everything I've said here I honestly believe. I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, but do me the favor of not insulting me for disagreeing with you. If negative opinions aren't allowed or this thread is "L4D2 fans only" or something, I'll totally leave you alone and you can go back to having your discussion without the distraction of dissenting opinions.

Again man, it has less to do with different opinions and more to do with incorrect analysis. There's a difference in saying "I didn't like the way the weapons handle" or something and "The weapons all feel the same". You came right out and said stuff like "The hunter and the charger are basically the same zombie" because that makes about as much sense as saying that a smart car is basically the same as a corvette. They move and attack completely differently. The fact that both have the ability to pin a single survivor is something they can both do, but the hunter can't split up groups or knock people off a ledge or charge through a group and then run away. How are you missing that?

As I've said numerous times already in this thread, none of us L4D fanboys are going to give a sideways crap if you or anyone doesn't care for the game or any other various aspects of it. It's the poor analysis and incorrect claims that spark the "WTF" reactions in us. If you're not sure what the difference is between not liking something and misjudging it is, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Carry on.

Just played the demo for 45 minutes on my 360 (can't play it on my computer, and I wouldn't want to if I could). And, well, I'm mixed, just like a lot of people.

Likes: Melee weapons. Well, actually, I'm just talking about the Machete. Holy crap, I was in my glory when first got my hands on it! Forget the other ones, they seemed much more useless to me! Chopping off an infected's head, seeing the blood from his neck spurt out like a geyser? Priceless! The Magnum was quite lovely. I'm willing to trade in double pistols and 30 ammo for it's awesome damage and range. Really glad to see different infected, I was getting very tired of using a hunter 6 times in a row during versus play. I also love the extra amount of variety like Adrenaline, Defribrilators, different types of rifles, ammo, and so on. Variety is the spice of life, am I right?

Dislikes: Where is the grit? Where is the serious tone? Where is that sense of being overwhelmed and overcome with despair/hopelessness? The inclusion of daylight probably has something to do with it. It just doesn't feel right to be taking down zombies without moonlight. The flashlight is much less useful, now. The music has gotten a makeover (or should I say remix?), and it just doesn't do it for me. Everything feels somewhat more cartoony; a tiny bit less scary, and a little more silly. And obviously, these new survivors lack character. Ellis seems like the only entertaining one of the bunch, and he doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Francis or Bill.

You know, it's just a demo, so we'll see how it goes. Stupid as this might sound, the auto-shottie earned 50% of my love and respect for L4D1, so I'm waiting to see how the 12-Gauge compares in L4D2. And may God have mercy on Valve if it's any less useful.

I've heard that Black Friday is going to drop ODST's and L4D2's prices down to $40. Can anyone confirm, and tell me how long this deal lasts? I probably won't buy L4D2 for full price, so this is all I can hope for.

I can confirm it for K-Mart at least. I get notified whenever a retailer puts up a black Friday ad. I don't remember ODST being on the list, but L4D2 was.

I also agree about the "grit and serious" tone. L4D2 is fun don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have that same sharp edge to it that the first one had, but we only got to play 2 chapters of one campaign so who knows? I just hope it's there.

The weapons are dramatically different(except for the carryovers) from eachother. There are plenty of differences in range, accuracy, spread, piercing, (stopping)power, reload time, firing rate and clip sizes. Like someone mentioned before, the AK is pretty damned powerful, but has shit accuracy. You're more likely to hit your targets in small bursts or single shots, but the new assault rifle? It's on. 3-burst shot, relatively accurate, awesome range, etc. The M16 is still the standard high tier goodness, but those two outclass it in different categories. We now have a full team of sniper rifle whores thanks to the new(awesome) semi-auto with a 30 round clip size. Holy crap if I didn't love this gun.

Dislikes: Where is the grit? Where is the serious tone? Where is that sense of being overwhelmed and overcome with despair/hopelessness? The inclusion of daylight probably has something to do with it. It just doesn't feel right to be taking down zombies without moonlight. The flashlight is much less useful, now. The music has gotten a makeover (or should I say remix?), and it just doesn't do it for me. Everything feels somewhat more cartoony; a tiny bit less scary, and a little more silly. And obviously, these new survivors lack character. Ellis seems like the only entertaining one of the bunch, and he doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Francis or Bill.

Yes, this is my biggest complaint. I don't know why the franchise had to go through such a makeover. L4D2 feels totally separate from the L4D1 universe.

I think this "L4D2 isn't scary enough vibe" is coming from two places:

1. We've all already played L4D. Many of us have played the crap out of it. First time playing L4D, it was scary. You had no idea what was coming. But after playing it and playing it, that feeling faded. You find yourself charging through the levels, barely batting an eye when a Hunter pounces on a teammate. The Witch, which was probably the creepiest thing the first game had to offer, is little more than a mild inconvenience after having slaughtered her so many times.

I think some of that is carrying over to L4D2. Of course you're not going to have the same feeling of dread you did the first time you played L4D, because it's all very familiar.

2. However, I can't deny that there has been a stylistic change. The focus is slightly less survival horror and slightly more..."fuck yeah let's kill these muthafuckin zombies woooo". Just take a look at the intro movie and compare it to L4D's and this is pretty clear. Fighting in the daylight contributes to this a lot, and I am looking forward to fighting at night again in the other campaigns.

Still, though, I don't think a lot of you are considering #1 as much as you should.

1. We've all already played L4D. Many of us have played the crap out of it. First time playing L4D, it was scary. You had no idea what was coming. But after playing it and playing it, that feeling faded. You find yourself charging through the levels, barely batting an eye when a Hunter pounces on a teammate. The Witch, which was probably the creepiest thing the first game had to offer, is little more than a mild inconvenience after having slaughtered her so many times.

I think some of that is carrying over to L4D2. Of course you're not going to have the same feeling of dread you did the first time you played L4D, because it's all very familiar.

2. However, I can't deny that there has been a stylistic change. The focus is slightly less survival horror and slightly more..."fuck yeah let's kill these muthafuckin zombies woooo". Just take a look at the intro movie and compare it to L4D's and this is pretty clear. Fighting in the daylight contributes to this a lot, and I am looking forward to fighting at night again in the other campaigns.

Still, though, I don't think a lot of you are considering #1 as much as you should.

I really think a large part of this is the music, as BGC said earlier. The witch music in L4D1 was creepy as hell. Not so much in L4D2. Similarly, the "horde is coming" theme was subtle in the original -- in L4D2 it's this crazy loud New Orleans cover version that just sounds silly. Hopefully the music reverts to more moody again as night approaches...

Yes, this is my biggest complaint. I don't know why the franchise had to go through such a makeover. L4D2 feels totally separate from the L4D1 universe.

Aight, see stuff like this I don't mind one bit, and I can even understand and relate to where you're coming from. It's not making outrageous claims saying stuff like "Oh, this and this are essentially the same" like comparing a watermelon to an apple because they're both fruit.

I can totally dig on that. My personal response has already pretty much been given with:

Yep. The very first time I played L4D, man I got the chills/shakes/whatever you wanna call 'em. It was INTENSE. I mean, I was totally submerged in the game's vibe and experience. When I started hearing the witch music, I'd often just freeze thinking she was like right around the corner and going to do horrible horrible things to me if I accidentally disturbed her.

A month later: I'd learned it wasn't so bad, even if she did jump on me, my teammates would likely kill her and pick me back up. And if I died, eh, I'd be in a closet somewhere in a couple minutes.

A month later I'd learned how to crown the witch by now, so the music didn't even phase me. I'd stopped being scared/shaken up by the sound or sight of her and it was more a race to run and show my noob teammates that BGC was a witch assassin.

Same thing goes for all the infected really, I learned how to clean kill boomers and dead-stop hunters and break the tongue of smokers, and at that point, versus mode became the lasting game for me because it was harder to compete against infected who were actively working together to stop you from reaching a goal. I wasn't really playing it for the scare value anymore.

Anyway, that doesn't render your disappointment null or anything, I think that's probably just the psychology behind our feelings. And I think the guys at Valve probably figured that the multi-player is what's ultimately going to keep this game in the popular loop, so they made it more about the challenge of chopping, hacking, punching and shooting your way through an army of zombies to reach your goal than about being scared out of your wits like a traditional survival/horror game (R.E., Silent Hill, FEAR, etc). So pretty much

The focus is slightly less survival horror and slightly more..."fuck yeah let's kill these muthafuckin zombies woooo". Just take a look at the intro movie and compare it to L4D's and this is pretty clear.

And I guess that's why I actually found myself enjoying the daytime level, it's a nice change up. I'm sure looking forward to the darker levels though, absolutely. And I still do miss the old music, and absolutely the old characters. I don't think anyone who ever played L4D can deny that they were instantly lovable and endearing from literally the first video we saw them in. (And if you do, then you're a hopeless douche and will probably die alone and unloved ;-))

So um, yeah. Finally, some good discussion!