Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

You mean...

Brushfire: "Can I leave early?"

Brushfire's Boss: "Why?"

Brushfire: "There's this new game that's coming out tonight, and..."

Brushfire's Boss: "Sure, go ahead."

Best boss ever.

That isn't far off as to what the actual conversation was.

*Left4Dead2 TV Spot comes on during the Ravens Game.*

Brushfire: "Oh shit, I forgot that that game comes out tonight."

Brushfire's Boss: "Oh yeah?"

Brushfire: "Yeah, mind if we split tonights shift tonight?"

Brushfire's Boss: "What for?"

Brushfire: "..."

Brushfire: "...So I can go play L4D2"

Brushfire's Boss: "Enh, what the hell, nothing is happening tonight."

Brushfire: "Bitchin'!!"

Brushfire's Boss: "Yeah just take off at 0330. I'll cover for you when the dayshift comes in."

Brushfire: "Wanna watch some Penn and Teller?"

Ok so as I said, I ended up getting this game despite how much I absolutely HATED L4D and I've gotta say, I'm really like this a lot. It's really just a lot of little things, such as a lot of the dialog between the characters, that has really pulled me into it. For the past 5 hours or so, I've been playing through each of the single player campaigns on normal (because I'm terrible), and I expected to be bored by the beginning of the second one like with L4D, but instead I've played all the way through the first 3, and am starting the fourth one now. I really like how there's finally continuity between all the campaigns, as it really gives me a reason to keep on playing. I'm not gonna go ahead right now and talk about the various things I liked in each of the campaigns since a lot of the little surprises are what's making this first playthrough a lot of fun. The second campaign was definitely my favorite of the first 3, and playing it in VS will be a ton of fun. It took valve a year but they finally got this game right.

Oh and I said this in IRC but yeah any shotgun+chainsaw is pretty much exactly like playing pyro in TF2 which I thought was rather comical.

That isn't far off as to what the actual conversation was.

*Left4Dead2 TV Spot comes on during the Ravens Game.*

Brushfire: "Oh shit, I forgot that that game comes out tonight."

Brushfire's Boss: "Oh yeah?"

Brushfire: "Yeah, mind if we split tonights shift tonight?"

Brushfire's Boss: "What for?"

Brushfire: "...So I can go play L4D2"

Brushfire's Boss: "Enh, what the hell, nothing is happening tonight."

Brushfire: "Bitchin'!!"

Brushfire's Boss: "Yeah just take off at 0330. I'll cover for you when the dayshift comes in."

Brushfire: "Wanna watch some Penn and Teller?"

Okay, Brushfire. Seriously, get me a job where you work. Right now. I don't care if I'm going to be working nights, your boss just sounds too cool.

I'll hopefully have some time to play tonight, but only as a reward to myself for finishing editing the goddamn OCAD podcast. Time-management only works when you have enough TIME!

Edit:

It took valve a year but they finally got this game right.
You know, this is probably the fastest Valve had this kind of turnaround and progress on any game, considering how long it takes them to do any of the HL games, or things like TF2. That's what had a lot of people in a tizzy over it: they were getting worried Valve would sacrifice quality for sake of "cashing in" on a hot new property by only pushing out a minor update and charging full-price. Glad to see this is far from the case. They fixed a lot of things naturally missing from the first, apparently, even though I loved the first. I know it was kinda off-relevance from your post, but it just made me think.

Attempted a solo runthrough of the first campaign on Advanced. It's HARD AS BALLS, especially the (what I assume is the final) crescendo event where you need to collect the eight gas cans. The first tank was doable, the second tank spawned along with his buddies Boomer, Jockey and Hunter, and that's where I said screw it. Can't wait to get some multiplayer going.

It's really hard to get time off to play a video game when you work at a video game store.

Me: Yeah I need the 17th off. All day.

Boss: Nope, I need you for Assassin's Creed 2, L4D2, Tony Hawk Ride, NCAA Basketball 2010, LEGO Indiana Jones 2, God of War collection, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, the Sims 3 expansion, another Naruto game, The Princess and the Frog, some other new crap, oh and we're still selling Modern Warfare 2 and New Super Mario Bros out of our nose, so no.

Me: Dammit.

Boss: Actually, I need you to come in an hour early or so. Also, you'll probably have to stay late, too.

Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

It's really hard to get time off to play a video game when you work at a video game store.

Me: Yeah I need the 17th off. All day.

Boss: Nope, I need you for Assassin's Creed 2, L4D2, Tony Hawk Ride, NCAA Basketball 2010, LEGO Indiana Jones 2, God of War collection, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, the Sims 3 expansion, another Naruto game, The Princess and the Frog, some other new crap, oh and we're still selling Modern Warfare 2 and New Super Mario Bros out of our nose, so no.

Me: Dammit.

Boss: Actually, I need you to come in an hour early or so. Also, you'll probably have to stay late, too.

Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So glad I don't work at GameStop anymore.

Maybe I'll push off editing for one more night just so I can have a taste of this. I'll be getting home around 5:30ish tonight, who's down?

Okay so I played through Dead Center and thought it was pretty damn well designed (section with the burning building was sweet), definitely better than all the L4D campaigns. Of course, then I played Dark Carnival...holy shit, Valve, you've done it again.

Yeah, that burning hotel (first level of first campaign) was amazing. That charger made me laugh a ton.

Also, the finale with the gas cans does indeed suck some serious balls -- I wasn't able to finish it on Advanced. Hopefully tonight (when all of you lame employed people get home).

Attempted a solo runthrough of the first campaign on Advanced. It's HARD AS BALLS, especially the (what I assume is the final) crescendo event where you need to collect the eight gas cans. The first tank was doable, the second tank spawned along with his buddies Boomer, Jockey and Hunter, and that's where I said screw it. Can't wait to get some multiplayer going.

I've played through the first four campaigns today on Normal and I feel pretty confident saying that the AI is actually dumber than in the first game. It's not just that they don't know how to handle the new special infected characters or the gauntlet crescendo events (they suck balls at either), but they even do stupid things like two characters ignoring the Hunter that just pounced on me because Ellis has gone down five feet away, or not grabbing health packs in the safe house at the start of the level because apparently not grabbing them is more useful (who knew?). Now, I've seen the AI do stupid things plenty of times in L4D, but never this often or consistently.

That said, I shot a zombie in the balls with the magnum an hour ago, making a hole the size of my head that his intestines promptly escaped from. I fucking love this game.

I got to play about 25 minutes of it before I went to work today. I went through The Parish on advanced, and got to the cemetary level, where I was finally gang raped at the car alarm setion. The AI in advanced is definitely harder than the first game. But if anyone is on tonight, I'll be on to play some.

Looking at my friends list at various times during today (oh look someone else just started playing it... Edgecrusher to be precise)

Am I like the only (Okay now Baha is playing it) person here who probably isn't going to be getting L4D2? lol

I had some interest in it at first and then I realised how lacklustre my enthusiasm is for the first one and decided against it.

Yeah, the game fucking rocks.

I'm having tons more fun in versus than in L4D, though I am thinking the spitter is a little crazy. It should be harder to aim the spit or something, because right now she's far and away the best infected excepting the tank.

Yeah, the game fucking rocks.

I'm having tons more fun in versus than in L4D, though I am thinking the spitter is a little crazy. It should be harder to aim the spit or something, because right now she's far and away the best infected excepting the tank.

In other words, she's the exact opposite of the Boomer?

(Actually, I'm better at Boomer than Hunter, so I can't say anything.)

L4D2 is a fantastic upgrade over the first. Good level design from what I've seen so far. Good characters. And adding 3 more infected completely changes versus. Before you had to follow a very strict protocol: Boomer causes chaos, and in the chaos 2 hunters pounce, a smoker pulls, and hopefully zombies overwhelm the third. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Here? You can spread their forces with the spitter, bring em together with a boomer, break em apart with the charger, take one down with a hunter, peel one off with a smoker, and move one to danger with the jockey. It's a wholllle new game on versus. Lots and lots of fun.