Merriam-Webster chooses 'w00t' as the word of the year

prophetik music

Truthiness (the 2006 pick) is a lot more modern than woot. Also I thought the original usage of "woot" before it turned into a "yay" or "all right" substitute was an acronym for "we owned the other team"? But nothing seems to say anything about that.

Also, I HATE "woot" with a passion. Just saying.

It's all a ruse, a TIME ruse. See, w00t was actually chosen about four years ago as the word for whachu talkin' 'bout. They put it up in this day and age to annoy the public. Fucking haxxors.

edit: I know that was incredibly cheesy, and I probably didn't even get half a giggle, but I've got nothing else to do.

It's actually kind of funny that this happened because I only really began to use this word (phrase?)after reading what it stands for in a wiki article.

There's nothing like the angry confused look you get from people when you scream "woot." Too much fun.

Well, actually using captain Falcon's taunt on people irl is probably better.

Hmm, I don't think any of the top picks were any good. "Truthiness" was definitely a good choice though.

Oh weird, the article specifically mentions the obscure spelling of "w007" for some bizarre reason. And "w007" is only one character away from "2007". Arg, that must have been their justification for choosing it over the other equally-crappy words. Now I'm sad...

Was "word" the word of the year yet?

My first thought was also "didn't people stop saying that 5 years ago?"

Then again, it seems like most internet jargon only becomes interesting 5 years too late. That's about the time that the 12 years olds have finished giddily beating it to death, and the more cynical folk have started to resurrect it by using it insincerely to mock the original meaning.

My first thought was also "didn't people stop saying that 5 years ago?"

Then again, it seems like most internet jargon only becomes interesting 5 years too late. That's about the time that the 12 years olds have finished giddily beating it to death, and the more cynical folk have started to resurrect it by using it insincerely to mock the original meaning.

I thought the same, but sadly, it's still used insanely too much in online games with text chat (just about all FPS games ever and MMORPGs). And now the blog sites are all about using annoying l33t.