• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 djpretzel

djpretzel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia, USA
  • Software - Preferred Plugins/Libraries:[Plugins]: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trilian, Battery, Reaktor, Sylenth1, Zebra2, Hive, Alchemy [Libraries]: Spitfire Albion & BML Series, Heavyocity, Impact Soundworks

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:32 AM

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

#2 CHz

CHz

Data Czar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationFernley, NV

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:49 AM

Oh man, Skrypnyk finally got posted. Congrats, dude. I know this is like your 9001st sub.

Shame you and ambient had to do freaking Schala though. I mean, damn.

Seriously though, nice and mellow goodstuff. I like drums =).

ochh.png
Join Dirge for the Follin! (no fancy images yet :()

#3 Geoffrey Taucer

Geoffrey Taucer

Serious Monkey Business Co-Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:50 AM

Awesome work, both of you.

Ambient, we still need to do Chrono Wigga and submit it to OLR someday.
Posted Image
"No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should."
-Ann Druyan

#4 Radiowar

Radiowar

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Locationcamnda

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:15 AM

oh cool
congrats on getting posted Skrypnyk. I am jealous of your drum skills ): Props to both of you

#5 ILLiterate

ILLiterate

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,615 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo,CA

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

I heard Skrypnyk did the drums for BT's "This Binary Universe" that's how good he is at it :o

It's a jam tastic beat
Posted Image
Blog/Site -ThaSauce - Nice Job Coop

#6 avaris

avaris

Humans + Gears Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Locationnew england

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

Congrats dudes this is one helluva song. Doin a hybrid mix like this isn't easy to pull off. Gotta commend ambient for making Schala interesting again, and Skryp for da mad beatz yo.

#7 MrBogus

MrBogus

Kirby (+1500)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:44 AM

Great ambiance and beatwork slay me every time. Fantastic work guys. Sorry to hear ambient might be gone for a while.

#8 Red Shadow

Red Shadow

Evil Ryu (+14000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,901 posts
  • Locationa stagnant pond

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

IDM percussion with some smooth ambient stuff? Love it.
Posted Image

#9 siven7

siven7

Dan Hibiki (+75)

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

Good submission, guys. Production was really nice, really inventive drums and some really nice sounding samples :)

I thought that the arrangement was a little bit slow, but if you were to say that it meant to just kind of be ambient, then the arrangement would be just fine :) It didn't seem to move a lot for me, but maybe that was the point ;)

Right on :)
Posted Image

#10 OA

OA

Judge, Unsung Heroes Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,893 posts
  • Locationmn, usa

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

Very nice work, I didn't recognize the source at first, and only on my second listen did I catch on. Nice, subtle work. The drums are great, and I love the pads, especially the deep bass ones that come in about halfway through. Melodically I found it a little sparse, but there is a lot of both exploration and evolution in the progression that I really liked.
A+++ will listen again
Posted Image

#11 Less Ashamed Of Self

Less Ashamed Of Self

Bayonetta (+6000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

God damn I like this mix. New IDM is always welcomed on OCR by me.

Instantly played 3 or 4 times, with many more times coming in the future. A contender for my personal top 10 list. Beautiful execution, great recognizable tune, great percussion, great character... hearing some hints of Telefon Tel Aviv closer to the end... maybe it's just the way the hi-hats shuffle up. Another finer point I enjoyed is the... volume tremelo(?) effect at 3:53. Well suited to an ending and an effect not frequently used.

Not that it matters; but you totally, if only subconsciously, ripped the mute beats from 2:18-2:19 off of Ziwtra's Desert Snowstorm.

Excellent work guys. Skrypnyk especially, I would love to cross paths with you again, in person or musically.

#12 anclunn

anclunn

Robo (+700)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationSee 'Dream Land'

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

I approve, though I don't think Schala really needed another revisting. It's a great mix all the same.
Kirby Dance!
Posted Image

#13 WesPip

WesPip

Pikachu (+5000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,127 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:08 AM

Nice to see such an esoteric little tune being remixed.

I like the style of it, but I can't really put my finger on why. I think it's the would-be breakbeats. I dunno though.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Click the sig for the Sig Shoppe.

#14 The Instrumental Light

The Instrumental Light

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

Decent, although not my favorite one. However, there were several parts in there I really liked because it had a MegaMan X type of sound. Overall, good job on and keep on working on mixes:smile:

#15 Dr. Rod

Dr. Rod

Alex Kidd (+200)

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

This was pretty good...I think the arrangement couldve been a bit more dynamic in places, but the atmosphere was pretty chill. And Im glad to see a Schala arrangement that goes a little more outside the box. I just wish it had a bit more dynamic variance to it.....good job though : )

#16 A-RoN

A-RoN

Terry Bogard (+1300)

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

Taucer and I thought of a name for a joke remix - Chrono Wigga. It was intended for OLR, and we planned to put some "white" rapper vocals and wah-wah guitars in there.

Let's hope I wasn't in mind when you thought of making the joke tune. I'm actually part Philipino for those who need an education on my "heritage." LOL

Anyway, I love this mix. Downtempo chillage galore! The flamming effects are well done. This type of genre's hard to do since most loop bpms need to be either multiplied or divided in half to get the goods. The synthwork besides the synthetic drum fx is very basic but keeps to the source tune nicely. I also like the lead. What kind of sample is it?

8/10

"You have no idea how high I can fly." - Micheal Scott, The Office

5449569.jpg

Chiptunes | Soundtracks | Twitter | Facebook | Webcomic

#17 anosou

anosou

THE ANSWER Director, Kaleidoscope Composer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

I like drums. =)

Posted Image

#18 ShrikeArghast

ShrikeArghast

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStorrs, CT

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

I've always loved Schala tracks. This one reminds me a LOT of Jon Hallur's work in EVE Online. Fantastic stuff.
I like using the female avatars. It makes me feel more... uhm... 'in touch' with my feminine side.

#19 Martin Penwald

Martin Penwald

Donkey Kong (+2600)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationBack in Europe

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

I don't really care for Chrono Trigger remixes, since there's an awful lot of them. However, this one blew me away. The ambient style of the song works very well, and the drums are simply amazing. I can't think of any other recent song where I had so much fun just listening to the drums.

Excellent work.
"It won't matter soon anyway, because this forum won't exist. So why don't you just phase out like a good little unmodder?"

#20 Unmei

Unmei

Glass Joe (+10)

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

I really, really like this one guys. Schala's is such a great theme, and you still managed to make a great mix with different ideas and a different groove. Love! =]
--------------------
Professor of my first CompSci programming class:
"This isn't only a class about intuition, it's a class about thinking like an idiot."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collab, strings, synth, glitching, electronic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums