Liontamer

HELP NEEDED! ReMix Tagging Project! (Genres, Moods, Instrumentation, etc.)

84 posts in this topic

This is something I really wished for several years ago, I'm glad to see it's finally happening! One thing though: why call it 'Terms' on the remix pages instead of 'Tags'? The first time I saw it I thought of Terms of Use ("I thought OCR used creative commons?").

djpretzel likes this

11 hours ago, Zannick said:

This is something I really wished for several years ago, I'm glad to see it's finally happening! One thing though: why call it 'Terms' on the remix pages instead of 'Tags'? The first time I saw it I thought of Terms of Use ("I thought OCR used creative commons?").

Well, the full answer is kind of technical:

• Internally we have a taxonomy table in our database called "terms"
  • Because it is hierarchical, it is possible for two terms with the same name to exist at different levels of the tree, which means their name cannot be guaranteed unique, which would make true use as "tags" problematic because of the potential ambiguity.
  • We also wanted to avoid the impression that we have an OPEN tagging system, where in fact we are using a very controlled vocabulary.
  • Nevertheless, if no one understands "terms" or has the same confusion you did, we should probably just use "tags" since it's more intuitive & common... @DarkeSword, @Liontamer - thoughts?

31 minutes ago, djpretzel said:

Well, the full answer is kind of technical:

• Internally we have a taxonomy table in our database called "terms"
  • Because it is hierarchical, it is possible for two terms with the same name to exist at different levels of the tree, which means their name cannot be guaranteed unique, which would make true use as "tags" problematic because of the potential ambiguity.
  • We also wanted to avoid the impression that we have an OPEN tagging system, where in fact we are using a very controlled vocabulary.
  • Nevertheless, if no one understands "terms" or has the same confusion you did, we should probably just use "tags" since it's more intuitive & common... @DarkeSword, @Liontamer - thoughts?

NP with that change.

djpretzel likes this

How can I see all songs tagged with a specific term?

Not implemented yet. It's coming though. One of the things actively being discussed by staff right now.

timaeus222 likes this

This idea increase a lot the visibility on a remix page !

Will it be possible, in the end, to make a research by tag (as is it yet possible by game, artist...)?

Maybe it would be also interesting to give possibility on a remix page to click on a tag to get to a list of similary remix.

I don't know how it would be complex technically to develop this ; but it could be interesting :)

1 hour ago, bluelighter said:

This idea increase a lot the visibility on a remix page !

Will it be possible, in the end, to make a research by tag (as is it yet possible by game, artist...)?

Maybe it would be also interesting to give possibility on a remix page to click on a tag to get to a list of similary remix.

I don't know how it would be complex technically to develop this ; but it could be interesting :)

That's the plan!

bluelighter likes this