The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

CE

- When going in to a group of enemies on Epona, you can do a quick dismount, and Link will hop off with a backflip. Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

On the Gamecube version, you can do the backflip dismount manually with no enemies around. It's either hold back and hit A, hold R, or both.

first of all, what happened to the forums omg change I can't handle it actually it looks pretty nice

second of all, after playing both the wii and gamecube versions, I decided to buy the gamecube version

some may say that I only did this to avoid paying 250 dollars for a new console

to these people I would say "maybe", but to myself I would justify my poorness with something along the lines of "the screen is less cluttered, I have camera control, and link is properly left-handed"

anyway, I'm thirty hours in, with eleven hearts and two mirror shards, and it is quite simply the best game I have ever played ever in all of everness

I mean god DAMN could they make the story any more awesome

So guys, it's come to my attention that Link wasn't actually left-handed in Ocarina and Majora's. True, he wielded his sword and various other melee items (Deku sticks, Megaton hammer, etc.) with his left hand, but a friend of mine brought up the very valid point that he aims the slingshot and bow with his right. It's rather difficult to aim either of these weapons with your off hand, so that pretty much makes him ambidextrous. What a badass.

So guys, it's come to my attention that Link wasn't actually left-handed in Ocarina and Majora's. True, he wielded his sword and various other melee items (Deku sticks, Megaton hammer, etc.) with his left hand, but a friend of mine brought up the very valid point that he aims the slingshot and bow with his right. It's rather difficult to aim either of these weapons with your off hand, so that pretty much makes him ambidextrous. What a badass.

No, he's exclusively left-handed, and has been since the original Zelda on the NES. I am left-handed and I aim slingshots and bows the same way he does.

No, he's exclusively left-handed, and has been since the original Zelda on the NES. I am left-handed and I aim slingshots and bows the same way he does.

So..basically EVERYONE EVERYWHERE HOLDS a bow/slingshot with their left and aims/pulls the string/elastic with their right?

That's...weird.

Uh, typically, one would use their NON-dominant hand is such a situation, to hold the bow, or slingshot, and their dominant hand to shoot it. So, being right handed, I would use my left hand to hold the bow, and my right hand to fire. Try it yourself, get a REAL bow, one that's not easy to fire. You'll find it easier to be using that dominant hand to fire, rather than to hold the bow.

So basically, Link is holding it the correct way (I have the GCN game). So, he's normal.

Also, think about it. In a way, you are still using your dominant hand to aim (because that is where your eye is going to be set on. Sorta like holding a rifle.. You are gonna use your non-dominant hand to go towards the front, because the dominant hand is what you use to aim and fire it.

Edit: BTW, I've fired a real bow and arrow before.

Double Edit: This post is only aimed at those who are saying it's weird how link holds his bow and arrow or slingshot.

I am right-handed. I remember archery lessons back in high school, and I used my left hand to hold the bow, and used my right hand to pull back the arrow and let 'er fly.

So, it makes sense Link holds the bow with his right-hand and uses his left hand as the "trigger finger."

Basically, your dominant hand is always your trigger finger when it comes to bows, slingshots, etc.

Yeah, you use your dominant hand to draw when using such things, and that's what Link does.

Hell, even in FF IV you can see that in effect. If you equip a right-handed character with a bow in their right and the arrows in their left, the attack power is lower than it would be with the items reversed.

lol, proof by videogame (not that it's incorrect)

That's strange. I am right-handed, and I hold slingshots in my right hand, pulling back with the left. That's so strange.

Then you are not doing it right. I guess you never went to archery class or anything. To PROPERLY use a Bow and Arrow, or even just a slingshot, you must use your Dominant hand to fire, and non-dominant hand to hold the bow itself. Now, if you are ambidextrous, then you would be able to do it either way. But if you are not, and you are doing it the way you say, then you are not doing it right, and are just strange.

Then you are not doing it right. I guess you never went to archery class or anything. To PROPERLY use a Bow and Arrow, or even just a slingshot, you must use your Dominant hand to fire, and non-dominant hand to hold the bow itself. Now, if you are ambidextrous, then you would be able to do it either way. But if you are not, and you are doing it the way you say, then you are not doing it right, and are just strange.

A fair point, I am slightly right-handed - I bat and golf switch, but do everything else left-handed. It makes it rather difficult for me to judge.

Actually...hand dominance has nothing to do with it.

Eye dominance. The first thing we did before picking up a bow was to see what was our dominant eye.

Turns out I'm left eye dominant, so shot in that style.

I think, though, more often than not, people are either all right dominant, or left. Like me, (20/20 vision), right foot, right hand. I think it's rare for it not to be that way.. I don't really know though. I have fired a bow before, but was taught by a friend's father. And I did at one point study a text course of archery. And I don't recall the eye thing being critical, or was taught that. But, then again, I do clearly see how it is critical. Because, your left eye can't set on your right hand.

Edit: My point is, I just don't see how it would matter which eye, because you only have to close the other one so you can see better. Maybe if you had like bad vision in one, then that makes sense.

It feels wrong the way that you insist on being the correct method. As far as archery goes, the way everyone has mentioned feels correct for me, but not with a slingshot.

Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

But yeah, I am left eye-dominant and right-handed. So I can basically swap back and forth for different advantages. I can use my right hand (and right eye) for easier trigger pull (good for rifles, not really shotguns) but less ease of vision (natural tenancy to open the wrong eye.

Or I could go left handed (and left eye) to get better vision, but more awkward trigger pull. I do gain the advantage of better stability near the muzzle (gripping the pump), so that's good for shotgun shooting all day, where easy trigger pull is less important than the ease on my front hand/arm.

But yeah, how about that Zelda? I'm totally pissed at the reward for all 60 Poes.

I think, though, more often than not, people are either all right dominant, or left. Like me, (20/20 vision), right foot, right hand. I think it's rare for it not to be that way.. I don't really know though. I have fired a bow before, but was taught by a friend's father. And I did at one point study a text course of archery. And I don't recall the eye thing being critical, or was taught that. But, then again, I do clearly see how it is critical. Because, your left eye can't set on your right hand.

Edit: My point is, I just don't see how it would matter which eye, because you only have to close the other one so you can see better. Maybe if you had like bad vision in one, then that makes sense.

That makes sense, then. My left eye is 20/10 and my right is 20/30 or worse. Now I understand my problem :-P

So how about that ball and chain. Is that one bitchin' item or what?

I think one of the things this game does very well is play with your expectations. The Snowpeak mansion is a perfect example of this; that's simply not remotely like what you'd expect a Zelda dungeon to be, yet it works brilliantly and has some great puzzles. Even the item plays with your expectations; you know you gotta get through a lot of the ice, but you expect fire arrows or a fire rod or some other such thing to let you melt them. The ball and chain is a complete surprise.

The spinner is another example; completely unlike any previous Zelda item, but it works so well, and they designed one seriously bitchin' dungeon around it.

So how about that ball and chain. Is that one bitchin' item or what?

I think one of the things this game does very well is play with your expectations. The Snowpeak mansion is a perfect example of this; that's simply not remotely like what you'd expect a Zelda dungeon to be, yet it works brilliantly and has some great puzzles. Even the item plays with your expectations; you know you gotta get through a lot of the ice, but you expect fire arrows or a fire rod or some other such thing to let you melt them. The ball and chain is a complete surprise.

The spinner is another example; completely unlike any previous Zelda item, but it works so well, and they designed one seriously bitchin' dungeon around it.

I totally agree. It's not that it's even the "best" Zelda out there so much as it tended to play on my expectations and give me the things, deep down, that I really wanted.

I mean, personally, I found Wind Waker's ending to be the most powerful of any Zelda game. It gave more character to Zelda and Gannon than any game before it (and since?). However, Twilight Princess excelled in completely different avenues, and did so more consistantly.

Personally, I enjoyed the development of the side characters that was so well done in TP. I was kind of hoping for the group of people at the bar to have more character development, but I guess I can be satisfied with the kids.

The one thing that I didn't get was the lack of character development for Zelda; I mean, yeah, Midna was important, but Zelda's development was zil.

All in all, a great narrative, great dungeons, great game. The only thing missing was that small-town feel I got from Windfall that I loved so much. But I'm in the minority, apparently.