OC ReMix presents Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness!

Liontamer

Cover

OC ReMix presents Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness!

October 1, 2018

FAIRFAX, VA... OverClocked ReMix today released its 67th free community arrangement album, Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness. Featuring 70 tracks from 56 artists as well as an interview with the game's legendary composer Hiroki Kikuta, Songs of Light and Darkness pays tribute to the celebrated Japan-exclusive 16-bit Square RPG Seiken Densetsu 3, and is directed by Finnish musician Rozovian along with assistant director Meteo Xavier. The album is available for free download at http://sd3.ocremix.org.

Released just after the game's 23rd anniversary and representing over 10 years of gradual development, Songs of Light and Darkness assembles a global lineup of musicians tackling Hiroki Kikuta's progressive SNES soundtrack in a variety of styles across 4 1/2 hours of interpretive arrangements. Songs of Light and Darkness was made by fans, for fans, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Square Enix; all images, characters, and original compositions are copyright their respective owners.

"The album project began more than a decade ago. And, hey, we got the whole tracklist done. The slow progress eventually gave us the whole soundtrack wonderfully remixed by OC ReMix regulars and strangers alike," recalled album director Rozovian. "It's an eclectic mix of things, with the expected orchestral and metal epics sharing space with instrumentation and styles including waltz, rap, Mellotron, reggae, harpsichord, J-rock, and plenty of world music elements from all over the place incorporated into a large number of the remixes."

The album's immersive character and environment artwork -- focused on the game's light and dark classes -- was designed by New Jersey artist Min "Keiiii" Kwon, author and illustrator of the Korean webtoon-inspired fantasy comic Heart of Keol.

"Though only released in Japan, the Western gamers who came across [Seiken Densetsu 3], either on cartridge or by other means, found it one of the most beautiful games on the SNES. The music plays a big part in that," Rozovian observed. "I'm very happy to have my name among the artists here, and I'm sure you can find something you like on this behemoth of an album."

Songs of Light and Darkness is OC ReMix's second album honoring composer Hiroki Kikuta, following 2017's Resonance of the Pure Land, which arranged the soundtrack of Seiken Densetsu 3's more widely released 1993 prequel Secret of Mana.

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans. OC ReMix operates under the umbrella and sponsorship of Game Music Initiative, Inc, a 501c3 non-profit charitable organization (EIN: 81-4140676).

###

I am blindsided with joy!  Just recently I was thinking how nice it would be if OCR did an epic album based on Seiken Densetsu 3.  I never knew it was in the works, it was just a thought,  

then BAM!  Here it is.  Wow!  Thank you guys so much!  

EDIT:  Just noticed PU Freak posted above me,  I gotta say I am a huge fan.  Your piano arrangements are the best I've ever heard, easily the best music I listen to.  Your contributions to any OCR album are invariably my favorite parts and I am literally crying listening to For king and Country on this album, and I know the Missingno Tracks has been around for a while but I can't seem to go a week without listening to Clash of the titans and Journey's end.  Clash in particular gets me more pumped up for a good old fashioned pokemon battle than the games themselves did when I was 8, which is 100x more of an emotional reaction than I get out of a lot of music.  I'm sorry to ramble on, I'll stop before this turns into a true rant but you are the best and I want you to know that.  keep up the incredible work! 

2 hours ago, Tonedeaf said:

I am blindsided with joy!  Just recently I was thinking how nice it would be if OCR did an epic album based on Seiken Densetsu 3.  I never knew it was in the works, it was just a thought,  

then BAM!  Here it is.  Wow!  Thank you guys so much!  

EDIT:  Just noticed PU Freak posted above me,  I gotta say I am a huge fan.  Your piano arrangements are the best I've ever heard, easily the best music I listen to.  Your contributions to any OCR album are invariably my favorite parts and I am literally crying listening to For king and Country on this album, and I know the Missingno Tracks has been around for a while but I can't seem to go a week without listening to Clash of the titans and Journey's end.  Clash in particular gets me more pumped up for a good old fashioned pokemon battle than the games themselves did when I was 8, which is 100x more of an emotional reaction than I get out of a lot of music.  I'm sorry to ramble on, I'll stop before this turns into a true rant but you are the best and I want you to know that.  keep up the incredible work! 

Thanks for the awesome compliments! I hope you keep enjoying my mixes (and the rest of the SD3 album as well of course); I think my two tracks on this album are the best ones I've written so far

21 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

The Duke Nukem Forever of OCR.

Also, congrats

Hilarious comparison :P .  Except I'm certain we'd all like to think that Songs of Light & Darkness had a Positive reception upon release lmao.  Poor Duke. 

(edit) Confession: I still need to beat SD3!!  That's next in my bucket list damnit lmao.  Will be fun to compare the remixes to the originals as I play!

18 hours ago, pu_freak said:

I think my two tracks on this album are the best ones I've written so far

Same. I still think that March to High my best work and Dry Heart first piano thing I did(still suck a bit).

Not talking about Rozo and Mazzerati track, I was blown away with that bass writing. BTW who wrote that bass line @Rozovian?

23 hours ago, Mak Eightman said:

Not talking about Rozo and Mazzerati track, I was blown away with that bass writing. BTW who wrote that bass line @Rozovian?

Are you talking about the staccatos or the electric bass? My writing all of it, except for the last minute or so, which is Moz'. Unless he changed something in my writing. It was a long time ago, I don't remember. I don't think he did.

And it wouldn't have been as great without your instrumentation. :D Well done!

On 10/2/2018 at 8:02 PM, HoboKa said:

(edit) Confession: I still need to beat SD3!!  That's next in my bucket list damnit lmao.  Will be fun to compare the remixes to the originals as I play!

That's criminal. Bare minimum, you need to play through it three times for the different story line progression possibilities, as well as a few times more so you can experiment with the various character progression possibilities that one can experiment with...

Probably the only game I've run through more than FFV, which is actually kind of scary, all things considered.

EDIT: Oh yeah, awesome album, everyone should check it out, and all that jazz. :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, an_angry_mexican said:

Marvelous work, but track "5-01 John Revoredo - Porcelain Doll (Female Turbulence)" from the flac folder it's in mp3. Could you guys check it?

It's mentioned in the Read me TXT, but there's no lossless version for only that track, so that MP3 covers the gap. We do that rather than have a "missing" file in the FLAC folder, which would get even more questions about it. :-)

22 hours ago, Liontamer said:

It's mentioned in the Read me TXT, but there's no lossless version for only that track, so that MP3 covers the gap. We do that rather than have a "missing" file in the FLAC folder, which would get even more questions about it. :-)

Thanks for the clarification. The truth is that I had not reviewed all the contents of the torrent, I only saw the list of files and that was the first thing that caught my attention.
I think that "someone" deserves to be turned into a porcelain doll for that oversight. :P

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, darthvaderx said:
I would like to put the wonderful 'Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness!' in the SNES MSU-1 project as one of the soundtrack options for this game, would I have your permission? All authors will be duly credited.

Yep, as long as everyone's credited along with https://ocremix.org, go for it! :-)

And here I was, posting half-joking/half-seriously that Square should include our project in the upcoming Collection of Mana game, when someone should come along and do something just as good without having to involve SE and loads of red tape to do it. Puts a smile to my face. :D

Any chance you could share a link to the MSU-whatever page when you put it up and make it available? I want to be able to see it and share it around.

17 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

And here I was, posting half-joking/half-seriously that Square should include our project in the upcoming Collection of Mana game, when someone should come along and do something just as good without having to involve SE and loads of red tape to do it. Puts a smile to my face. :D

Any chance you could share a link to the MSU-whatever page when you put it up and make it available? I want to be able to see it and share it around.

Yes, the soundtrack was posted yesterday in the Zeldix forum, but the patch still has some bugs like lack of songs in some parts and the repetition of others when they shouldn't, but the people there are running to fix them and when everything is ready I will post here the link for everyone to enjoy, okay?   ;-)

It's in there, I just don't immediately remember which remix it is and don't have the opportunity to find the notes or go through it to find it tonight.

Remember that there were track name translation errors when brought over here and commonly known track titles are actually mix-ups of the correct ones. The .RSN archive on it should have the right tracks. Please help confirm if this is the tune you're searching for:

If you still haven't found it in a little while, I'll try to help isolate the right remix. Trust you me, Vader, we made sure to get every single track on there and even some remixes of the ***damn SOUND EFFECTS when we could, so it's in there somewhere. :P

Edited by Meteo Xavier