Expressions of Interest: "TimeShift: An OverClocked ReMix 25th Anniversary Album"

Dyluck

Hello everyone!

As you are probably aware, on December 11, 2024, OCR will be turning 25 years old. And what better way to celebrate this than to do what the community is all about: collaboration.

So, after running the idea past folks on the Discord, I've decided that we ought to get the ball rolling with a project while we are still over 11 months out. Namely, I want to put together an album that both looks forward and looks backward, that celebrates the 25 years that OCR has been around, acknowledges this time period in VGM and also promotes the ongoing growth of the community's musicians, new and old, younger and older.

Therefore, I present the idea of TimeShift (working title). The premise of the album is simple:

1. Any ReMixer BORN BEFORE December 11, 1999 may contribute from sources that were RELEASED AFTER this date.

2. Any ReMixer BORN AFTER December 11, 1999 may contribute from sources that were RELEASED BEFORE this date.

By doing this, I hope that the album challenges all ReMixers to look at sources that they might not necessarily be familiar with. In so doing, we can all stand to gain some fresh perspectives on sources (I had actually considered calling the album "ReFreshed Pixels" for this reason!).

Further Rules

3. All new ReMixes. In other words, don't grab a ReMix you did that's already published on the site and add it to the album. This is as much about the challenge as it is the celebration of the time period. Have an unreleased WIP, even one you've shown off in the forums/Discord? Cool, it's valid. And yes, you can ReMix a source that's already been done.

4. One game, one claim. I don't want the album to filled with veterans' takes on Megalovania or City of Tears, and likewise we already have enough Corridors of Time and Terra's Theme for the younger crowd... Of course, don't let me stop you from being the one and only ReMixer who chooses Undertale or Hollow Knight, or Chrono Trigger or FF6!

5. Multiple sources are fine, but please ensure your main source comes from your valid time period. Adjudications may apply.

6. Release dates means original release. 

• Cross-territory must use the first release date. For example, if a game was released in Japan in early 1999 but in North America in mid-2000, it goes to the younger ReMixer group since it's early 1999.
  • No, just because a classic got a remaster 20+ years later does not qualify it for the veterans unless there's brand new musical material exclusive to that remaster. Adjudications may apply.
  • Expansions (because they were a thing at the time of OCR's founding; remember those?) are valid if they contain brand new musical material exclusive to that expansion that wasn't in the original base game. This also applies if the original was released before OCR's founding but the expansion came out afterwards (making the expansion open to veterans). Adjudications may apply.

7. Typical quality standards apply.

8. The current final submission date (which is open to change) is September 11, 2024. Release date is the 25th anniversary: December 11, 2024.

Suggestions

We have a thread on the Discord where folks can post soundtracks that they can suggest for the album, especially from sources younger than OCR. It's not a requests thread, though: it's designed to get gears turning and ideas flowing.

Roles

Ah, now here's the tricky thing. I've been around the ridges on OCR for a very long time but it's only just recently that I've started to take a more active role in the community. I would certainly love the help of some experienced director(s), artists...heck, let's make this a full celebration and evoke the days of yore with a website too! Please let me know how you may be able to help me out here!

And, of course, this wouldn't be an album without someone to make music to go onto it. I encourage every ReMixer who wants to take part to let me know! And if we can get some sleeping giants from the old days involved somehow, that would be absolutely fantastic.

So that the album can get off the ground, I need expressions of interest from:

• Co-director
  • Mastering Engineer
  • Artist(s)  (unless you want my poor art...)
  • Website Designer (not as necessary, but preferred)

Apart from expressions of interest, I am definitely open to comments, suggestions and feedback.

How to Join

Hit me up on the OCR Discord! Simple as that.

Claims
Tentative
Sketches
Cohesive WIP

These games currently have WIP's and are closed for selection:

• Blue Reflection (2017)
    • Vylent
  • Chrono Trigger (1995)
    • JSABlixer
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (2013) & Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (2019)
    • Pixels & Paradiddles
  • Final Fantasy XVI (2023)
    • Xaleph
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (1990) & Fire Emblem Gaiden (1992)
    • JSABlixer
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (2017)
    • Mel Decision & Treyt
  • LISA: The Painful (2014)
    • 100%ROEMER
  • SimCity 4 (2003)
    • Dyluck
  • Stardew Valley (2016)
    • Moebius feat. Lucas Guimaraes
  • ValiDate (2022)
    • adrian gravitygauntlet

All of the following claims are currently regarded as tentative until a WIP is received:

Dark Souls III (2016) / Elden Ring (2022) / Bloodborne (2015) / Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019) / Demon's Souls (2009)
- The Vodoú Queen

Deep Rock Galactic (2020)
OR
One Step from Eden (2020)

- colorado weeks (& Ridley Snipes?)

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
- adrian gravitygauntlet

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)
- Geoffrey Taucer

Neon White (2022)
- Michael Hudak

Sands of Destruction (2008)
- TSori

The Witcher (series) (2007—)
-sake_hime

Let's not let this significant milestone in our community's history go past without acknowledgement or celebration. Let's do this!

Edited by Dyluck
EDIT 1: Change of date. Clarified rules #3, #4 & #6. Request for specific roles. Tentative claims. Thread of suggested soundtracks in Discord. EDIT 2: (Apr 6) Updating claims. How to join project. EDIT 3: (Apr 12) Updating claims.

man i would love to be part of this but my schedule might be packed! if anybody's interested in a collaboration partner born before 1999 i'm down!

edit: stuff i can contribute as a collab partner can be seen on my OCR profile!

edit 2: if anybody's down for collabing with me on a Deep Rock Galactic or a One Step from Eden remix please hit me up! i would love to do arrangements of either game and i will move heaven and earth to make time in my schedule to do one, but i might need some help!

Edited by colorado weeks
i had an idea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll claim Validate, it's a 2022 VN I did a bunch of stuff for, including producing some of the music from its demos/beta, and ghostwriting a couple of the retail tracks. I have a remix I've barely started for it that I could contribute.

I don't want to claim anything else yet, but a recent Halo or Metroid Dread could be fun. I probably won't have the time, though.

EDIT: I'll claim Halo Combat Evolved too.

Edited by gravitygauntlet

I have a WIP that is finished as far as arrangement goes (happy to play with the mixing/mastering if necessary, it's somewhat loud at -9.08 average LUFS). My remix goes a little further than originally intended and includes source material from three tracks of the LISA game (Forever Turbo Heat Dance, Pebble Man, and Men's Hair Club). I will not be pursing a Knytt Underground remix at this point.

Here's a terrible music video of my LISA WIP for your en"joy"ment! For those of you who haven't heard the LISA soundtrack before, it's.... different to say the least.

Edited by 100_PERCENT ROEMER