OCR01551 - Parasite Eve "Beauty's Abomination"

djpretzel

This went directly onto my HD. :)

This reminds me alot of Reu's Schenmue mix. Which is also friggin amazing. Highly emotive piano that sounds like it's from a real serious anime.

Good things:

Attention to dynamics, wonderful build-ups and breakouts. Just when you think it can't get more emotive it does.

Melody and harmony are awesome. I just wanna sit back and listen.

Left hand technique. This is really the bread winner for this mix.

I don't like the balance in this track. The left hand seems like it's flooding out the right without contributing much to the arrangement. I've been listening to this a few times to be sure, but I feel that more subtle compositional choices would have improved the mix substantially. See 1:45, 2:20-3:00. The later part should be the climax. It feels instead like a wall of sound most of the time.

I don't like the balance in this track. The left hand seems like it's flooding out the right without contributing much to the arrangement. I've been listening to this a few times to be sure, but I feel that more subtle compositional choices would have improved the mix substantially. See 1:45, 2:20-3:00. The later part should be the climax. It feels instead like a wall of sound most of the time.

I felt the same way. Even on headphones and turning the bass down it was like "BASSBASSBASSBASS" in my ears.

Other than that, it was pretty (can you say that and stay manly?).

I am a huge fan of Kee's work. Really. I love his music. But for some reason I can't agree with the previous posters. Maybe it's because it sounds like all the songs my brother plays over and over again and I stop listening to them. I actually couldn't hear the song while it was playing because it wasn't captivating enough. So, sorry Mr. Kee, the music just seems dead to me right now.

This is one hell of a piece. An incredible achievement. One of the most overlooked games in history imo gets one of the better remixes i have heard off this site. Parasite eve might of been short but it's storyline just owned and overall the game rocked. To this day i hold out hope a third parasite eve could be made. The original game's music only complimented a storyline that truly gave me nightmares. A well deserved remix for an exceptional game.

• 9 months later...

I find it ironic that this would be Reuben's last submission. I didn't check it out properly until today though, and from what has been proven, he showered the original source tune with such grace and beauty that Yoko Shimomura could be proud of. It's times like this that I envy his skills to carry such skill into solo piano and still love him for it. Definitely a highlight as far as Parasite Eve coverage is concerned. :)

• 1 year later...

It always tears me up listening to Reuben's reMixes, because they are all fantastic and his piano reMixes are very mellow and full of emotion. The thing that gets to me the most is that we'll never hear any more new works from him. The world lost a great person on that day.

Love the piece. Very emotional and a great reMix from the great Reuben.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01551 - Parasite Eve "Beauty's Abomination"