Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM

First off, I'm a huge fan of OCR, and you guys really nailed it this time. This feels a little more of a soundtrack than other OCR Albums, where I feel like you could throw this in the game and it'd work perfectly. Not to say the others wouldn't, but sometimes remixes are based off of themes rather than atmosphere, but this album is a great medium.

But I do have to comment on a type of song, which is present in the album. Specifically, the Kong In Kongcert song. These type of vocal songs show up now and then on albums, and I have to say, I'm really not a fan. I almost always hit next when these songs come on, where it just feels weird and out of place. I think vocal tracks are cool now and then, like the Hot Head Bop from the DKC2 album. But this? It's like it's pandering to a 12 year old girl demographic. But most of all, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album. The rest of the tracks range from atmospheric to intense melodies, but that song is just.. not up to par. It's not the music quality, it's the idea of some dude screaming about revolution on a stage. I think the same thing about the Link track on the Heroes v. Villains, and the Tunnel Rhino track on Maverick Rising.

Just an opinion. Thanks again for the album.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 AM
OK, We'll Groove/Random Encounter Director
Dark Force (+9000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

It must suck to be so turned off by the human voice... probably doesn't make life particularly easy for you.

The Wettening ... Donate ... Endless Night ... Final Fantasy III

"Requiescat in pace." ~Ezio Auditore
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Michael Birch, Judge, Double the Trouble! Producer
Kraid (+1200)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Here's the thing, pmac: I think you're spot on with your comments about the overall feel of a soundtrack. Emunator did a fantastic job squeezing the best possible songs out of the remixers, and Cody and Emu poured many hours into making sure the album flowed *perfectly*. Obviously, it shows, and it's really kind of you to mention that you noticed that.

That said, I think you're really doing a disservice to Robbie (AkumajoBelmont) and Jason by downplaying their track. It's a perfectly legitimate genre, and one that was MASSIVE in many portions of Europe for a long time. Certainly, "only for 12-year-olds" is rather inaccurate.

Everyone is, of course, firmly entitled to their personal opinions, and there's obviously going to be likes and dislikes of every song along the way. I would, however, entreat you to keep in mind that a LOT of work went into each song, and publicly decrying it as "sub-par" is not a terribly great way of approaching it.

Plus, if you're not a big fan of the Eurodance style, try the hard-edged breakbeat remix I did on the bonus disc!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 AM

Mhm, I'm just expressing my opinion. Maybe the criticism was a bit too rough, I just can't imagine it being an uncommon sentiment. I'm very well aware of the hard work that went into all these songs. OCR is a great community, and I really appreciate that hard work that goes into the albums.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Ryan McMurry
Octorok (+200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Mhm, I'm just expressing my opinion. Maybe the criticism was a bit too rough, I just can't imagine it being an uncommon sentiment. I'm very well aware of the hard work that went into all these songs. OCR is a great community, and I really appreciate that hard work that goes into the albums.
Well in my track-to-track review so far, I also didn't praise the song entirely as something I liked in terms of style. I was trying to piece it together as it played as a First Impression review, instead of listening over and over (and for 80 songs that's just crazy time I dont have).
BUT, despite that I'm also kinda "weird" when listening to vocal remix tracks, I put it aside, let it play and just listened. Subjectively looking at the song instead of just rejecting it due to my personal taste. Plus I was reviewing it so... I didn't want to be rude (acknowledging that I did knock Funky's Theme pretty good... I was still trying to review the song despite the genre and subject matter not in my palette).
It's not a style I like but there are many cool things going on in the song and the singer does have a good voice. It's production and arrangement sound pro too so despite where it may sit on my list of favs from the album, I wanted to be fair to anyone who may read the whole review.

I still gotta get Discs 3 and 4 going... but I have atleast another day or so of finals

DeviantArt
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Wes M., Judge, Double the Trouble! Director
Ghaleon (+2250)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored_Man View Post
Is there a deadline for us giving album reviews to get the bonus stuff? I'd like to take a crack at it, but I have other things to focus on, so I'm not sure when I will do so.
Nope, no "deadline" or anything

· OCR Staff · Judge· Double the Trouble Director · ARMed and DANGerous Co-Assistant Director · Zelda: Ocarina of Time Project Co-Director
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM
John
Dan Hibiki (+50)

I actually wish there were more lyrical songs on the album :s

Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Slight oversight I found in the torrent file. The FLAC versions of FrosTronix and Dive in the bonus disc are not present.
Otherwise, I haven't enjoyed an OCR album this much since THE ANSWER. Congrats to everyone involved!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Steven Thurmond
Goomba (+100)

I felt that the games OST held everything back. It's not nearly as good as the first or second games.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Jeremy Waters, Serious Monkey Business Co-Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Geoffrey Taucer
Absolutely fantastic project.

Will go through and leave more specific notes later.

"No single step in the search for enlightenment should ever be considered sacred; only the search should."
-Ann Druyan