Student arrested for creating a game map of his school

Bigfoot

All I can say is welcome to the world of tomorrow, in which we live in fear of each other, and nobody can say one little thing outside of being politically correct without being marked a criminal or a terrorist.

Seriously people, the world's going to hell, and nobody's doing a damn thing about it. What a waste.

Some anonymous parent in the comments for the original article made a great point...

There are just too many non- or mis-educated idiots out there who flip out over things they don't understand and/or misinterpret, willingly spy and report on their neighbors, and love to cultivate this neo-McCarthyist fear-obssesed thought police state etc. etc.

Rather than react every time something new and impressively more stupid happens, parents need to step up and start teaching their kids to be media/culture-savvy, and to know and defend their personal rights. Ideally this poor kid should have known that making a map of his school for an FPS is incredibly risqué--not that that should stop him from having harmless fun, but that he needs to take steps to protect himself for touching on "controversial" issues.

I do hope the family sues the fuck out of the school/law enforcement/everyone ever for caving to such blatant profiling, if only to get some media exposure of their own.

You don't just sit on your ass while this gets worse. Time to accept that white yuppie parents are going to hyperventilate every time they see a gun or a racial and/or class minority etc. and try to jail your kid before he becomes T3H T3RR0AR15T5.

dyne is a terrorist

Ridiculous accusations like that, even jokingly, are what get people into trouble.

Some anonymous parent in the comments for the original article made a great point...

There are just too many non- or mis-educated idiots out there who flip out over things they don't understand and/or misinterpret, willingly spy and report on their neighbors, and love to cultivate this neo-McCarthyist fear-obssesed thought police state etc. etc.

Rather than react every time something new and impressively more stupid happens, parents need to step up and start teaching their kids to be media/culture-savvy, and to know and defend their personal rights. Ideally this poor kid should have known that making a map of his school for an FPS is incredibly risqué--not that that should stop him from having harmless fun, but that he needs to take steps to protect himself for touching on "controversial" issues.

I do hope the family sues the fuck out of the school/law enforcement/everyone ever for caving to such blatant profiling, if only to get some media exposure of their own.

You don't just sit on your ass while this gets worse. Time to accept that white yuppie parents are going to hyperventilate every time they see a gun or a racial and/or class minority etc. and try to jail your kid before he becomes T3H T3RR0AR15T5.

Exactly. That's an EXCELLENT point. People need to stop jumping to conclusions immediately without the facts of the matter at hand. The problem with this situation is the fact that the "fear" of a situation like Virginia Tech or Columbine is a very real matter. On top of that, the fear from the Virginia Tech incident is still fresh in people's minds, hence, you're going to have people jumping on every little situation as though it were on the scale of one of those tragedies. Until people learn to dissect the truth from the situation, these things are going to continue to grow out of proportion until we've no freedoms left to enjoy.

I was going to post, but she just said everything I was going to say.

This just pisses me off. Utter raw rage.

Stupid idiots need to learn how to THINK before they take actions. The guy was INSTRUCTED to use creative freedom.

Jesus motherfucking christ...

Waaaay before Columbine, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, I was planning to make a Duke Nukem map of my school. Not because I was some crazy maniac, but because it was something that I and all the friends I played the game with had a personal connection to, something which we all shared and were familiar with. Plus, there's the challenge of trying to recreate a familiar environment. It wasn't a sign of some sort of violent disconnect with my peers: it was the exact opposite, a product of a sense of camaraderie.

It's no more crazy than having a water gun fight in the school hallway during a summer program--something else we did a couple of times. I've seen maps for games based on famous sites like the Parthenon. Do we need to crack down on those as well, and on anyone who attempts to recreate a real world location?

I am disturbed as to where this conversation is going. I am reporting you all as I type this message.

But in all seriousness, you can't write papers, create maps, or even express yourself through music (Rap, anyone?) without being labled "this" or "that" anymore. Just puttin my 2 cents in.

Anyways, I gotta go take a s**t, and im gonna use the Bill of Rights as TP, cause that's about all it's worth right now. This world is going to get real "V for Vendetta-ish" soon. Get your masks ready =/

Wow, this is my roommate's high school. She's Chinese American. Should I be worried now? ^_~

Obviously.

She's Asian and thus proficient in 25 forms of martial arts. She is also good with firearms because she may have turned on a computer at some point in her life.

Do not use the common secret op trigger words around her like Jackal, Jihad, or Pretzel, or it may trigger a murderous rage.

Man, I'm suddenly glad I never made that Starcraft map of my old school. *shifty eyes*

In all seriousness though, this is bordering on complete retardation. Since when is a hammer a "Terroristic threat"? Or a lite brite a bomb threat? (Think boston) Since when do large groups of people turn into terrified rodents? I can't even imagine what is going to trigger the next major panic. How about a Tickle-me Elmo that drops out of a tree and starts giggling? Or maybe a kid that gets caught with the Calvin and Hobbes comic which talked about him blowing the school to a crater somewhere in his backpack?

I predict that by the end of a two year period, the jails will be overflowing with deliquent third graders who dared to play cops and robbers and fake shooting each other.

I dunno if you guys read some of the comments posted at the bottom of the article, but people in the area surmise that the harsh punishment was actually a political move, due to an upcoming election.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

I was making a game in RPGMaker XP where all the maps were designed after the University of Louisville, but now I'm glad there was an RTP error when it was made and the game wasn't playable.

When I was in high school, some of my friends made a map of our school, but nobody cared. Well, nobody probably knew about it either.

Obviously.

She's Asian and thus proficient in 25 forms of martial arts.

Gotta love how many times that stereotype is used. I can't say much to disprove it though cuz I'm asian and know martial arts....Anyways, poor kid. Honestly, some parents overreact waaay too much sometimes. As for the authorities, I have a hammer in my room, I also have a screw driver set and a Leatherman. Guess I'd be pretty screwed if the cops came knocking on my door.