ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on patreon

Sponsors: Bart Verbeek, Cynical Brit, Matt (aka Antidragon), Michael Beauchamp, Wesley "Bahamut" Cho.. + hundreds of supporters! Thanks!!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Mattias Häggström Gerdt, THE ANSWER Director, Kaleidoscope Composer
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
I thought Tretton said it would ONLY be playable on the PS3?
On launch...

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Kevin Kruse
Luigi (+2000)

Not that I dont want this game... but really, How do you expect me to even get excited for this when the slew o ff13 games have yet to be released?
Also.
Nobuo is doing the music again

A man lasts a generation. However his name lasts forever

Last edited by linkspast; 06-03-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkspast View Post
Not that I dont want this game... but really, How do you expect me to even get excited for this when the slew o ff13 games have yet to be released?
This is the problem I have. I want to be really excited, but I'm still rather dumbfounded by it all. At first I thought it was Jack Trenton confusing FFVersusXIII with FFXIV like they goofed Valkyria Chronicles as a PSP release last year.

Well we'll have to wait until SE's press conference tomorrow to see if they give any details about it at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Shariq Ansari, Judge, Moderator, For Everlasting Peace Director
Sheng Long (+10000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkspast View Post
Because it's a different kind of game? It's not like they're releasing FF7 and FF8 (which are both single-player RPGs) back to back. XIII and XIV are a single-player RPG and an online/MMO game; they don't really compete with each other.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Akuma (+1100)

Considering all the great updates that made FFXI great in the last couple of months, I wouldn't be surprised if they finally do good on this.

Hurray for Galkans.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Andrew Harrell
Sheng Long (+10000)

I play FFXI myself, with my wife. Great game and I'm excited about this. Just have to wait for the PC version.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Kevin Kruse
Luigi (+2000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeSword View Post
Because it's a different kind of game? It's not like they're releasing FF7 and FF8 (which are both single-player RPGs) back to back. XIII and XIV are a single-player RPG and an online/MMO game; they don't really compete with each other.
Yeah but thats not my problem... I just cant afford the two.

A man lasts a generation. However his name lasts forever
Old 06-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Luigi (+2000)

You know, with the rarity in people actually doing ps2 online (forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong. I just don't see anyone that did it.) this should be a much more successful game. PS3 right out of the box has free online play. I don't know if I'll get it, seeing as I've never done an mmo before, but I'll definately keep my eye on it.

"I have yet to see an argument that will stand up to Christianity.... And believe me, I've looked." - Myself.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Andrew Harrell
Sheng Long (+10000)

Yeah, but you still have to pay the monthly fee, which to a lot of people is like paying for Live Gold. Plus as far as people have told me, the 360 version of FFXI doesn't require xbox live gold, but its still kinda considered a lower tier MMO to most groups. Unforunately I'm on the Odin server, which is packed full to the point that they offer world transfers monthly. I considered doing it, but unforunately I'd have to transfer my wife, and her mother and brother both play too, so its just a big mess.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Red Mage (+400)

I've played FFXI for years now, and the most puzzling part of this announcement was the fact that previously SE had started that their next MMO would have nothing to do with FFXI. While this does not directly tie into FFXI, it essentially looks like they are making the same game, in a different world, with the same races, and somewhat obviously, much better graphics.

As a longtime player, this does look pretty cool though, and as long as there is a PC version, I can see myself giving it a shot.

I think it's definitely true that when FFXI launched, not many people had their PS2 connected to the internet and the hard drive needed to play FFXI, versus now with PS3 owners who obviously have a hard drive since the system comes with one and are presumably connected to the internet. This will be a lot easier for people who are interested to just buy and jump into, which could help the game's sales numbers, especially given the FF brand again. That said, don't expect it to be anything like EQ(2), WoW, or any North-American based MMO. FFXI is a bit of a unique, somewhat oldschool black sheep in the MMO market, and I would expect FFXIV to be much the same despite the passage of time between games, I guess time will tell.