3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

Man... Metal Gear Solid 3 is still one of the greatest games of all time. Still loved it from beginning to end.

I've played through MGS3, Subsistence, and now MGS3D. I pretty much feel that while the camera/aiming control is annoying at first without the Circle Pad Pro, the 3DS version of the game is by far my favorite. Being able to walk/shoot while crouching, and walk while shooting are great additions, and the game is just so damned beautiful. It isn't just an upscaling job they did here like the HD Collection; they redid a lot if not all of the textures, and the game is just so much more colorful than before. Add the camo creation(which can get fun), good 3D, and the ability to take MGS3 with you anywhere, and you can't really go wrong.

The Vita Collection(which now just includes MGS2 and MGS3) will more than likely contain the 3DS version of Snake Eater(minus the 3D), but if you don't already own a Vita or a 3DS, then you'll be out by at least around $300, so you can't go wrong with MGS: Snake Eater 3D.

Now to play through this and RE: Revelations again while I patiently wait for Kid Icarus next week.

I'm glad to see you guys getting such good use out of your 3DS's. I've been feeling pretty down about my 3DS. I got Mario Land and MK7 for Xmas and they were fun for a short period of time. I've also been playing Tales of the Abyss the last month or so, but I don't know if I'll continue. I'm about 11 hours in and it is pretty boring.

I'm not much of an RE fan, and I've played Snake Eater a dozen times and don't think I could stomach it again (though it is my favorite MGS, and I used to be a big MGS fan.) I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem, though I've never played any of the previous ones.

Luckily, Kid Icarus Uprising both a) comes out a little later this month, and B) is said to be PACKED with content. Bonus points for being made by the very sexual, the very toight, Masahiro Sakurai. And it's not a port! Always a plus.

If that don't just tickle ya, there's the upcoming eShop painting application that looks fun as all get out, Colors 3D. Speaking of which, what eShop games do you have? I highly recommend VVVVVV, Mutant Mudds, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Pushmo.

Luigi's Mansion should be right around the corner (prob after June, when Mario Tennis Open drops). And by that time, E3 will be rearing its beautiful head.

I'd hold onto my 3DS if I were you.

Edited by ocre

I'm not going to sell my 3DS, mostly because it's not worth much, but also because I know I'll regret it at some point. At some point the JRPG flood gate will open on the 3DS (just like the DS, hopefully)

I have all the ambassador games, of course, but not much outside that. Pushmo looks cool, and I wanted to get it, but isn't it like 8 dollars? I know that's splitting hairs, but it made me hesitate.

VVVVVV doesn't appeal to me, just because I'm not that patient, and I'm pretty sure I would throw my DS and the hinge would become looser. (I'm not a violent person, but I loosened my hinge on my GBA SP by shaking it after dying for like 20th time in Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis)

My only Hesitation about Kid Icarus is the control setup. Does it support the circle pad pro, or will I be forced to use that plastic stand? You say it seems packed with content, but to me it just seems schizophrenic. It's cool that it has multiplayer but I'm not sure I would ever play it. The AR card battle thing seems pretty off the wall, and not something I would utilize either.

Also are you guys getting any street passes? I don't carry my 3DS much anymore, but I did religiously the first 6 months after launch. I've never gotten street passed, ever. (and yes the wifi switch is ON)

Pushmo is WELL worth its price, if you like quality titles that will engage you with clever blockpulling puzzles and expanded replayability (with QR coded user-generated puzzles); from the stellar developers of the Paper Mario and Fire Emblem series. As for JRPGs, I would REALLY love to see a new original 3DS-specific Tales game to be shown for the system.

I don't carry my 3DS much anymore, but I did religiously the first 6 months after launch. I've never gotten street passed, ever. (and yes the wifi switch is ON)

Before the system hit its stride, they were few and far between but nowadays I get at least 1 every time I go out (department stores, malls, grocery shopping, convenience stores; even just driving around).

Edited by ocre

Took my 3DS grocery shopping today and got my first street pass.

Congratulations! It's cool how many puzzles they've added to the StreetPass Plaza too! I didn't even know there was one for Rhythm Heaven Fever! :3

Also awesome that you can only get the pink puzzle pieces through streetpassing (i.e. not via Play Coins).

Edited by ocre

Since I'm not sure if you're saying the voice acting is bad when you say it made your ears bleed, is it just me or does the volume of the voices in those anime shorts sound really ... LOUD?

They seem to overtop to the point where it's offputting. :| I find myself having to adjust the volume because it's so bad. I hope the actual game's recordings aren't this horrible.

Since I'm not sure if you're saying the voice acting is bad when you say it made your ears bleed, is it just me or does the volume of the voices in those anime shorts sound really ... LOUD?

They seem to overtop to the point where it's offputting. :| I find myself having to adjust the volume because it's so bad. I hope the actual game's recordings aren't this horrible.

Yeah I agree, the volume of the voices in the CGI shorts were too loud. The actual cel-animated ones were fine though.

I like the one where Palutena is chasing the carrots around. I think she might be my new #1 Nintendo girl.

Little of both. Yea I actually felt like the Carrot one, having a focus mainly on comedy was good. That Thanatos one's voice acting hurt my feelings. I was going to preorder kid icarus, but Medusa's revenge actually has me hyped for this game now. Best ad for a game I've seen in awhile.

Not the people that apparently got it already.

I'm reading complaints about everything, from voices to controls to being unusable with the 3D effect on. It's probably just a vocal minority, but it seems that there are issues with the game.

I'll wait until someone here gets it, and then we can get a more detailed breakdown of the game.

Though I hear the multiplayer is supposed to be fun as hell.

Well wait no longer for I am that person.

So I've played two runs of the first two chapters after grabbing it a few hours ago, and I can say that I've been having a blast with it. I'm even more impressed with this because I'm a lefty, and was worried whether or not I'd be able to adapt, but I did, and it's wonderful.

Lemme address those complaints. Naturally this is all just my opinion, but I find the voices pretty great and full of humor, with some comments like "Yeah! Take that... Wall!" and "Everyone's looking for work in this economy, even part-timers!" pretty hilarious given their context. It's true that there is A LOT of voice blocking out what is a pretty epic soundtrack from what I've heard thus far, but it's all funny, and I enjoy it a lot.

As for controls, while there are tons of options like being able to map movement or any command really to the face buttons(even aiming), I really felt most comfortable with the default settings, and you can even test out every change you make in the options menu, even weapons before you equip them. The sky controls are pretty intuitive, but the land controls are the ones that take some getting used to, although you WILL get used to them relatively quickly and you can head to a practice room if you need to brush up. You'll be dodging attacks with precision in no time I think. I started using the stand at first as a sort of training wheel set, but now I feel pretty comfortable, although the stand IS nice(and free). It can also help with 3D alignment, which given the nature of the controls, you might find yourself edging out of on occasion. Again, it's all about getting used to it. Once you do however, you're golden.

I LOVE the arcade feel of the levels. Score attack and loot whoring is the name of this game. Add in variable difficulty with the cauldron, and I'm in heaven. Visuals themselves are really pretty, enemy designs are nice, and as I mentioned before(and as you've no doubt seen earlier in this thread) there's some top talent behind the music and it's really great. Even the menu aesthetics are wonderful(and definitely influenced by Smash Bros.). The weapons themselves are pretty diverse with different attack levels, abilities and weaknesses, like being able to set enemies on fire, or the ability to snipe, or homing shots, etc. There's a lot of replay value here.

TL;DR: First impressions with the game are great and I can't wait for more. Controls have a bit of a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of 'em with time, music is wonderful, banter between characters is great funny, etc.

Fuck the internet minority.

After 2 chapters (one of which I've tackled at 9.0 intensity; fun times) and a handful of online battles(I was wrecking with the Somewhat Staff), I'm very pleased with the game. Thankfully, my worries about the volume of the voice recording has been laid to rest! Everything sounds perfect. I love the fourth-wall-irreverent dialogue.

I will concede that the controls are a bit of a chore to get comfortable with, but with every other aspect of the game poised and polished and gleaming with charm, it's not a dealbreaker. Definitely a welcome edition to the growing list of high quality 3DS retail games. I love this system.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it as well.

Also, SOUND TEST! :3

Also, there's an enemy called a Komayto. This is the description one gets upon scanning the AR Idol card.

"While this creature resembles a certain alien life-form, the last Komaytos are not in captivity and Skyworld is not at peace. Stray too close and it will latch on to you, draining your life energy and restricting your movement." XD

So great music, great sense of humor, great gameplay (minus the somewhat-tricky controls, especially since I'm a lefty)... it's a complete package!!

I have loved this game so far!

Heck I'm even ok with the controls, I really don't know why.

I gotta say when I first heard the voices I thought of that annoying thanatos rising video and I was worried about that. Then I thought to myself "just roll with it it's like Starfox 64" and indeed that was great choice.

I think the best way to sum this game up is that it's Starfox: Assault but amazing.

Essentially the game is a prototype for Nintendo's response to action games like Ninja Gaiden and God of War mixed with Sin & Punishment. So bloody great.

Also Nintendo, please give your future 3D classics the same attention as you did with Kid Icarus 3D. We even get the Famicom Disk System version that has an extra sound channel and variable 3D levels. The only thing that irks me about it however is the lack of touch controls for the lower screen menus. Outside of that though, I appreciate that it's essentially a looking glass into all the stuff that makes Uprising so great.

Now that I actually have internet back, I can give multiplayer a spin. Who's with me?