Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom

StarZander

I guess we shoulda seen this coming. The guy has done nothing but criticize the Japanese gaming market and laud western developers for months. And he said he hated his job. And, as the article states, his Roll-Zero combo character (Zeroll?) got dead last in the design contest.

EDIT: Wait, that colour-schemeless, lolicon, super-generic umbrella-head won the contest?

WORLD YOU HAVE NO TASTE. FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE.

Maybe he will go on to create a new and awesome competing studio - like Hironobu Sakaguchi did.

EDIT: Wait, that colour-schemeless, lolicon, super-generic umbrella-head won the contest?

WORLD YOU HAVE NO TASTE. FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE.

Truthfully, did you like any of the designs? Inafune's at least looked like it belonged in the series, even if Zeroll is kinda silly. The 8th place design (Hayato Kaji's) was probably my favorite, not for a heroine necessarily. I just think that a character wearing a Met Hat and bile green galoshes seems like it could be entertaining.

Well, everybody, it's all over. Go on home.

Seriously though, who knows how many game-defining features were preserved through the development of a game due to Inafune being on the team. Mega Man is his baby and now it's in the hands of other people(then again, I'm certain his role in their development had diminished, I'm sure he had a lot of influence). Great parallel in the aforementioned Miyamoto. How would Mario and Zelda suffer without Miyamoto upending the tea table and checking for uncharacteristic elements because he knows his own character so well?

My friend tried to ease my concern by telling me that Inafune wanted ML3 to be 'up to the fans'(as seen in the recent design contests) but him dropping such a highly anticipated project is a slap in the face. He made claims for years that he always wanted to make ML3. I doubt he meant he just wanted it greenlit by the higher-ups so he could run out the door of Capcom. * le sigh*

At the end of the day, if he 'hated his job,' then I don't blame the guy for leaving. Go do what you want, Inafune. You deserve it.

This honestly comes about as big of a shock to me as Shigeru or Eiji leaving Nintendo.

What... happened?

And most importantly.... what will happen... to Mega Man? Legends 3? The Archie comics?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I honestly wouldn't mind one of those two leaving. Shigeru has made great games, but I hate his attitude towards making 2D Mario games, which are always awesome.

Eiji's Zelda games for me just haven't been that great. I really enjoyed Wind Waker (minus the extended sailing of course).

I guess I'm just becoming frustrated with Nintendo looking like they're shifting away from the direction they were taking with the Wii, seems like they're going back to doing more gamecube like games....

:???:

I'm guessing it's because he wants to remain in a creative position rather than an administrative one, which wasn't possible while remaining at Capcom.
Yeah this guy's going to go out and start his own company for sure.

Working in a company for so long may have wore him down a bit. Plus, Inafune has been executive-producing pretty much everything at Capcom since forever.

Unfortunately, the commercial flops of both BC2009 and Dark Void must have hit his good name pretty hard.

And strangely enough, he wasn't credited in Resident Evil 5.

But considering the recent success of (Super)Street Fighter IV and Dead Rising 2, things were looking pretty bright.

Also, is it just me or the guy still looked quite happy a few months ago when he introduced Megaman Universe?

But anyway, he's proly gonna follow the exemple of his buddy Shinji Mikami and eventually end up creating new franchises with new characters and stories.

Though he'll forever be remembered as 'the father of Rockman'. :)

Working in a company for so long may have wore him down a bit. Plus, Inafune has been executive-producing pretty much everything at Capcom since forever.

But anyway, he's proly gonna follow the exemple of his buddy Shinji Mikami and eventually end up creating new franchises with new characters and stories.

Though he'll forever be remembered as 'the father of Rockman'. :)

Well if his comments to the press are any indication, I think he has the feeling that Japanese game makers are falling way behind and he really, really wanted to change things up and for whatever reason felt he couldn't do it in Capcom.

Entrenched thinking, slow corporate culture, old ways, whatever. He probably felt it was more honourable to leave and make what he wanted to make rather than to try to turn a huge ship like Capcom around.

Maybe he will go on to create a new and awesome competing studio - like Hironobu Sakaguchi did.

Truthfully, did you like any of the designs? Inafune's at least looked like it belonged in the series, even if Zeroll is kinda silly. The 8th place design (Hayato Kaji's) was probably my favorite, not for a heroine necessarily. I just think that a character wearing a Met Hat and bile green galoshes seems like it could be entertaining.

I could tolerate met hat girl, and my favourite was the black girl with the poofy aqua dress, but I would not be complaining if the girl with the native american motif won.

To be honest, I'm amazed it took this long for Inafune to leave. He's not in a position like Miyamoto, who can make whatever he wants because he's got the midas touch. Inafune very, very rarely got to branch out (Dead Rising being a notable example) and was stuck for most of his career making Megaman game after Megaman game... No wonder he feels the Japanese game market has stagnated.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. This is pretty depressing, actually - Capcom was one of the few companies that I could really rely on to make good games, but without Inafune I don't see this guarantee holding up anymore.

I haven't had a real attachment to Capcom since the whole RE5 multiplayer on disc but was DLC debacle.

With some of Inafune's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if he was forced out. Although what Inafune said what is true about lots of gaming companies in Japan, I find their attitude just as bad. "Oh people don't like our games? Screw 'em! I'll make what I want 'till we're bankrupt!" But that's for another topic entirely....