Capcom hate and why it happens

The Derrit

So I was on capcom-unity.com today and one of the admins had posted a Mega Ran song. TL;DR is Mega Ran is a rapper who raps about/over video games. The second comment afterwards was:

Stop showing us fan works in an attempt to trick us into thinking that you guys care about Mega Man. If you really cared about Mega Man, you'd be telling us about the upcoming Mega Man games you're going to make. We all know the fans love Mega Man and make cool things about Mega Man, but what we want to here is what YOU are doing, Capcom. Get your act together and make us a new Mega Man game!
and the prompt reply from someone else was:
Mavrick, seriously, shut up. They are a company, one that has franchises beyond Megaman. In fact, I'd rather it die out while people still love it rather than become the next Sonic series. In either case your comments are not helpful nor necessary.
This is also incredibly evident on the MvC3 facebook group. Whenever something is posted, a bunch of people comment on it, a bunch of people comments on "CAPCUM EVIL EMPIRE WHY U NO MEGAMAN" and everyone else tells them to shut up.

To me this is a huge scale occurance of 'Fan Dumb' (read: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb) but am I missing something? Most of it is either over Mega Man or them releasing large scale updates to games such as SF4 to SSF4, but I feel like I'm missing something. Can anyone explain this to me? I honestly don't understand what Capcom did to deserve this kind of obnoxiousness.

NOTE: This has been happening since before Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled so I know that's not the only reason.

I haven't paid much attention to Capcom the last few years. That's in part, because they just haven't put out that much that really interests me since Resident Evil 5. It's also in part because they simply refuse to continue the Darkstalkers franchise beyond the occasional minor cameo.

When they announce Darkstalkers 4 and continue the storyline they were obviously building up, then I'll pay more attention to what they do and don't do.

Hah, Mavrick. I know him. He's the whiniest Megaman "fan" ever and won't stop bitching whenever the subject is a Capcom game.

You know how we could've ensured Capcom continued to care about Megaman? By buying Megaman games, even if they were terrible. Just like how people have bought every piece of crap called "Resident Evil" or "Devil May Cry." Unfortunately, (or fortunately, perhaps) it may be that the chance to do that with Megaman has passed. But getting mad? Man, that doesn't solve a single thing.

It's not just Mega Man, either.

Ace Attorney fans are pissed because they won't localize the second Investigations title, due to 'lack of interest in the series'.

Monster Hunter fans hate them because they barely support the series in North America and have only brought over a couple of the games.

Devil May Cry fans hate them because of DmC.

MvC fans hate them because they announced Ultimate MvC3 when the original has only been out...what, five months now?

Darkstalkers fans hate them because they still won't do a Darkstalkers 4.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but they're gently poking a lot of fanbases, while stomping all over the Mega Man one.

So I was on capcom-unity.com today and one of the admins had posted a Mega Ran song. TL;DR is Mega Ran is a rapper who raps about/over video games.

MORE importantly.

The post in question was here:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/08/23/new_song_from_mega_ran_-_pump_it_up_feat._warrock

This song in question is being used, by Mega Ran, who is licensed to use Capcom's music commercially, to help fund a tour this summer with MC Chris, MC Lars, and Adam WarRock, because he's recently quit his job as a teacher to be a musician 100%.

He's a super nice guy and a super talented artists and it's really nice of Capcom to help him out by making a blog post like this to help him get donations.

capcom deserves the hate because literally every game they've made that isn't street fighter or mvc3 or mega man in the past five years has been shit

Pretty much this. Though I hate megaman.

I think it's because Capcom (and many other developers) forget that the people they actually work for are the fans. Instead, they often wind up doing whatever the hell they feel like instead of trying to give people what they want. Then they can't figure out why everyone's pissed.

UMvC3 is a prime example. Despite considerable demand from the day MvC3 was announced, we were told from the get go that there was just no way in hell Nemesis could be playable in the game and same went with Ghost Rider. Guess who's now available for UMvC3?

Oh and

Hey, you watch your mouth about Resident Evil or so help me God I will do nothing but Resident Evil remixes with your name on them.

There has not been one decent RE game since 3.

Pretty much exactly what Dexie said, along with the fact Dead Rising fans are pissed because instead of working on Dead Rising 3 (this might be a blessing with Inafune gone), they've decided to do "Dead Rising 2: + Frank West - Chuck Greene".

Shenanigans. Code Veronica was good.

yeah, because heavens forbid if they actually tried to make the gameplay more enjoyable and the plot more engaging instead of, you know, keep releasing the same game over and over again with slightly different characters. How dare they try to improve their games like that!?

yeah, because heavens forbid if they actually tried to make the gameplay more enjoyable

I may have played RE4 to death, and think it's hella fun, but it sure is not a very good survival horror game. Considering it touted itself as "the reinvention of survival horror", it's more an action game than anything else. A really great, fun action game. But not a very good Resident Evil game.

In the same way Metroid Other M was an OK game but a fucking God-awful Metroid game.

the REmake for the Gamecube is probably the best Resident Evil game, at least for me. A real refinement and perfection of the RE-formula.

and the plot more engaging

lol are you kidding? All the RE plots have been shit at best, but at least RE1-4 + CV were cheesy and stupid.

Anything past that was just retarded, and not even in a funny Resident Evil-idiotic way! RE5 was boring, and stupid.

And the fact that Capcom apparently doesn't want anything to do with Barry Burton and Rebecca, you know, the only other two STARS members that SURVIVED the other games (and fan favorites), outside of "lol DLC" is aggravating. Instead we get blond bimbo Jill, and more of OMAN LOOK AT WESKER HE'S SO BADASS WITH HIS MATRIX MOVESSSS

yeah, because heavens forbid if they actually tried to make the gameplay more enjoyable and the plot more engaging instead of, you know, keep releasing the same game over and over again with slightly different characters. How dare they try to improve their games like that!?

this is pretty much what seems to be the complaint of every stratification of capcom fan

the difference between RE4 and RE5 is the difference between Army of Darkness and The Matrix Revolutions

both sequels in an amazing series, but the latter kind of forgets what really made the original great, while the former builds on everything that was great about the original

and the thing you have to understand about the RE series is that RE4 is the only game actually worth playing in it, because it took everything that made RE1-3 good and left behind everything that made RE1-3 terrible

It isn't just Capcom. I find that there's been a problem within Japanese business culture that just so happens to be glaringly obvious in this generation of gaming. Whether it's a failure to adapt to changing markets, problems with management structures, or something relating to outside influence(like stockholders and whatnot) I can't say, but there has definitely been a drastic decrease in the level of quality that's been coming out of Japan, or maybe Western development has come such a long way that the backwardness of Japanese game development has simply become more evident. Like The Damned mentioned in the 3DS thread, the shit world economy might also have something to do with all this "fan interest" crap. Honestly, in what other generation did this ever come up? If companies had a game to put out, there was no "let's gauge fan interest". They just did it. In another era, maybe Darkstalkers 4, Mega Man Legends 3 and the Ace Attorney games would already be announced and going through localization as we speak.

That being said, I also agree with the sentiment that if Mega Man was destined to become another Sonic series, then off with its head. I'd rather have it die in a blaze of glory(debatable whether that happened or not) than be a shell of its former self(with furies). It just seems that the heart isn't there anymore, and everyone loses in that scenario. Regardless of the quality of their current titles, Capcom really has been in the business of making shit decisions lately, which is disappointing to me since Capcom used to be a company that I always associated with consistent quality, which is something I find myself unable to do with most publishers/developers lately.