Liontamer

HELP NEEDED! ReMix Tagging Project! (Genres, Moods, Instrumentation, etc.)

93 posts in this topic

This is something I really wished for several years ago, I'm glad to see it's finally happening! One thing though: why call it 'Terms' on the remix pages instead of 'Tags'? The first time I saw it I thought of Terms of Use ("I thought OCR used creative commons?").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zannick said:

This is something I really wished for several years ago, I'm glad to see it's finally happening! One thing though: why call it 'Terms' on the remix pages instead of 'Tags'? The first time I saw it I thought of Terms of Use ("I thought OCR used creative commons?").

Well, the full answer is kind of technical:

  • Internally we have a taxonomy table in our database called "terms"
  • Because it is hierarchical, it is possible for two terms with the same name to exist at different levels of the tree, which means their name cannot be guaranteed unique, which would make true use as "tags" problematic because of the potential ambiguity.
  • We also wanted to avoid the impression that we have an OPEN tagging system, where in fact we are using a very controlled vocabulary.
  • Nevertheless, if no one understands "terms" or has the same confusion you did, we should probably just use "tags" since it's more intuitive & common... @DarkeSword, @Liontamer - thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, djpretzel said:

Well, the full answer is kind of technical:

  • Internally we have a taxonomy table in our database called "terms"
  • Because it is hierarchical, it is possible for two terms with the same name to exist at different levels of the tree, which means their name cannot be guaranteed unique, which would make true use as "tags" problematic because of the potential ambiguity.
  • We also wanted to avoid the impression that we have an OPEN tagging system, where in fact we are using a very controlled vocabulary.
  • Nevertheless, if no one understands "terms" or has the same confusion you did, we should probably just use "tags" since it's more intuitive & common... @DarkeSword, @Liontamer - thoughts?

NP with that change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This idea increase a lot the visibility on a remix page !

Will it be possible, in the end, to make a research by tag (as is it yet possible by game, artist...)?

Maybe it would be also interesting to give possibility on a remix page to click on a tag to get to a list of similary remix.

I don't know how it would be complex technically to develop this ; but it could be interesting :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluelighter said:

This idea increase a lot the visibility on a remix page !

Will it be possible, in the end, to make a research by tag (as is it yet possible by game, artist...)?

Maybe it would be also interesting to give possibility on a remix page to click on a tag to get to a list of similary remix.

I don't know how it would be complex technically to develop this ; but it could be interesting :)

 

That's the plan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SystemsReady said:

I'm down for it. My life isn't so damn hectic anymore so I should be able to go through them in a timely manner.

Can you work on the 500s, starting at 0511? Let me know if you need access to the form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLAHMASTER said:

I'd love to help!  I do not have access to the form.

Sent. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed this, so I wanted to mention that I hear ya, but grad school is going to pick up the pace pretty soon, so I don't think I'll be able to do this in a timely manner. But good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really looking forward to helping with this, but I'm going to have to back out.  :(

I'll check back in when I can actually be productive, but that just isn't the case right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now