OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"

djpretzel

zircon + unknown, a combination I would have never guessed but have been thanking the Gods for since I first got this song from the WIP forums. Zircon is one of my favorite electronic musicians and Unknown one of my favorite orchestral musicians. Nuff said.

Seems like you two will do more collabs in the future, and that is something I am very eagerly awaiting.

darn you don-don.

Hot off the press, we have yet another CT mix. You know it's gotta be good right from there for another CT mix to get past the judges. plus it is a collab of two artists I respect; it should be good.

Nice orchestral, everything flows, and the music box style is semi-creepy but mixes well with the orchestra.

We are at 2 minutes, and here comes the electronic portion. Amazing.

The rest of the piece just folds in and out of itself re-applying past styles than mixing them together into one beautiful mesh.

Everytime the electro comes back in, I am amazed at how much I love the hybrid of the piece without it catching my ears as an awkward piece.

6 min - enjoyable all the way through. OC is really pumpin out good stuff lately.

Ok, maybe it's just me, but I thought the beginning minute or so sounded like a creepy child's lullaby. However the techno blaze that follows it is amazing. The flow of the different techniques is kept fresh by a subtle steady beat. I had trouble recognizing this as a CT mix, but that doesn't mean anything; very god job on the colab guys.

I've been listening again. This is amazing. I think I have a new list-topper.

Congrats zircon and "unknown"

Edit: I just found out what it reminds me of. It sounds like something out of edward scissorhands! (the first 2 minutes anyway.) Those slurring choir sounds are wonderful.

Well done guys, seriously.

Edit2: Karl just pointed out to me that djp already pointed out the resemblance to Edward Scissorhands in his review. That'll teach me to not read djp's reviews first.

Ho-ly shit. You've got to be kidding me.

This mix literally sent a chill up my spine when I heard it the first time. I was shivering my ass off and I was sitting in front of a space heater. I have absolutely no qualms with this mix whatsoever and it's definitely my favorite Chrono Trigger mix yet. Fantastic job.

This mix literally sent a chill up my spine when I heard it the first time.

Same here. Very nice creepy orchestral, reminded me of Elfman or some of the tracks in Fable. The only tiny complaint I have about the electronica section is that some of the slides in the melodic line around 2:42 sound a bit odd and may have been better left played straight. Excellent transitions, very fluid mix.

hi hi

i have to say that i'm biased. the day the world revived was my favorite snes tune ever and it's melody still haunts me to this day.

that being said, i think this piece did a great job of being both original and as awesome as the original. while it doesnt have quite the same bittersweet feeling, it fights back with it's own intensity.

-karl

Just so you know, I didn't use any soundfonts. Designed the synths myself using 3xosc, Reaktor, and Pro-53. I realize the elements that I used were a little on the generic side - I can't really argue that they weren't - but Ty had wanted portamento effects which could only be done with 3xosc, so I had to go with that for most of the leads and such. If I could do it again, I would have prepared my parts better, since I've learned quite a bit since I've made this, but Ty and I were both happy with the way it fit in with his part, so we stuck with it.

Anyway, really glad you guys enjoyed it! It's really kind of funny how Ty and I started this one. We both were remixing this, with him doing a pure-electronic version, and me doing an electronic/orchestral hybrid. He was actually going to give up on his version, until I suggested he continue. From there, we just decided to collab and see where it went. I know our interpretation is more dramatic and epic in scope than haunting and melodic like the original, but I really think this style worked and I'm hoping you guys think so too.

I'm very impressed with this. You took a highly ignored track and basically created two excellent remixes of it, which you then fused together quite smoothly into a consistently masterful single arrangement which was never repetitive or boring, despite it's length. Amazing job, both of you. I'd really like to see you guys collaborate again.

Techo/orchestral mixes always make for an interesting combination, though it's not always quite pulled off. One Winged Techno and Big Shell West Bristol are two of my favourites that did a pretty decent job of combining the power of an orchestra with electronic stylings, and this one is up there now as well.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"