Super Smash Bros. Brawl

CE

I don't see a reason why anyone would need to apologize for being good. They are better at someone else, that is all there is too it. I see apologizing as a sort of an insult actually. It shows that you acknowledge that you are better than someone. Even if your intentions were good, the end result is still kind of in the same line as gloating.

I don't see a reason why anyone would need to apologize for being good. They are better at someone else, that is all there is too it. I see apologizing as a sort of an insult actually. It shows that you acknowledge that you are better than someone. Even if your intentions were good, the end result is still kind of in the same line as gloating.

Fair enough. I do use it as a way to gloat occasionally, but this is when I say that then don't switch characters. I dunno, I just like to keep things interesting where it'll be close matches all around so I tend to play to the level of my opponent without realizing it. Both for better and for worse.

Speaking of tiers, have they changed much recently? I haven't kept up with them cause I don't care too much and don't "believe" in them. I understand they are good indicators of what characters are better, but like what's been said: skill is skill.

This is the most recent one:

Top Tier:

Fox

Falco

High Tier:

Sheik

Marth

Peach

Middle Tier:

Captain Falcon

Ice Climbers

Samus

Doctor Mario

Jigglypuff

Mario

Ganondorf

Low Tier:

Link

Luigi

Donkey Kong

Roy

Young Link

Pikachu

Bottom Tier:

Yoshi

Zelda

Mr. Game and Watch

Ness

Bowser

Kirby

Pichu

Mewtwo

Yeah, I don't see the point in apologizing for being better than someone else. I beat people badly, and people have beat me badly. It's just like any other competition: some people are better than others. It's nothing to apologize for.

The current tiers have not changed in forever. They're outdated. They only remain unchanged because no one want to officially claim, who has gotten better. Because for every person that gets raised, another or more get dropped, and then disputes flame up. For example, I think Link currently places mid-mid-tier in competitive play, but that would cause a great deal of outrage for at least Mario and Ganondorf. So they leave it.

Edit: I like the way the above poster put it. ^ "The most recent one." That's pretty much it. Because it's officially still this since the last census.

Thank God you got rid of that bloody milk bottle Link! I can remember so many times playing as Young Link where I would instinctively taunt after killing someone, only to subsequently realise the hell I had unleashed and the position I was now in. SKULL SKULL SKULL...damn...

Haha King Dedede was nicknamed Thor...this amuses me.

And with us being able to input our own text when taunting, I can foresee a relentless assault of "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!"

technique07_071113f-l.jpg

super sayain fox

Cool update, It makes me very happy and seems like a very logical and fun addition.

... but seriously, let's be honest...

Fox looks like he's taking the most painful, firey crap of his life. LOOK I TELL YOU.

His ass has a power level of... 9000.

... also I liked what each player was saying in the image at the bottom, especially the "SNAAAAKE!" one and "Enjoy the view." Teehee.

Ha, this will totally make you want to play Star Fox after watching it, and maybe have a beer while you're at it :razz:

I think I will do both of these things right now. Also cool update, but I still wish we could use these text taunts online with random people. Guess that's probably not going to happen.

Hey, just got internets back (my computer's boot sector got a physical corruption on it, so I'm off that for a while; oh, the "joys" of the Opera browser), so I thought I'd respond to the 'apologetic player' thing while I have a chance.

So, yeah. When I was saying that the Fox guy seemed 'apologetic' sometimes, it wasn't that he seemed like that because he was good; you're right, it's dumb to feel sorry because you are skilled at something. He seems that way sometimes because he plays Fox the way most people play him: lots of laser-spamming, shine edgeguards, and he pretty much only attacks with either his up throw, his up smash, or his up aerial. The majority of the people who play at school find that style of play... well, we don't like it, to say the least. (Mind you, we deal with it, because who are we to say that it's wrong; we just don't like it for philosophical reasons), and he seems like he sometimes feels bad because most of the people he fights consider his practices unsportsmanlike (in particular, edge-hogging, again for philosophical reasons).

And I don't necessarily see why it's 'gloating' to feel bad when your over-abundance of skill markedly makes other people have less fun. Like I said, we all deal with our frustrations and just grin and bear it, but it also shows that other, more skilled players have a vested interest in OUR enjoyment of the game, as well.

--Jack Kieser

PS: Links taunts rock. Totally makes up for his crappy fight intro.