Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Bonus-Kun (+3000)

I played XI for a while myself, even got one job up to 75/37 though I kinda decided MMORPGs weren't for me and trailed off. So I don't know if I'd get into this.

I don't think it'd hurt to keep it in Vana'Diel though, it's a cool world.

"The Murray knows no song, but the triumphant horn section of his own triumpth!"
-Example of Murray's incredible verbal dexterity in Sly Cooper 3.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Red Mage (+400)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyosuki View Post
I played XI for a while myself, even got one job up to 75/37 though I kinda decided MMORPGs weren't for me and trailed off. So I don't know if I'd get into this.

I don't think it'd hurt to keep it in Vana'Diel though, it's a cool world.
Just one? (Pay no attention to me...)

That said the trailer did at least confirm that it won't be Vana'diel, it will be Eorzea, which from the trailer seems to feature FFXII-like airships (that sort of star wars feel), large flying monsters (could that have been a possible summon?) tail-less Galkas (but those were totally Galkas!), and a hill very similar to the same hill in the first CS of FFXI... weird, but very.... Square.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Bad Dude (+500)

Send a message via AIM to NeoForte
Yea this is coming to PC and 360 as well. Make no mistakes about that. I'm pretty excited about this game, maybe a bit more than 13 o.o

Also about it being weird having 2 FF games announced so soon, think back when FF9 was announced, they also announced 10 and 11 as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Shawn Overn
Goomba (+100)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to abg
This really caught my attention today. I played a lot of FFXI back in the day and even recently restarted playing casually. I've been moving away from playing games on my PC though, so to be able to play on PS3 on my couch with a widescreen tv sounds promising

I just hope they make PvP more accessible, that was my only complaint with XI.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Strider Hiryu (+5000)

If you look at the artwork on the main site, you'll see that it resembles the aesthetic they had on the Rapture concept video a few years back. It would be interesting if they're positioning this as a sort of "reboot" to the FFXI world.

So damned excited about the Square-Enix press conference later today.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Mattias Häggström Gerdt, THE ANSWER Director, Kaleidoscope Composer
Bonus-Kun (+3000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoForte View Post
Yea this is coming to PC and 360 as well. Make no mistakes about that. I'm pretty excited about this game, maybe a bit more than 13 o.o

Also about it being weird having 2 FF games announced so soon, think back when FF9 was announced, they also announced 10 and 11 as well.
PC is confirmed, 360 is not. Also, global release!

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/03...lobal-release/
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Mother Brain (+4000)

Wasn't FFXI supposed to be the most grind-happy of all the various MMOs out? I'm down with Final Fantasy and all and I think it'd be fun to play a dragoon or something, but with everything I've heard about FFXI I'm going to have to hear some confirmation about this sucking less (for lack of a more subtle phrase) before I get excited about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Bonus-Kun (+3000)

Quote:
Just one? (Pay no attention to me...
Yup. I did do stuff afterwards and had Bard around 50 (not hard). And hey, to my credit, that first 75 job was Ninja...and I was a Tarutaru.

This was before they started to fix up the economy way back too, so that wasn't the easiest first job to bring up but It was too badass.

Briefly looking, my beloved job's barely gotten much of anything new since I was on years ago, while they've practically doted on PLD. Still don't even have Jubaku and Dokumori Ni. Bastards. lol

"The Murray knows no song, but the triumphant horn section of his own triumpth!"
-Example of Murray's incredible verbal dexterity in Sly Cooper 3.

Last edited by Kiyosuki; 06-03-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Andrew Harrell
Sheng Long (+10000)

I started playing FFXI after they added level syncing, and apparently that changed the system greatly. Everyone I've talked to that has played it and other MMOs seems to say that WoW is the most grinding tedious MMO around though.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Red Mage (+400)

It is pretty grind-happy, but I'd say the difference between now and years ago is that they have finally added some very practical ways to get exp without having to be in a full party, making it a lot more friendly to play than it used to be. If I had to guess, FFXIV will have a lot of this stuff implemented from the get-go so hopefully it won't get the same reputation FFXI originally had of being incredibly time consuming to do anything (which for the first few years, was pretty true I'd say).

Class (or as they like to say, job) balance still has it's issues, though most jobs are fine there are still a few that do very little other than get laughed at by the majority of players. This is something that has been the case forever with different jobs at different stages of it's update history, so I wouldn't be surprised if this trend repeats itself in FFXIV (but it would be nice if it didn't.). For example, Kiyosuki brought up the Ninja job, which is a perfect example of a job that hasn't gotten anything new in literally years, while some jobs like Samurai and White Mage (yes, White Mage of all things) have gotten amazing new abilities.