Crap games we love

Cerrax

In Donkey Kong 64, you could unlock some really old old "Jetpac" game, in which you collect fuel that falls from the sky onto the unspecified planet/moon to refuel your ship, only to watch your fully fuelled rocket run out of fuel on the way up and come back down countless times, sometimes replaced by a newer, broken ship. And the fuel says "FUEL" on it. VERY addictive, very challenging (even a bit unfair), great replay (infinite levels of laser-shooting and flying madness). I don't know what it was made for, but each 16/16 square of pixels could only have two colours in it at once (black and another colour), and everything made little clicking or blipping noises. I've gotta look that game up.

And while I'm at it.. I kinda liked the rest of DK64 too.....

[Edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetpac

1983?? Written by one guy!? Wow I take that back, that game is NOT crap, not in the least. But I still love it ^^ And the wikipedia entry even has some images with a humourous caption - this game made my day... or at least the previous two minutes of it....

Donkey Kong and Jetpac were included due to their significance in each company's history.

Though indeed, Donkey Kong 64 is probably the better suited game for this thread.

Halo. Apparently it's considered a crap game by everyone here. I still liked it though.

Meh, I've noticed that pretty much any forum with alot of anime fans on it has a general anti-Halo bias. Dunno why. Guess they're all Half-Life fans. :P

Also, I kinda liked the very mediocre Army Men series of games. Except for Sarge's War. That game just sucked balls.

MC kids. __________

Oh yes! MC Kids! Another food corporate shill game, but come on, at the least the levels were decent and some of the music wasn't too bad. It was also one of the first games I played with the infamous "collect X widgets to unlock the next world" method of progression.

Oh yes! MC Kids! Another food corporate shill game, but come on, at the least the levels were decent and some of the music wasn't too bad. It was also one of the first games I played with the infamous "collect X widgets to unlock the next world" method of progression.

From what I heard, most people actually thought it was decent. Well, except for this guy: http://www.screwattack.com/Flash%20HTML/ANN/MC/mckidsintro.html

Some Big Foot monster truck game for NES I rented twice as a kid.

"Races" consisted of tapping the left and right direction on the controller as fast as possible to make your truck move faster (resulting in very sore thumbs on those old NES controllers if I remember right). You could never seem to beat the computer player on tractor drag races no matter what. You could buy new and better parts for your truck though, so I guess that's why I liked it.

Rule of Rose

Game magazines absolutely hated this game! Their ratings were almost as bad as those for Superman 64. Problem is that I don't agree with them one bit. Sure, the fighting was terrible, but that was just from a poorly-designed collision-detection program. Great story, awesome music by Yutaka Minobe (Panzer Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia), beautiful character designs and FMVs. I love it.

untitled.jpgjennifer.jpg

Chalk another one up for Rule of Rose. I bought this game knowing full well of the ratings it got. Like ifirit said, the only thing wrong with this game is the battle system and it sure hasn't stopped me from enjoying this game in the least. If you love survival-horror, there's a very good chance you'll like this game.

There was an Apple II BASIC game once called Terminal Boredom, which was one of the many "Maniac Mansion engine" adventure games out there where you typed in commands to do things in front of big stationary graphic screens.

It started with saying that "you are playing a very boring computer game and are about to fall asleep." gee, nice self-reference...

If you typed "Drink Coffee" because there was a cup of coffee in front of you, you spilled it on the keyboard and electrocuted yourself. Game over, man!

Best feature of the game: If you were on the ProDOS prompt and tried to figure out how to advance in the game by LISTing the BASIC code, it told you "Row, Row, Row your boat gently down the stream" and wouldn't list anything!

I LOVED some of those cheap Apple II games out there you could find on disk collections.

John Romero of id Software fame got his start by programming Apple II clones of Defender, Pac-Man, and other arcade classics and putting them on those disks.

Best feature of the game: If you were on the ProDOS prompt and tried to figure out how to advance in the game by LISTing the BASIC code, it told you "Row, Row, Row your boat gently down the stream" and wouldn't list anything!

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhh!!! I know what that's from but my brain won't make the connection! Please someone tell me before I go insane!