Dad mods Zelda for daughter

AngelCityOutlaw

I know this is gonna start something but

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/dad-hacks-zelda-video-game-change-boy-superhero-195839715.html

Seriously? His daughter can't even read yet, and he goes through all the work of modding the damn game to read that link is a female? Clearly this guy isn't aware of all the video games featuring a female protagonist.

What do you think about this?

Well, if he's already got the know-how, I really doubt that a simple text replacement would have taken as incomprehensibly long as you're making it out to be.

Search for the strings that reference the player name, replace the pronouns in those strings, and you'll have done half of the work in 30 seconds.

I know this is gonna start something but

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/dad-hacks-zelda-video-game-change-boy-superhero-195839715.html

Seriously? His daughter can't even read yet, and he goes through all the work of modding the damn game to read that link is a female? Clearly this guy isn't aware of all the video games featuring a female protagonist.

What do you think about this?

I think it's cool. I'm more surprised at your "seriously?!" reaction.

Games like Zelda are a nice way for little kids to practice reading.

Also please name some games like Zelda that feature a female protagonist that you would also consider appropriate for a small child. Okami, maybe, but Ammy is a wolf-goddess and not particularly relatable.

Sure lots of games have female protagonists, but they've got Zelda, and he's been reading the games text to his daughter and making the protagonist a girl to make her feel like the hero. When she's actually old enough to read and play through it herself, it'd be disappointing for a young girl to realize the hero was really a boy I'm sure. This probably wasn't much work at all and its a pretty nice gesture, I think.

Also, there are lots of female protagonists but many of them are too sexualized for a young girl to really be playing anyways. Old Metroid games would be nice maybe.

Also please name some games like Zelda that feature a female protagonist that you would also consider appropriate for a small child. Okami, maybe, but Ammy is a wolf-goddess and not particularly relatable.

QFT 10char

I think it's a sweet gesture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Would I personally do it if I had a daughter? Prob not. Would rather use it as an education experience to look at people as people, and not put people into roles based upon gender. Which I believe the father is trying to do in some sense. I just wouldn't do it the same way.

Yeah. I agree with his intent and all, it's just I question if his method is really the best in the long run as I think amphibious pointed out.

Which is really a large part of why I posted this. Inspirational? Perhaps, but is essentially "lying" about an existing character really the best way to go about it?

...or to ignore the text and just figure out that the second dialogue option makes the civ you're talking to your friend for the rest of the game, as my cousin found out in his preschool years long before learning reading or English.

But yeah, I like Darke's point here. Maybe the indie game scene could take this as a challenge?

I think it's nice that the father cared enough to attempt to fix the sexism problem, but I don't think treating a male like a female is a good solution. The fault really lies with game developers for not making enough titles with realistic, worthwhile, female protagonists.

A friend of mine pointed out something about this that I thought was interesting.

In Wind Waker, the game this guy modded, is Princess Zelda not Shiek? Isn't shiek just Zelda in disguise? Isn't Shiek like, tough as hell?

Seriously, I'm asking. I don't know much about Zelda.

Wind Waker has Tetra, who is tough as nails and won't take any shit from anyone.

A friend of mine pointed out something about this that I thought was interesting.

In Wind Waker, the game this guy modded, is Princess Zelda not Shiek? Isn't shiek just Zelda in disguise? Isn't Shiek like, tough as hell?

Seriously, I'm asking. I don't know much about Zelda.

Sheik never actually does anything aside from playing a few songs and giving vague exposition.

I know it has been said before but. QFT.

Maybe he should let his daughter play FF6. Terra is the protagonist of the first half. Although she does fall into the traditional mother role by the end of the game. But Celes, Relm, and other don't.

I think FF6 is a bit dark for kids.

Though Terra hardly counts as the main protagonist since in the end she's totally optional. I'd say Celes/Locke are the dual leads in that game since it's mostly their actions that drive it.

I never really thought it was necessary to go to such effort though. These hipster parents with their lofty ideals :P Perhaps he's such a strong idealist he did it so as to get the attention and spread the message about a lack of female protagonists in Zelda-style adventure games rather than just for his kid (though that's fine too). Just seems like a lot of effort and contrived stuff.

Well, if he's already got the know-how, I really doubt that a simple text replacement would have taken as incomprehensibly long as you're making it out to be.

Search for the strings that reference the player name, replace the pronouns in those strings, and you'll have done half of the work in 30 seconds.

*ahem* *ahem*