OCR00498 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Blue Lament"

Ginnsu

Lunar: The Silver Star 'Blue Lament'

A wonderful foot tapping beat with an excellently played piano and sax here by djpretzel. This guy just never stops pumping out these incredible tunes. Excellent djpretzel, there is no need to tell you to keep up the great work any more, because I’m positive that you will.

• 2 weeks later...

DJ Pretzel establishes himself as one of the site's finest with this tunage. He works at the niggling details and makes a piece that's truly evocative of emotion, namely melancholy. The sax and piano polish off the solid drumwork. Wow.

• 2 months later...

With such sounds, i think i could survive off DJP's stuff, this is probably one of the best jazzy-ish mixes on the entire site, it has contradictory feeligns to it, but that just goes to show how great DJP is at putting things toghether. An amazing mix with everything you may want out of it .. slow .. soft, beautifull

keep up the throughly amazing work.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another one of your 'exception' pieces. It's got a flavour that I think stands a bit above the rest of your mixes. I keep coming back to it, it's really enjoyable. I don't know how you could've been so dismissive towards it; you must've been in a rotten mood that day. *Goes and reads FAQ to try and offer some kind of abstract comfort and support*

• 7 months later...

I'm impressed DJP made this so long ago, and yet it still stands the test of time. Being very familiar with the source material - DJP capitalizes on the source material extremely well and expands on it with a great new take. Love the instrumental choices here too and the intimate mixing decisions taken. Not only one of my favorites by the pretz, but definitely one of the best on this site. Impressive and beautiful work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A very nice piece by DJP, one of the most consistent Remixers on this site (and the owner, of course). Unfortunately, I never played Lunar myself, so I can't connect to the song beyond its obvious goodness.

The synth quality is not as high as it is in some of the others mixes, but the composition is excellent. And, that said, the synthing really doesn't bother me at all. But it would be cool to hear a live version, wouldn't it? It gets a 4/5 for superior craftsmanship.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Really interesting rearrangement of the sad piano theme here... Sounds like a completely different (and of course really good) song, almost. The original song's really simple, so there's a lot that can be done with it.

Some of the things I liked in particular were the piano part that comes in at 1:29 (in the background), the sax coming in at 1:43, and the piano coming in around 2:49 near the end. KF

• 3 months later...

Distinctly blue; this is aptly titled. Even better that it fits the game name as well.

I love the noodling with the clav and rhodes, and the atmosphere set with the piano and string bed. This really does have a different feel than the usual funky DJP fare, and it feels a lot more personal.

My plan was to review a group of tracks this morning, but this one really caught me, and i've been just grooving with it for a few hours. I think it's the combination of the instrumentation, the slightly-behind-the-beat playing, and the sparse comping that speaks to me.

Beautiful music.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00498 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Blue Lament"