I Haven't Played a Good RTS Game In Forever

atmuh

i've played total annihilation and total annihilation kingdoms as my first RTS's. TA is totally customizable (and its awesome soundtrack is in regular CD audio format) with tons of new units, unit packs, total conversions, etc available. TA:K isn't nearly as customizable (or at least, it doesn't have as big of a fan base) but I personally preferred it for its setting (swords and magic as opposed to guns and nukes - note: TA doesn't have any hand to hand combat units)

The game that got me into the RTS genre was Age of Empires: Rise of the Romans, and then it was Starcraft. I've yet to find an RTS that matches those series. But when you take Starcraft away,

go for Age of Empires II. That game is amazing and playing it with friends is something that can't be matched.

My brother really enjoys the WarHammer games...

Can't really get better than Age of Empires II if you take StarCraft out of the mix. Though I remember Rise of Nations being pretty fun back in the old days too, and there's Age of Mythology if that's your thing.

Star Wars: Empire at War was pretty fun if you only did Space battles. The ground battles were boring as hell, though.