OCR00009 - Space Harrier "Disco"

Space Harrier 'Disco'

DJP is insane. This is the tune that got me interested in videogame music back in the day when I first got my Sega Master System. And now it's DISCO?????? Actually it's not that bad. If you are familiar with Space Harrier then this is probably an automatic download. Sounds like it is full of MP3 artifacts in the high frequencies, but I'm not sure if that's something DJP did when he made the song (high ends sounds wishy-washy and slurry). It varies up a bit in the middle, and that's pretty cool.

• 2 months later...

I know this mix was posted awhile ago, but man, i've got it now!

it's hilarious, very cool and true to the original tune. Space Harrier music really helped in making you feel like yer flying around with a jetpack at mach5! DJp, i don't know how you always vary your mixes so much, but keep up the great work! Such variety in your tunes. The P.Star2 mix was cool too, one of the few tunes that i can't get bored of.

BTW, have you tried the 32X version of Space Harrier, i have it, and it's probably exact to the arcade, and the music is awesome and crystal clear! give it a looksie.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty funky collection of synths. All the instruments are cool sounding electronic synths, and have a sort of wobbly sound to them. The tune itself is pretty good, giving a feeling of flying quickly over a blurring landscape. And the synths sound cool.

The track starts with some cool chords, opening into the main melody at 00:10. At 00:28, another instrument is mixed in, and funks it up. At 00:40 the track really begins to soar,, the effect increased by the truly wobbly instrument introduced eight seconds later.

At 1:08, the main melody changes, with more of an emphasis on the aforementioned wobbly instrument (Don't ask me what it is, I'm terrable at picking instruments.) at 1:48, we get a focus on the cool Bass work, opening into a funky piece of techno at 2:00, and getitng cool fifteen seconds later, mixing it up with some fast work.

The main melody begins again at 2:42, following with what could be considered the kind of chorus. At 3:25, the sound fades to end.

Overall, its a decent and funky track. I havn't heard the original, but suspect fans of the original would probably like it. However, with the great range of mixes at OC, this kind of ends up being slighly forgettable.

Subjective playing-synths-with-bad-motor-control-O-meter: 6/10

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of all the Space Harrier mixes I couldn't really find one that stuck out but I'ld have to say DJP's is the best one. Space Harrier has one of the best theme's, it's a shame the remixes aren't good.

It's great when djp layers the synths in this song and there are some great solos. One cool parts at 1:23 and then there's that crazy solo somewhere near the middle. My favourite part is near the end at 3:10 where that new synth is added

Overall this isn't a bad song. I'm still looking for that extremely kick ass Space Harrier mix

• 2 years later...

remix number 9? More like OLDverclocked remix. ;-D ;-D

Actually for being of such a vintage, this remix has some sweet stuff going for it. The solos are very very good, and the space harrier theme itself is great. I wouldn't really classify this as anything even close to disco, but the synth sounds do have a nice 70's retro feel to them.

Pretty nice stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well this is what it says on the tin. Sort of new wave electro disco. The bassline is typical of the style ;) Again lacking in the mid range which causes an empty soundscape. That said, the source is classic (Come on guys we need MOAR space harrier theme remixes :P)

This is probably my fav mix of the first wave of djp mixes before other people came along to share the spotlight.

As a solo fiend myself, I approve of the synth solo. Great stuff, a keeper for me.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah, more DjP. That's... a really weird looking game. I can't let the one eye'd elephant distract me, though.

I'm liking the instruments and style of this one. It really catches the happy mood perfectly. The phasing, the funk bass, the disco vibe, it all works well for the track.

The soundscape is a bit lacking, overall. I'm wishing that there was more bass and lower mids - right now it sounds like there's no bottom of the track.

Those squares used for the harmonies... they're awesome. I don't know why they warrant a special mention, but they are indeed awesome. I'm just sayin'.

The playful mood is infectious. A song that makes me happy listening to it is indeed a song worth listening to. This gets seven one eye'd elephants out of ten.

• 3 years later...

I wish I felt more of the disco in this song! So the whichachaka thing is classic, and when the bassline shines through it's SO good. And yeah the arrangement is good overall, a good extrapolation of the original and doesn't get old.

But then you have the main source melody on some odd little sine synths that could probably be beefier, and the drums, I dunno maybe it's a filter of some kind, they seem to be in the wrong place. Yeah, like someone said I think primarily the samples just need updating.

(.... also the song needed an ending!)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00009 - Space Harrier "Disco"
  • 7 years later...

Another one where the youtube link is broken.
My biggest issue with this one has always been the complete lack of an ending. It just sort of stops.
There's something about the sound samples in here. I don't know what it is, but they're immediately recognizable. I feel like I've heard those same samples many times in the past. On old VGmix mixes maybe? VGMix is long gone and the vgmix archive is woefully incomplete and has been abandoned for over a decade now, hard to go back and compare. I assume that whatever software this was written on back in 1999 was very common, maybe a free program. Or maybe the sample library was free. I have no idea.

The style absolutely fits Space Harrier and makes me smile at the happy vibes, so it hits what it's supposed to.