Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Having a hard time narrowing down my votes from my top 5, so to help myself I'm putting comments down in writing.

• Stone Cold Metal: Fun, energetic mix. Lots of variety in the arrangement without being inconsistent in style. Not a big fan of the opening lead synth. Soundscape is busy but not so much as to become cluttered. Lots of original content at the expense of straight use of the sources, but it's all obviously inspired by and in the same style as the sources.
  • Tempestuous: Very traditional style, but why knock what works? Full of nice vertical layering and call-and-response use of the two sources. But while that aspect is done wonderfully, it really is the only highlight of the mix, which otherwise isn't terribly memorable. There isn't anything to complain about either, though.
  • The Underwater Adventures of Shadedog: Absolutely nailed that underwater feeling. Sounds straight out of the Aquaria soundtrack. And it's not just the instrumentation but the little twists on the sources that are done in that exact style. However, this does heavily favor Shade Man; the Ballade sections, which are short, few, and far between, feel slightly shoehorned in and aren't "water-ified" as elegantly. A gorgeous mix overall; I think this could pass the OCR judges with very little work.
  • Punked in the Jewels: Classic Gario, never a bad thing. That bass "evil laugh" is weird, though, and doesn't always sound like it belongs. A little over-interpreted, IMHO. A little too frantic for my tastes, although I appreciate that the franticness is deliberate, and it's well done for what it is.
  • Does Anybody Really Even: Interesting how even when pH is trying for a very specific ambiance--and succeeding at it--it's still unequivocally the glitchy, wild pH we all know. I definitely do hear that you used DWR: Wily 1 instead of Heart of Enker in places, but there are also parts that go the other way. Overall the style and quality are great, and given that I'm not a big fan of glitchiness, this is one of my favorite pH mixes to date. My only real complaint, and it's a big one, is in the length: Not only is it less than 3 minutes long, but a lot of that is ambient build-up and interlude, and both Tengu Man and Heart of Enker are long and complex sources which deserve more. Out of curiosity, I timed it: The source usage adds up to barely half the whole mix. What there is is great, there just isn't enough of it.

Edited by MindWanderer

[*]Does Anybody Really Even: Interesting how even when pH is trying for a very specific ambiance--and succeeding at it--it's still unequivocally the glitchy, wild pH we all know. I definitely do hear that you used DWR: Wily 1 instead of Heart of Enker in places, but there are also parts that go the other way. Overall the style and quality are great, and given that I'm not a big fan of glitchiness, this is one of my favorite pH mixes to date. My only real complaint, and it's a big one, is in the length: Not only is it less than 3 minutes long, but a lot of that is ambient build-up and interlude, and both Tengu Man and Heart of Enker are long and complex sources which deserve more. Out of curiosity, I timed it: The source usage adds up to barely half the whole mix. What there is is great, there just isn't enough of it.

Haha, I was actually planning on making the whole mix pretty Metroid Prime-y, but it didn't end up going that way. Like I mentioned, I had to scrap my previous ideas and start completely from scratch at about 3 AM Saturday morning, and had to roll with the first thing that was functional instead of really taking the time to refine things. The late start also accounts for the length (though admittedly I probably should've taken out about 8 bars of the build).

I bolded that last part, because now I'm curious: how do you figure? Perhaps being closer to the mix I'm more familiar with where the sources were used, but I'm curious to see where you thought the usage was so that maybe I can figure out why it appeared to be so sparse to other listeners.

I bolded that last part, because now I'm curious: how do you figure? Perhaps being closer to the mix I'm more familiar with where the sources were used, but I'm curious to see where you thought the usage was so that maybe I can figure out why it appeared to be so sparse to other listeners.
I haven't played Metroid Prime much, but now that you mention it, I think you succeeded in doing a Metroid Prime/Phonetic Hero hybrid.

On yet another listen, and listening carefully through Tengu Man a few times (Mega Man 8 is my weak point in MM music lore), what tripped me up is 1:55-2:26. I thought this was original content, riffs on the stuff you already had, but it's just an extension of the last, brief section of Tengu Man. Adding another 30 seconds of source to the count makes it way more than half, so my apologies there.

So I just went to vote and noticed several people misspelled the name of my track xD

It's named Spinesharks, and that's supposed to be a pun on the name Shinesparks. But oh well, I guess people are just too lazy to fully read track names :razz:

Man, I looked up the name of your track to figure out the meaning and all I got were posture correction product results in google. I was like... "well that's not it. I guess I won't know the meaning".

http://spineshark.com/

On a side note I think I jinxed the workshop forums with my previous comment. Expect more interesting people I guess...

Edited by shadow24

[*]The Underwater Adventures of Shadedog: Absolutely nailed that underwater feeling. Sounds straight out of the Aquaria soundtrack. And it's not just the instrumentation but the little twists on the sources that are done in that exact style. However, this does heavily favor Shade Man; the Ballade sections, which are short, few, and far between, feel slightly shoehorned in and aren't "water-ified" as elegantly. A gorgeous mix overall; I think this could pass the OCR judges with very little work.

Thanks Mindwanderer. I was really going for that Aquaria feel so being compared to that on the first review i've seen couldn't make me happier. Part of the problem is that i've been playing the shademan theme alot for the past month but I didn't give myself enough time to play the gauntlet theme. So I would listen to a part of it then record it. I'm working on a new version now that i'll probably sub. Hopefully before it becomes just another remix that sits on my HDD. :)

I'm working on a new version now that i'll probably sub. Hopefully before it becomes just another remix that sits on my HDD. :)
I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been at this very long, but I already have quite a few mixes where I really like the general arrangement, but I don't yet have the chops to get them up to OCR standards. Once I finally get something passed, I want to go back over a bunch of my old stuff to see how I feel about it.

Of course, this probably describes everyone still aiming for that ReMixer Profile badge.

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been at this very long, but I already have quite a few mixes where I really like the general arrangement, but I don't yet have the chops to get them up to OCR standards. Once I finally get something passed, I want to go back over a bunch of my old stuff to see how I feel about it.

Of course, this probably describes everyone still aiming for that ReMixer Profile badge.

My guess is this describes anyone who does music, period.

Can we have some reviews, plz, cause since I'm still unable to get at least one vote, I wonder what you guys think of my track this time, din't have the time to really finish it, I rush the last minute of the track but, I think it's my best so far

I also wonder, how many time(hours) you guys can put for a remix

Next time I should try to use an equalizator, I guess cause I never touch this yet and I know all my track kinda need it

Hope there's no key change problem in this one