OCRA-0014 - Final Fantasy IV: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption

Are you all retarded, or did you just not read my post properly?

Are the two mutually exclusive? I for one, am completely retarded, and I take BUNNYS offense to that.

"Why should you want to know?

Why are you obsessed with fighting

Times and fates you can't defy?

If you knew the path we're riding,

You'd understand it less than I."

Well I know I might take shit for this (I promise I'll act surprised though), but while the words in your review were fairly well arranged, I have to say you're no Tim Rice. You have some gem posts there but I will not mention them for fear of crotch rot. Your posts as a whole though, they just don't match the mood that follows. Great work though I hope you didn't find this inflammatory what-so-ever because it would certainly be an overreaction on your part.

Now who wants to re-enacts Cats?! I get to be Mr. Mistoffelees!

...man I'm sleep deprived...weeee

Are the two mutually exclusive? I for one, am completely retarded, and I take BUNNYS offense to that.

[Why should you want to know?

Why are you obsessed with fighting

Times and fates you can't defy?

If you knew the path we're riding,

You'd understand it less than I.]

I don't even get that D:

It's Jesus @#$!ing H. Supercats! You didn't know? hmm.....mmmmmmMMMMMEEEMMORRIIIEEEESS! *rwar*!

(my wife is forcing me to bed for fear of hurting myself, l8rs!)

I meant I didn't understand the context you used it in. That's Jesus' second verse from "What's the Buzz".

I did not say that I came here expecting rehashed songs. I merely stated that remixes did not sit well with me. I never once stated that I wasn't going to give it a try, or expect otherwise.

I guess I misread your post, but you originally stated that you were dissapointed that we as an album added our own interpretation to many of the songs. I took that as you not liking that they were arranged. If you could, could you explain what you were hoping for? Honestly I am confused. You seem to have clarified now that the mixes didn't work for you, and that's fine, but your original statement, to me at least, was misleading.

I reviewed it as an album. I don't have time to sit around and point out my problem with every single song.

You took the time to register for the site and leave a comment, and then say that you don't have time to elaborate. I know I would appreciate in the future if you were to wait until you did have the time to elaborate before making a scathing post. First, it allows you to absorb the album a little more, secondly, if gives you more time to formulate your thoughts and provide the elaborations that we'd like to hear. Saying you don't like the album is fine, but it would be ten times better to backup your reasoning, and it would provide us the opportunity to improve based on yours (and other) opinions.

Was this supposed to back me up, argue against me, or was it a a piece of information?

My quote from the site was to explain to you why it(OCReMix) was called as it was. You ask if it's an argument or a piece of information: It's both. Thing is, if you'd done your research before posting, you would have figured out that the site is an arrangement site, not a 'remix' site as you originally were thinking. Check out the 'About' or even listen to some of the posted songs (not part of the project). It wouldn't take you long to have gathered that it wasn't just a cover site. As for the information part, you said something along the lines of "Why is it called a remix?", so I showed you.

It's usually a good idea to read posts. For the record, the title of the album says "Arrange" in it. For the last time, I did not say I wanted straight covers. Nor did I have much clue what I was in for when I downloaded the album.

Kinda stated this as before, but I honestly thought that's what you were hoping for.

However, there is a point to be made that many people who have downloaded this album might not know a lick about "OCReMix" and therefore don't understand the community. While this doesn't excuse them from taking the time to figure it out and get informed, I can now see where a lot of these comments are coming from in terms of "It doesn't sound like blah blah blah."

Good job on making yourself look like a douchebag by putting words in my mouth.

This is the sort of "int3rn3t dr4mu" I'm going to avoid, no comment about this one.

Why is it that if someone comes on here and leaves a comment that isn't 100% positive about the compilation, they're attacked from all angles? It's garbage. Those of us that didn't particularly care for it as a whole are just as entitled to our opinions as the rest of you are. Nobody attacked any of the composers that I saw, yet we get accused of not being able to appreciate art and are basically told to leave the site. I think both strong opinions against the album (Wander and myself) were posted in a very diplomatic way. If you don't like something, you don't like something, end of story, and according to the homepage, this is the place to post about it.

And by the way, to the ass that joined up just to comment on my post, this is for you: Have you ever bought something or been given something that you were looking forward to and after you got it, it didn't quite meet your expectations? That's what happened here with myself and at least one other, so don't you dare insult our taste or our opinions. We're capable of appreciating art and creativity as much as you are, we just didn't like this work as a whole. Now go stick your head back in the sand.

Tostilism, In response to your disappointment, sure, that's fine. Happens all the time. Hell, that's part of life. The difference here between you and me? You got disappointed and told someone that they interpreted a piece of music and created art based on that interpretation incorrectly because it didn't please YOU. You have NO idea how much that pisses me off as someone who has performed music in the past. The key word is 'interpreted', as in 'filtered through your personal experiences'.

By saying, and I quote directly "*The Chocobo rap song...wow. You're doing it wrong. I couldn't even make it through that disrespectful piece.", you are not only ignoring that someone not only has personal experience different from your own, but are implying that they are not allowed to use that experience as their own filter in a project that you had no creative control over.

Really, think about that for a bit. I hope you come to realize exactly how insulting that can be to an artist.

You stated later that you have a dislike of rap music, which is also OK, but please try to see the difference between stating a dislike of something and laying out that kind of insult.

d

And as a post script - Why you two were come down so hard upon wasn't that you stated you disliked something . . . but it WAS the manner in which it was stated.

Last edit - I do apologize if I came on like I was trying to attack . . . That wasn't my intent. I admit I got a bit pissed, and I have explained why above. So, if I was in the wrong, mea culpa.

Well many of the tracks have similar motifs throughout, so when we as arrangers sculpt and define a new arrangement we are sure to make some tracks sound like others. It's really the OST itself that's very similar. Read somewhere this was Nobou's intention.

For example bunch of people picked out a Red Wings reference in my track; but it was actually just my rearrangement of the "Cecil Becomes a Paladin" source; or better known as the beginning of the Cry in Sorrow source tune.

Tis all good; at the least the main motif in the OST is fuckin AWESOME! :)

To Kyle's credit, Main Theme and (to a lesser extent) Prelude were used in a lot of tracks in the album. Just an oversight on our part, I think.

I personally think we are all very very very very heavily retarded and are all typing to you on the weaver bus! :-D

Hey did you like my song, I just wanna know, what did you think about it.

To me it has the source all over it but some people say it is too liberal for them. So what do you think, hello....hello

For example bunch of people picked out a Red Wings reference in my track; but it was actually just my rearrangement of the "Cecil Becomes a Paladin" source; or better known as the beginning of the Cry in Sorrow source tune.

Bunch of people is stupid, that's why. And - though I should quit doing this and just start work on a track-by-track - using that six-second source intro to start breakdowns highlighted it, added a fitting mournful touch, and made for great transitions. Those two references made the song for me.

Wait... no, they're right. The Red Wings are emo? I didn't want to make that connection!

fabul is in there for sure.

Bunch of K.B. is stupid. How did I not hear that before?!? Ugh, shame.

To me it has the source all over it but some people say it is too liberal for them. So what do you think, hello....hello

Hi! Hi! (this works in Nipponese too)

Too liberal? That's either completely subjective or, for submission standards, a matter for the almighty LT to decree. I heard the source (and the prelude, duh), and I think you covered it completely and kept on it (or them) for most of the song. Your interpretation was additive, not selective of or divergent from the source. So no, in no way do I think this was too liberal. It was also pretty darned cool.

lol. some of the negative reviews are odd. and i think they've already been addressed MOVING ON

k. so ... i've been playing ffiv again right? And that one sorrow song brought tears to my eyes a few times. Whenever something depressing happens in the story. piano. arpeggios going on. it's like the main theme all down-tempo and stuff. yeah.

So rozovian makes a remix of it right? yeah. it's pretty enthralling stuff. you'd think that repeating arpeggio thing would get annoying considering how slow the rest of the work is, especially in the beginning, but it doesn't. it slaps you into a vibe. a vibe I like. And i'm going to capitalize this review a little ofF. Very nice stuff from rozo. What does lacrima mine? it means tear in latin. i looked it up. i think its a fitting title.

oh yeah. and that one guy. Audix. I would play your battle theme during the real battles in game... because it's just that awesome. i've heard talk of it sticking to structures. but the only thing it's sticking to is my mind. and maybe my ear(s). it's possible my earwax is playing it. and i might not be the only one suffering a case of your-song-being-stuck-in-my-head-and-or-ears syndrome. Survival Instinct is sexy. especially that transition into battle 2. s-e-x-y.

cyril. man. thank you. metal mage was trippy and fun, and rydia's theme was emotive. the words aren't coming, so trust that i am doing some sort of interpretive dance right now in front of my webcam-less computer to explain how i feel about these pieces of art. they're not leaving the party in my mind. or my phone.

if only mysidia were present. that was one hell of a strange place. hopefully i'll provide more non-drunk semi-drunk criticisms in the near future. this has been fun to write. and this album has been fun to listen to.

thanks. to everyone involved.

Tracks I enjoyed the most, in no particular order!

Survival Instinct

Smooth Sun of Magma

Long Time Gone

Goodbye Cid...

Fallen Dragoon

Kinda Green

Read the Sine

Mystic Variations

Path of Deception

I'll be listening to these! Congrats on the album release and all the hard work, guys.

Also, I had a good laugh at Rhymes With Elixer. All in good fun.

icon_eyyy.gif

k. so ... i've been playing ffiv again right? And that one sorrow song brought tears to my eyes a few times. Whenever something depressing happens in the story. piano. arpeggios going on. it's like the main theme all down-tempo and stuff. yeah.

So rozovian makes a remix of it right? yeah. it's pretty enthralling stuff. you'd think that repeating arpeggio thing would get annoying considering how slow the rest of the work is, especially in the beginning, but it doesn't. it slaps you into a vibe. a vibe I like. And i'm going to capitalize this review a little ofF. Very nice stuff from rozo. What does lacrima mine? it means tear in latin. i looked it up. i think its a fitting title.

Glad you liked it. I was almost shocked when I saw I had extended a short and repetitive source to 5 minutes, yet people like it. btw, I was also considering naming the track 'tear' in Finnish, OA felt Latin would fit the project better. Just as well, as it fits the project, and not many would correctly guess how to pronounce "kyynel". :D

For anyone interested, I've spent a few bored moments writing some quick thoughts about the tracks, two discs done so far, probably gonna do the third later today.

SoulinEther: THANKS! I'm glad you liked those two tracks. :D

Roz: Haha, you hit OMFG! Get out of there! Right on the head, I did reference the space pirate music, because of the frantic nature of the theme and becuase... I wanted to extend it. I mean c'mon I had like 11 seconds of source to work with. Not a bad "Run" I'd say. ;-)

Ugh, this track-by-track review business is tough to do right. I have disk one finished (oh... yay... another disk one review...), and I was all set to post it. Then I realized how massive my post would have been, so I signed up at wordpress (that's right, I got a blog just so I could review this album), and dumped it on their truck.

I don't know theory and I don't know remixing, but I have nice things to say! If you care to read, visit http://kbocr.wordpress.com/